Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing stubborn stripped door screws.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Removing stubborn stripped door screws. Reply with quote

My 68 bug has stubborn stripped screws... Has anybody had anyluck with just plug welding a nut over the top of them and using a socket to break the f£^ker's free? It its used for studs and it seems to work.. better then drilling them out...(Don't have the right types or drill bit or a tapper..)

Also speaking of better replacements then philips heads. anybody know of any place in that states that I can get these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BEETLE-STAINLESS-STEEL-...3eef5f7b11
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd put my faith into this more then the mild steel that freaking strips if you sneeze at it. If not then i'll gladly pay the shipping to get them over here... I'm just not thrilled about the old screwed up screws on these MN cars, they may have been great back in 1968 and 1966 but time and neglect sure as hell hasn't made them nice...
slagathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say look at mcmaster carr for those. they carry every type of bolt, nut and screw along with a whole other bunch of industrial needs.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get them out use this: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/wivco-shake-n-break-air-impact-screw-remover-th28000-p-15601.aspx or one of the many similar impact removers that go into an air hammer. The welding sometimes works, but a shitload of vibration usually wins.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an impact driver with very good luck. Didn't round any off. I was amazed as to just how tight those screws were. They weren't rusted either which really baffled me for as tight as they were. When replacing them I just used new screws with anti-seize on them.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap stainless steel is only for holding on a license plate so make sure you are using something hardened. If you use something from a bin at a home center ,they are brittle and stretch a lot.

If you can source some OEM screws , they will be fine. Use some anti-sieze on them and make sure to tighten/remove them with a tool that does not allow the bit to twist it's way out.

Also ,shipping on small items from the UK is not that much to the states.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: