Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kit Car with VW Van engine/transaxle (need help identifying)
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff911C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Kit Car with VW Van engine/transaxle (need help identifying) Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new to the form, I recently bought a Covin here in the USA and it has a VW Van engine/trans in it. It has a carb on it that looks kinda janked up if you ask me. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if it was a fuel injected engine that was converted to carb and anymore info on the engine or trans. I have added pictures to help, but on the block it has CV039523 and the starter turns it over and sounds like it has good compression but I'm not getting spark at all. The carb will spit fuel back, it also has an electric fuel pump that is working fine it seems. I'm trying to confirm its a van model from 1980 to 83...

Thanks in advance!

Engine Code?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hydraulic?

Rear

Drivers Side transaxle

Pass Side transaxle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV 1980-1983 2000cc - Vanagon style
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carburettor's a British 'S.U.' probably off something like an old Jag, MG or Triumph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..type 4 / vanagon engine and it would have been FI.

Did the engine run previously and stop working or did you buy it in non running condition?
Check that you have power to the coil
Check that the points are not burned up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff911C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
Yes..type 4 / vanagon engine and it would have been FI.

Did the engine run previously and stop working or did you buy it in non running condition?
Check that you have power to the coil
Check that the points are not burned up

The guy I bought the car from didn't have the knowledge to fix it, so I bought it non running. He did claim to buy a new coil, cap, rotor button, and wires. Which he did install, but he didn't know how to jump start the car off the starter and lost interest. I made a make shift wiring harness to fire it up and it turned over great, sounded strong, but wouldn't fire up. The carburetor back fired some dirty fuel out of its intake side some (meaning fuel was being compressed) but nothing fired. I am going to check the coil to see if its working next I guess. I want to go EJ Subaru powered, but I love air cooled engines for the simplicity... the vanagen also had 90hp correct? Thanks for the post guys!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all T4's were fuel injected. Plenty are still running with center mount carburetors, just not SU's. A little odd that someone stuck the SU on there, you might be better off going back to a stock setup or even a Weber progressive, despite some debate on those. With the proper carburetor, the engine should put out somewhere around 80-85hp depending on it's overall health, of course. Great T4 specific subforum on the "other" aircooled site if you really wanted to get into it Very Happy
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw an SU on a VW - but then most Covin's are in UK. Get a pair of T4 aftermarket carbs and gain 10 hp. Post picture of the car -- love them.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make usre that the plug wires are in the correct order
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: