Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Cool deals both.

I got lucky 20 years ago and had a neighbor who was a retired tooling Machinist for GM who had a garage sale. His health wouldn't allow him to do any machining work anymore, so he sold my wife his set of Starrett Mic's for $10. I see such sets on the net for $550 - $1,250 today. She got his snap gauges for another $10 at the same time.

Since you're a MOPAR guy, I should add that he had previously been next-door neighbor to Roger Lindamood of "Color Me Gone" drag cars fame.

PS: It's snowing here right now. Probably not going to stick, but there's a 20 mile wide swath coming and we're right at the leading edge. The temp dropped 10 degrees in 10 minutes while Warren and I were chopping firewood.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

My last command I worked at was getting phased out and shutting down about a month after I retired from the Navy. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I dug out of the dumpster before I left. Shocked

More snow here again today (as usual this time of year) and I just got back from a HF for a tool run. I picked up a 1/4" in/lb torque wrench and a 1/2" ft/lb torque wrench for $11.99 each. Unfortunately I remembered wrong and already had a 1/2" torque wrench at home. I'll be heading back up that way again on Wednesday, so I'll swap it out for the 3/8" version then. Let's see... I also picked up a set of telescoping gauges so I can check cylinder ID's. I somehow lost my Starrett set of snap gauges I had for a long time. Mad I also picked up a quick change air brush kit and an air line dryer for it so I can spray Cerokote. I needed one of those air brushes for the gunsmith shop anyway, so I can write it off as a business expense. Other than that it was just some small consumable type stuff like latex gloves, zip ties, etc.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493

Last edited by GoMopar440 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I finally had time to remove my motor today. I played "HOOKIE" today from work. Spent the first half with my dad, took him out to lunch and did his taxes. Then went home and tore into the motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I

Last edited by daanbc on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

What are you doing to your engine? Question
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:
What are you doing to your engine? Question

I had that damn "FLAT" Spot. And it was a pain to teach the kids stick with it. Also the wife wants to drive it but hates the flat spot also. So I needed a manifold with the heat risers still intact. In order to replace it, it was easier for me to just drop the motor. Took me 10-15 min. But now that I have it off, Im thinking of putting on my new oil pump with filter. BUT I did not drain the oil. And the way the motor is on the jack, I can't remove the oil screen filter. Do you know if an oil pump can be replaced with oil in the motor?
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

These engines only hold a small amount of oil to start with. After learning a couple of expensive 4 stroke dirt bike engine lessons (KABOOM X2 Mad ) on a 450cc engine that held less than a quart of oil, I've learned to change the oil on most engines pretty much every time I go into them for anything. These VW's are no exception to that rule, especially since they usually just have a screen to filter it. Oil is very cheap when compared to almost all hard parts on the engine, so there's really no reason not to change it.

An external filter isn't a bad idea, but I'm not fond of those covers that hang the filter sideways onto the oil pump cover. Remote mount is a better way to go IMHO as you can mount the filter vertically (less mess during oil changes) and mount it somewhere out of sight. Then there's less junk to look at by the purdy engine and it can be mounted up out of the way, protected from off road snag hazards.

You're getting flat spots even with your new Pertronix SVDA? Manifold heat to the intake should help, but have you seen these links yet?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365762&highlight=rivet

This one is for a 009 distributor, but the principal is the same. It's just done in a more professional way with less to disturb the airflow through the carb VS the rivet method.
http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Yes I've done ALL the tricks. Thanks for the "look out" But reality is my manifold and carb. are ICE COLD in the middle of summer with humidity at 90% down here in Fl. So I have to believe the Germans had it right from the beginning. As for the oil, I'm not suggesting NOT to change the oil. But I can't drain it in it's position on my jack now. Thats why I was asking if the change can be done with oil in it. Once the motor is back on, I will change it and the screen filter.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Cool beans. I have two different sized holes on my pair of rebuilt 34PICT-3's so I'll need to do that mod to one of them, if not both, before trying to install and tune them.

Why not just slip a short 12" long piece of 2x4 or 4x4 under the pulley end of the engine to lift it up a bit? I would think that should keep the oil towards the flywheel end of the engine enough so you can R&R the oil pump with the engine still on the jack. If you try that though I'd HIGHLY recommend using a tie down strap to tie the engine to the jack while you're wrenching on it. Bungee cords would be a lesser option, but would still be better than nothing. I'd hate to see you post a "Lost a toe this time" thread because the engine took a nose dive off the jack square onto your flip flop. Confused

BTW: Watch out for all those little washers and nuts when pulling the oil pump. It would suck royally to have to try to fish them out of an assembled engine. Those little magnetic dishes are great for keeping stuff like that under control.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-magnetic-parts-tray-with-hood-97801.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-magnetic-parts-tray-90566.html

I just saw these at HF today. I had enough tools to buy today already so maybe next time I'm there I'll pick one up and see how well they work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/all-other-storage/magnetic-wrist-band-96533.html

Your engine looks practically spotless in the pics so you don't have too worry much about mud or caked on dirt all over the place. It'd still probably be a good idea to give it a once over with some compressed air, especially behind the crank pulley since you can't really see what's there until you pull it off. Just don't blast it straight in towards the pulley seal or any hidden sand might get forced into/under the seal.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah already have those mag. dish's, Got them free with the HF coupons awhile ago. LOL That wrist thingy I did not see, But deff. will look for next time I go. Yeah I can see myself posting now with a toe and my finger. LOL Thanks for the idea, will do that for the oil!
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah already have those mag. dish's, Got them free with the HF coupons awhile ago. LOL That wrist thingy I did not see, But deff. will look for next time I go. Yeah I can see myself posting now with a toe and my finger. LOL Thanks for the idea, will do that for the oil!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Nice looking project, but FYI I'm sure you've heard it already but those colorful distributor caps are junk.
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I spent a little more time out in the shop working on the steering adapter. When I mocked up the steering wheel, the threads on the shaft only went into the big nut about half way. So I put the adapter back into the lathe and turned down the height of the cap about 1/8". Then I put a bevel back on the inner and outer edges to dress it up. The result is the shaft threads just barely stick out of the top of the nut now. I would have liked more thread showing, but I'll probably weaken the cap if I make it any thinner than I already have. I'll just use some blue Lock-Tite on the nut when I install it for good.

The adapter wasn't he only thing the PO hacked up when he butchered this thing. The steering wheel mounting holes got the same treatment. I'm not a fan of these tiny steering wheels, so I'll be looking for a more normal sized one like what I have on my rail now.

I wanted to head down to Brax's place today to look for more engine parts, but his voice mail said he'd be out from the 1st to the 4th. Good thing I always call first before making the 1/2 hour drive down to his place. I'll catch up with him on Friday after he gets back.

I just got an email from RockAuto saying the alternator shipped out today. I should be getting it on Friday according to the tracking info. Once that gets here I'll be able to mock up most of the rest of the T3 engine.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I like a 13-14" wheel on a buggy or Baja.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

This one in the pics is 11.5" measured at the outside of the wheel. I believe the one in the rail now is closer to 13" or 14" and that one feels fine to me. It doesn't sound like there should be that much of a difference going by the numbers, but going by feel is a whole nother story. The smaller wheel feels like it was made so you could drive with handcuffs on or something.

The rail is still tarped up and covered with snow right now so I won't get to actually measure that wheel until the weather is a little nicer out. We haven't gotten above freezing here for about a week now. Rolling Eyes
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I made it down to the VW shop (Brax's Euro Parts) today and did a little bartering. I was looking for a 091 trans or a Rhino trans/case. I struck out on both counts. He did have a few 002's and one rebuilt pyramid case though. I didn't have enough for the pyramid even with trading in my T3 trans and rear torsion assembly, so I picked up one of the 002's. I also picked up a few other small misc pieces as well.

When I got home I started out by cleaning up the 002 so I could get a better look at what I had to work with. After a few hours of chiseling, picking, scrubbing and wire wheeling, it doesn't even look like the same trans anymore.

I snapped some pics of the numbers I could find on the trans so I can look it up and see what gears it's supposed to have in it. The gearing could have been changed by a PO sometimes in it's past life before I got it, but at least I'll have a starting point once I decode the numbers.
"Q":

"002.301.103B"

"002.301.211", "002.301.173A"

"CK116 2295"

Of course now that it was all clean, I went ahead and painted it the Gunmetal Grey I've been using on most everything else.

The alternator arrived in the mail today (on time) so I mounted it on the pedestal to check for fit. It lines up ok, and the fuel pump has 1/4" clearance at the closest point. I won't be able to test it out until I get the engine running though. The alt shaft feels smooth when I spin it and the exterior looks just about identical to the one I have on the rail now. If it works as good as it looks I'll be happy.

I was on my feet far too long cleaning up the trans, so that's where I had to stop for today.
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

BTW, are the 002 and 091 transaxles the same width at the CV flanges? I need to figure what length axle shafts to use. I'd like to swap my stock rear diagonal trailing arms out for some longer/wider ones that will allow me to run a standard bus axle.

I'll also need to figure out which mounts to use to put the bus trans into my rail. I plan on using this rail as a DD, so I'd like to use either rubber of urethane mounts for the engine and trans. I plan on running the shift rod and shifter box raised above where it's at now, so I don't need the 10* mounts.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Yes, 002 and 091 are the same at 100mm diameter CV joints

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

I'll say it again, nice work!!
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget rail rebuild and dual carbs project Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Yes, 002 and 091 are the same at 100mm diameter CV joints

I guess I worded that wrong. What I was trying to ask is "Do the 002 and 091 transaxles share the same over all width from CV flange face to CV flange face?". I already knew the OD of the CV flanges was similar from reading here and elsewhere on the web. I'm just trying to figure out what size diagonal trailing arms I'll need to get in order to be able to use common VW Bus axles. I'd like to avoid having to use custom length axles if possible.

daanbc: I sure am paying for it now though. My back is still killing me and I haven't been able to get anything done at all today. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: