Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Drum Brands Available? Quality?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Brake Drum Brands Available? Quality? Reply with quote

So........
Obviously I'm Rebuilding my 86 Vanagon Camper.

I'm at the brakes stage.
I've read much about crap brakes made in Japan. I Myself even have a bias against them but finding brake drums or rotors made elsewhere is getting more and more difficult.
I got Bremo front rotors...... Italian made...... Made in China.

I shop local when I can. I Have a great parts guy who bends over backwards to help me and also likes the volume I purchase for company vehicles as well!

He just got me Centric rear drums...... Of course made in China.

My usage is gentle. No frantic stop and go driving, just leisurely vacation jaunts.

Maybe 5000 miles a year? Maybe........

Anyone have experience with these drums?
Yes, yes I know..... Seek out quality OEM German Drums...... In a perfect world maybe I Would....... If I MUST, I will...... But........

I'm really just looking for any feed back from those who have used them. What I Read on line about Centric is largely good. Many recommend their products over the likes of Raypestos and others.

I don't want to cheap out on something so important when I am so close to the finish line but I am not looking for high performance stuff either.
I just want decent dependable quality drums.

Thanks for your time!

Bad photo... Sorry..... Crying or Very sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new drums I bought from GW (pretty sure they were ATE) started pulsating after only 1k miles. Yes, I even had them turned before installing.

Stephan (from SAH) swears that Zimmerman drums are the only drums that should be put on a Westy. I did so and have had no issues since. Very Happy

Brakes are no place to scrimp on any money.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Zimmermann!

Like most big brake companies, Brembo, Centric and others have a few different levels of brake components. Centric has at least two and I can tell you from experience that the top-tier components are a pretty good product, but their lower level stuff is pure junk. I don't think they have any options with the Vanagon rear drums and by the pricing, I highly doubt they are from the top-tier group.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Auto shows two levels of Centric $24 for the super cheap drum and $32 for the preferred. They also list the ATE Part # 480046 for $104.00 12 month warranty on it. I have had good results with ATE in the past for brake components, but what a difference in price!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Ken Wilford at VanAgain. He carries Zimmerman and is in your neck of the woods. I get my order to MD the next day via UPS ground, no extra charge. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I decided that since I've already got these drums, they were fairly priced and my usage is minimal, I'm going to be the Guinea Pig and run them.

I'll see what problems if any arise.

No one has any real feedback on this Centric brand so I'll blaze that trail.

If they aren't any good...... Oh well...... Everyone here will know that and can avoid them.

Thanks for the recommendations for other brands...... I Should have asked BEFORE buying....... Not after! Embarassed

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used some centric parts. They worked, but were obviously cheap. If I get a part off EBay or Amazon on the cheap I generally opt for Doorman. I am sure they are Chinese made but with an eye on quality control. I have had some parts outright not fit , when I ordered the same Doorman part I had no problem whatsoever. Mainly on my 15 year old Buick, I have had some Doorman parts that were superior to the original OEM part on the car.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was spurred by an earlier post ,that I am unable to find regarding GW new Finned rear brake drums which are now available. Just for giggles I looked On E bay and Centric also makes finned drums as well.
The GW units are thicker on mounting side and have built in threads to ease in removal. A superior product I am sure.
The Centric units can be had for under $20.00 @ . I wonder if the Centrics are worth the risk and if the finned units are close to a non finned unit in cooling or if they found they can use less material by using fins Versus a thicker drum.
I am looking for someone who used either one. I just had a brake job/ upgrade done and was holding out on the drums until the GW boys launched theirs. It's now time decide.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my drums at AutoZone. Made in Germany. I was pretty surprised by that, actually. About $35 each, if I remember correctly.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"usage is minimal"

that isn't the real issue - a panic stop is...
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
Bought my drums at AutoZone. Made in Germany. I was pretty surprised by that, actually. About $35 each, if I remember correctly.

do you remember the brand you got from AZ? thanks

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of Zimmermann on my van and they ran true right out of the box. I found them at NAPA for a good price, and the box said made in Germany. They were noticeably higher quality than most of the crappy drums I've seen, including the ones that are on there now.

My Zimmermanns died an early death when I took the rig in for a four wheel alignment. The alignment guy did a nice job, but apparently rear brakes were not his strong suit. He did a "courtesy" rear brake adjustment while he was under there and failed to mention that to me. My nice new German drums burned up on the way home. He made it right...sort of...

I see GW now has their big finned drums available, link below. Next time I do the job, I'd be tempted to use Zimmermanns again - they looked the part if nothing else.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24307&category_id=253&category_parent_id=
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

do you remember the brand you got from AZ? thanks

Sorry, didn't see your response/question until now. I don't recall the brand and if memory serves, it came in a plain white box. I already had one new drum (also from Germany) that came with the van when I bought it. They both looked nicely turned and well made.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Brembo gone down hill? Reply with quote

I decided on a quick rear brake job before a holiday trip. Just got a pair of Brembo rear drums. One looked normal, like any new drum coming out of the box. The other looked like *&%#@ in comparison. Identical looking Brembo boxes and labels except for one little detail. The box for the nice one said "Made in Italy" in tiny letters. The other one said "Made in ??????" a country with 5 letters ending in an A.

The ugly one looked like some casting slag had been chiseled off and the lug holes looked like they had been chamferred with a hand drill after the fact.

Grrrrrr
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drum Brand Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Mark.

Even with the slight bump in the road, I hope that you enjoy your Holiday.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drum Brand Reply with quote

Just bought and installed a set of Zimmerman rear drums that I bought through NAPA. Seem well made and run true with no pulsations right out of the box.
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drum Brand Reply with quote

I think the Centric drums on ebay are not finned like the ad would lead us to think they are. That must be a stock photo of a random 5 hole drum that happens to have fins in the ad. They have the part number in the description listed as a Centric 122.33008. When I look that number up on Rock Auto I get a Centric drawing that looks like an ordinary smooth Vanagon drum. The ebay ad also lists the manufacturer as Power Slot. Is Power Slot a division of Centric? So far the only finned drums I've seen are the Go Westy units.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centric-Parts-122-33008-Br...0440713904

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drum Brand Reply with quote

vwjoel wrote:
I think the Centric drums on ebay are not finned like the ad would lead us to think they are. That must be a stock photo of a random 5 hole drum that happens to have fins in the ad. They have the part number in the description listed as a Centric 122.33008. When I look that number up on Rock Auto I get a Centric drawing that looks like an ordinary smooth Vanagon drum. The ebay ad also lists the manufacturer as Power Slot. Is Power Slot a division of Centric? So far the only finned drums I've seen are the Go Westy units.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centric-Parts-122-33008-Br...0440713904

The Centric 122.33008 are absolutely NOT finned.

They are what I installed and 7,000 miles later are performing without issue.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brembo gone down hill? Reply with quote

Well, my fears were realized. After doing the rear brakes with new Brembo drums, one from Italy and one from China there was a slight pulse in the brake pedal. Better than before the brake job so I went on my planned trip. The pulsing seemed to get gradually worse over time. With another trip planned I got some more drums of another brand. I decided to replace them one at a time so I would know which drum was the problem, if either. I happened to change the one from China first. That cured the pulsing.

The bad China Brembo drum had blue discoloration on about 1/3 of the rim after maybe 2000 miles of use.

Mark

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I decided on a quick rear brake job before a holiday trip. Just got a pair of Brembo rear drums. One looked normal, like any new drum coming out of the box. The other looked like *&%#@ in comparison. Identical looking Brembo boxes and labels except for one little detail. The box for the nice one said "Made in Italy" in tiny letters. The other one said "Made in ??????" a country with 5 letters ending in an A.

The ugly one looked like some casting slag had been chiseled off and the lug holes looked like they had been chamferred with a hand drill after the fact.

Grrrrrr
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drum Brands Available? Quality? Reply with quote

How are the CENTRIC brakes holding up for you. Looking around for less expensive options and Rock Auto has the Centric rear drum kit for $100.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: