Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug Luggage Tray Pinholes
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Bug Luggage Tray Pinholes Reply with quote

Hey all,
Just got my bug sandblasted and epoxy primed (WOOOO!)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks great for the most part, aside from a new issues that came up. I thought I had done some good welding and sealing up of some pinholes on my luggage tray, but sandblasting brought out a good few more pinholes than I thought.

Check out the damage:

There's pinholes and bigger than pinholes. I don't see repairing all that any other way than welding in a new floor section, but I can't find any sections of just the floor and shipping the whole section is Stupid Expensive.

I'm gonna post a Wanted Ad to the classifieds and see if I can find a panel, but:
Question Can I sand the epoxy, cover the holes in filler, and prime, paint, undercoat over all of this and trust it to hold up for a restoration Question

That's the one big problem area after sandblasting, otherwise I'm psyched to start filler and bodywork and get this thing ready for some high-build primer!

Thanks for your help all!

My 1679 Engine build.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area will be covered/carpeted, no?
For this repair, I'd use fiberglass.
See comment by Dirtkeeper in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=628420
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterSeries silver & black would fill those holes nicely.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Great to know. I've gotten some bites on the classifieds but unless someone has a part cut out and cleaned up so that I can see there's nothing to worry about, I think I'll go your way and use some space-age materials to fill the gaps rather than replace the whole tray.
Thanks for your help!

My 1679 Engine build.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to put a lot of time in it, you could;

-Patch worst areas
-Solder and or lead the deep pits.

Soldering pin holes is a good method, cheap and easy.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good price on the correct part, then $220 and a drive to Rhode Island would get you the 20 gauge Klokkerholm luggage panel. You would need to call first and make sure that they have it in stock, because M&T drop-ships some things from other locations.

http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/2138/Volkswagen-Beetle-Sheet-Metal-Universal-Panel-Rear-Cross-Members
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian,

Looks good! I've heard of people putting masking tape on the bottom of those holes and then use multiple layers of either Master Series Silver primer, or POR-15 patch. The MS has levelers that fill in low spots. The POR-15 patch comes in a tube and is thicker like toothpaste. The both harden solid and can then be painted over.

Bill
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look that bad from your pics. Its a matter of how much effort n time to satisfy yourself. I'd cut out the big holes and weld in new metal. Like Mike said master series work good on pin holes. U got good advice. If its covered up,easier to solve.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If structurally it feels strong. I would get some fiberglass reinforced filler and put that on there. Duraglass or something like that. Its strong and waterproof. Be warned though. It can be a bear to sand when dry. Especially on a surface like that. I would get some mechanic gloves and some 36 grit ready to go. Once the Duraglass starts to kick, get after it and get it shaped or close before it gets to be like concrete!
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had holes similar to those. I use some fiberglass pieces soak in Master Series and put over the holes. When it dried, I painted another coat. It will dried rock solid and water tight. This is the only picture I have. You can see a few covered up holes.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: