Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission: 1973 412 Wagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Automatic Transmission: 1973 412 Wagon Reply with quote

i just acquired my first 412 and would like to gradually rebuild the drivetrain. (as funds permit) The transmissionn currently runs and shifts well, but there are no records to confirm mileage or service history. That said, there is an 'Auto Trans Master Repair Kit PIONEER-752802' on the bay. Cost is roughly $240 shipped.

1) Is that kit sufficient enough to give a reputable tranmission shop for them to do a long-lasting rebuild?

2) Are there any other transmission components that should be replaced as it will be out and disassembled? ( torque converter seal, clutches etc.)

3) Are torque converters rebuildable? If not, are there any compatible ones from less rare vehicles.

Here is pic of transmission kit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think TCs are rebuildable, but a complete process for rebuilding the auto trans yourself has been posted in the Type 3 forum, I believe.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....TCs are rebuildable. ...just not at home. That said...a few have gotten better performance by using a bus TC for a higher stall point.

Look in the STF 411/412 forum. There are several complete rebuild threads. You need to be sure that you have the seal, o-ring and gasket that goes between the transfer case and final drive and you need to be sure you have the seal for the governor.

Also....and I definitely applaud what you are doing. Most people have no idea how well these transmissions actually drive when they are in perfect shape and adjustemnt.......if I were you.....I would get new differential and pinion bearings and do it all. The critical, part will also be to check fit and wear of the pump drive shaft into the pump and yhe wear and pumping efficiecny of the pump. If you can find a, new pump that would be a bonus. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Many thanks for the feedback. So, if I have this right...

1) I should invest in the kit that I posted above.

2) Check out the complete rebuild threads and, if possible, get new differential and pinion bearings to be safe.

3) See if I can hunt down a new pump; in the mean time check the fit and wear of the pump drive shaft/efficiency.

Hopefully, I captured all of it. Make sense? Question Question
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Great. Many thanks for the feedback. So, if I have this right...

1) I should invest in the kit that I posted above.

2) Check out the complete rebuild threads and, if possible, get new differential and pinion bearings to be safe.

3) See if I can hunt down a new pump; in the mean time check the fit and wear of the pump drive shaft/efficiency.

Hopefully, I captured all of it. Make sense? Question Question

Yes...and at one time...this place was one of the better sources for parts for these transmissions

http://www.bulkpart.com/

here is the page: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=VW-003

and these places have good links and reading

http://transtarforum.go2advertising.com/

http://www.makcodistributing.com/

They list that
Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this project. Hopefully, I'll be able to drive it through August on short trips as I collect the parts. The PO said the car runs beautifully. Can't wait until she arrives.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Looking forward to this project. Hopefully, I'll be able to drive it through August on short trips as I collect the parts. The PO said the car runs beautifully. Can't wait until she arrives.

I edited and added to my links above. You also need the brake bands. I believe those are in the master kit and may be in limited supply. Contact Bulkparts above and e-mail for availability. They have a master kit generally with all the discs and the bands.
Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roc Auto has this kit for $150.00
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in my signature area under my builds. You will find a link for the rebuild process.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rebuilt and ready to go. The gentleman who did it was surprised that it had such little wear on the inside. I think that was great to hear. Question

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
Ray
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple pics of an auto and important seals on my galley
T2 TQ in a T4/T3?? Have to change anything?
Would either final drive be very for aT3 auto with T4 engine

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A T2 TQ will work in a T3 automatic as long as the engine is a T4. Also you can swap out T3/ T4 final drives, just as long as you swap out the governor. The governor and the shift body are a matched set. I do believe that the T4 final drive is lower (Ray?), but I did not feel an appreciable difference when I swapped mine out.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sharkskinman.....sorry im so hard to get a hold of. On the road a lot.

Type 4 car:
wagons and some sedans had 3.91:1 final drive (11 to 43 teeth)
From Aug 1973 and Jan 1973 (differnt gear box codes) the sedan only.....had 3.73:1 fonal drive (11 to 41 teeth)

The type 3 had a 3.66 final drive (9 to 33 teeth).

Actually having a type 3 final drive auto in the car is a NICE improvement......but you will need a torque converter from a bus with a higher stall point to really experience it well.....or a tuned out (better thqn stock) 1.7 or 1.8....with more torque off the line.

I have had a type 3 box in my first 411 and it makes better second to third acceleration. ...if you are tuned well. However...with the stock converter....it was a little baulky off the line....tall gearing. I never had the opportunity or knowledge to know at yhat point in time that a bus converter with a higher stall point would help.

But I can tell you for surd that it will....because having the same final drivd in the 004 four speed....and the ability to slip the clutch a little....makes it night and day better off the line.

Also.....with a higher stall point converter in either type 3 or 4 final drive gearing....would make that damn throttle kicker plunger....unneeded. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the plug located on the transmission for the reverse lights? I just installed it in the car, but didn't really take note of the location. Thanks, -Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Where is the plug located on the transmission for the reverse lights? I just installed it in the car, but didn't really take note of the location. Thanks, -Ron

Its built into the gear shifter switches. under the bezel on the floor on the shifter. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I meant the solenoid for the kick down. Where is the plug for that located on the trans??
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
My bad, I meant the solenoid for the kick down. Where is the plug for that located on the trans??

The connector is on top of the trans gear case....just above the pan gasket joint.....on the left side..........just rearward of the dipstick tube and just before the joint between the automatic section and the differential section. Its a single male connector. Ray
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the connection point for the kick down solenoid. It is a hollow nylon type tube, with a male spade connector inside.

My builds
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture! Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: