Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Apollo 11 Volkswagen Moon Caravan
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Apollo 11 Volkswagen Moon Caravan Reply with quote

Watched the NOVA program on Neil Armstrong. They had a video from up above and it was endless Buses camping. An article said up to 100 Volkswagen Apollo Caravan were involved. The only pics I can find....

Any more info?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--

Last edited by Long-roofs on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting..

all I'd found so far. has your 1st image in the article.

Quote:
Apollo 11 VW caravan
On July 16, 1969, my family was a part of a caravan of Volkswagen buses who traveled to Cape Kennedy to watch the Apollo 11 launch. The caravan of buses were sponsored by a local VW dealer. We overnighted on a sand spit across the waterway from the launch site, and awoke early to be ready for lift off. Folks around us cooked breakfast and visited until launch time. The sky was hazy and bright, but I dutifully watched the eastern skyline as the rocket blasted off, as my dad had told me this was very important and memorable. My aunt and uncle were watching at the Cape, as my uncle was a clerk for the space program, having worked with Werner Von Braun. Four days later, we watched on our tiny black and white tv at home in Dr's. Inlet, Florida, as Neil Armstrong took his first step onto the moon's surface. Submitted by Jan Martin Hutchens, almost 5 in this photo, with my mother, Nell Martin, and brother Robert, photo taken by my father Joe Martin. Launch photo taken by my mother. Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

source: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-301194

and a search on your 2nd image returns this article.
source: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-07-19/stor...NmMiqb5dBQ
JJAJR on Sunday, July 19, 2009 @ 12:48 pm wrote:
I remember and was part of the Volkswagen Van Caravan that was sponsored by Al Sager Volkswagen. The night before the launch everyone who owned a Volkswagen van assembled at the Phillips Highway shopping center parking lot. We were given a box lunch for every passenger in the vans and a decal was stuck on the sides of the vans that said "Apollo 11 Moon Caravan".

We departed the shopping center around 11PM and traveled down US 1 toward Cape Canaveral. All you could see in front of you were miles and miles of tail lights and in the rear view mirror were miles and miles of head lights!

We arrived at a reserved location on the river to watch the space shot. It was beautiful! The thing that I remember about the launch the most is the color of the flame from the rocket. It was gold!

After the launch we all left for home but we were not in the same formation that we were in on the way down. It was a huge traffic jam. What a great memory!

and since you've piqued my interest here's a great personal diary on accounts of apollo 11
http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14101
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you mention the NOVA Neil Armstrong program... I just watched it last night. It was GREAT.

I had to call the wife in to see all the dubs lined up & camping out to watch the launch
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a photo here,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279114&start=300

from the bus movie sighting thread. About halfway down the page.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.... so that's what the signs on the sides say, that video first showed up in 2009 during the 40'th anniversary of the moon trip, so many white bay campers as well as a few deluxes and some splitties, cool.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how Neil Armstrong, 2 years after reaching the pinnacle of his career, he was out of NASA and living on a farm in Ohio. He was a rock star and just got out, was never comfortable with his stardom.

Another photo:

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding, I've read and watched a few things on Niel, he definitely didn't look at it like it was a big deal and just kept moving along with his life, did the job, been there done that, now it's boring what's next?. Very cool guy nonetheless, they don't make many like that anymore.

Here's another photo:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Lincoln with the hitch. You know it pulled that pop-up next to it, family of 6 and all their gear.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone spot the oval geman plate on the dark bay westy in the upper right?
Aside from the location it could have been my family in the Econoline in the lower right, Dad had an ex budget rental van in a fetching shade of Macco yellow just like that around that time that he had a camper interior installed in. The smell of bacon on a Coleman stove mixed with gas fumes and rubber mat stink never ever leaves you Wink Smile

Слава Україні!
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: bacon Reply with quote

That could have .been 'Kevin Bacon' in that dark blue Westy making breakfast. Razz
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its interesting that there are so many bays. I was under a somewhat impression that my parents generation was "frugal" in that a new car was more of a luxury. Id of expected to see more splits.

But judging by the photo it would seem they had every bit the voracious appetite to have the latest new thing out?

Or the dealer offered this trip to new car buyers only Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a quick editorial piece that briefly mentions the 100-bus caravan disturbing sleep at 5:30 AM:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=WVVQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kFcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5476%2C7028146

Also a newsphoto and caption.

bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents are neighbors with him at there beach condo, very cool guy Cool
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one with a bit more around the edges. The "Rocket Men" movie was pretty great for what it's worth... The helicopter shot of the buses/crowd is about 5 seconds.

Brian wrote:
I was watching a documentary last night about the space race called Rocket Men. A helicopter flew by showing everyone camped out to watch one of the launches.

P.s. Armstrong had passed the point of no return (fuel) when landing. If he had missed touchdown that would have been it. The final bit was actually much more dramatic than people today know. Apparently his heartbeat through all of this wasn't much higher than his resting heart rate. Gerald Schaber monitored Armstrong's vitals while running out of fuel and overshooting the planned landing of their module. He said:

Quote:
"It was really slow on the way down," he says, "while Aldrin's was racing. But that was typical of Neil. Just like the first thing he really said was, 'Houston we have engine shut down here,' really calmly. Mission control told him to he speak again. It was then he said, 'The eagle has landed,' for the TV networks. He was just that cool."

people back then were so much more than we are today.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Here is another one with a bit more around the edges. The "Rocket Men" movie was pretty great for what it's worth... The helicopter shot of the buses/crowd is about 5 seconds.

Brian wrote:
I was watching a documentary last night about the space race called Rocket Men. A helicopter flew by showing everyone camped out to watch one of the launches.

P.s. Armstrong had passed the point of no return (fuel) when landing. If he had missed touchdown that would have been it. The final bit was actually much more dramatic than people today know. Apparently his heartbeat through all of this wasn't much higher than his resting heart rate. Gerald Schaber monitored Armstrong's vitals while running out of fuel and overshooting the planned landing of their module. He said:

Quote:
"It was really slow on the way down," he says, "while Aldrin's was racing. But that was typical of Neil. Just like the first thing he really said was, 'Houston we have engine shut down here,' really calmly. Mission control told him to he speak again. It was then he said, 'The eagle has landed,' for the TV networks. He was just that cool."

The above piece of film footage was also used in the motion picture, The Right Stuff Cool
johnt55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Apollo 11 Volkswagen Moon Caravan Reply with quote

I was there that morning.

In fact, I still have an extra one of those signs that say,"Volkswagen Moon Caravan."

I seem to recall that it may have been organized by a local VW dealer. But I may be wrong about that. We had this section of beach all to ourselves, but it was still several miles from the launch site. Stick out your thumb at arms length and that's about how big the rocket was to us on the beach.

I clearly remember than many of us were up all night, drinking, etc. But as soon as they started the countdown everyone got very quiet. As if everyone got sober instantly, you know? Not a sound. It was a few seconds after the ignition was seen before you could actually hear it. The waters of the inland bay which we were parked alongside actually rippled with the roar of the rocket engines. Even 5 miles away you could feel the vibration it in your feet.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swore I saw a cell phone in this persons hand taking a selfie when it first scrolled onto the screen...

Long-roofs wrote:

1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Apollo 11 Volkswagen Moon Caravan Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't agree, but I'll confess I've thought this in the past.

Now I've met young people who make every bit as proud to have the same number of chromosomes.
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Apollo 11 Volkswagen Moon Caravan Reply with quote

Here's the short clip -- all glorious 6 seconds

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: