Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

R53 mini double down or fold?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: R53 mini double down or fold? Reply with quote

So I just recieved a $3000 repair quote on my 110,000mi 2006 Mini Cooper s which is worth about $5000 kbb. (Needs clutch, power steering pump a arm bushing)

I think I've ask similar advice before but now it's really decision time. Do I trade it in or just keep repairing.

Despite only putting about 150mi a week on the mini I fully expect to be spending at a minimum $1500 Per year on repairs based on experience and mini's reputation.

What would I trade it for? I don't care so much about performance as a fun engaging drive which most new cars don't offer. I've only test driven a new eco boost mustang at this point and it was OK but I don't want to spend $24000 to go from a car that's still fun after 9yr to OK (still want to try mustang with a stick). I'm capping my replacement at about $25000 but I'd prefer much less. Fully open to sensible used car recommendations.

Edit
*optimistically my 72 std bug will be back on the road this fall but I'm not sure it will ever be able to pull off Dailey driver duty again
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advice I can give folks is buy new, and do oil changes early...syn or otherwise...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610196&highlight=mini

as far as a recommendation...I have none. they are all over priced rolling shitboxes that need to be replaced every 10 years. there are zero cars in the last decade worth scrap value in my eyes...

also, kbb quote is on a good needs little to no work car...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have ditched it when you had the chance of at least recovering the cost of the repair: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611976

HankScorpio wrote:
The mini crossed a line
I could not drive to work because my 06 mini coopers was on blocks. I bought a defective brake caliper from rockauto. thread for bleeder was stripped and bleeder was frozen in original. Repair would have been done Sunday but didn't find this till I had the bad part on and tried bleeding. Luckily I can work from home and Napa saved the day with a new caliper by noon Monday.

So now I'm seriously thinking about new(er) car. Unfortunatly with job security I don't want to clean out my savings or get a car loan right now. Depending on what I can get for the mini that doesn't leave a lot. I was going to wait a couple more years till student loans were done. So I'm only think maybe $5k + mini...

I can't think of a sane car I want. I still love driving my mini. Newer minis don't have the fun go cart feel of the original bmw mini (or true original) and mine has been plagued with problems. What do people recommend for fun and reliability. (Plus good for a 50lb pit bull to ride in)
Alternatively I could get a backup vehicle, a truck or motorcylce (would need motorcycle license)

Note my 72 beetle is at least a year from the road, longer if I keep spending my time repairing my daily driver. find my frame head rust posts. It's bad would be a real big money pit to pay for restoration...

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: carb options Reply with quote

Look for a well taken care of Scion XA, parted with mine to get a year old Accord with 10,000 miles, wished I would have kept it. Bulletproof engine, put new pads on at 75K and 150K. My daughters Civic is 15 years old, no problems at all in 144K miles, another bulletproof car. They are out there, for a reasonable price. I offered to give my Scion to either of my kids, they didn't want to drive a stick, even though they both know how.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: carb options Reply with quote

Oh, please don't think the Accord is any problem, awesome car, got a great deal at a small dealer in the south. 4cylinder Earth Dreams tech engine, 7 speed cvt automatic, goes like hell, and still getting 35 mpg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: carb options Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Look for a well taken care of Scion XA, parted with mine to get a year old Accord with 10,000 miles, wished I would have kept it. Bulletproof engine, put new pads on at 75K and 150K. My daughters Civic is 15 years old, no problems at all in 144K miles, another bulletproof car. They are out there, for a reasonable price. I offered to give my Scion to either of my kids, they didn't want to drive a stick, even though they both know how.

Maybe I'll have to give scion a second chance. Back in 05, the 92 celica I was trading in was so great I didn't even think I was going to need to shop around. The tc seemed like a given. Well I test drove the tc and it was a front heavy pig. I've kind of held a grudge against scion ever since. The fc/brz is in the running but I really wish I could get it toyota 86 trim... I also like the boxy and proud look of the original xb but second gen gained weight and tried to hide its boxyness.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it your self and save.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A car needing that much work at 100k is appalling. I had a 6-year old '85 GTI with 250k miles on it when I bought it for $1000. Best used commuter car value ever. It needed one CV axle. In VW circles- a 5 year old or newer TDI anything makes a great commuter.

That said though, I'm a Toyota and Honda man. I just bought my wife a '15 Highlander to replace her '03 Pilot (which is saved for my 16yo. daughter in driver's ed). It has been the best Family car ever- zero repairs, just wear and tear parts. I have my second Tundra and recently sold my gas hog FJ Cruiser. When I traded my '00 Tundra for my '12- it still had its original battery! Toyota and Honda simply do not know how to build a bad car. A late model Scion, Toy or Honda is hard to beat- and you can buy the best of the best used for under $15k. How about a used late model Acura CL?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2012 golf...5cyl...5spd.....68k miles right now...totally loaded at $22k...awesome. 2006 jetta...same drivetrain....awesome.

Very fun drive on the Golf with 5spd. Plenty of power, great torque excellent handling. ...no issues.

There is a reason the whole Golf family was motor trend car of the year 2015. Go out and test drive. Ray
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HankScorpio wrote:
What would I trade it for? I don't care so much about performance as a fun engaging drive which most new cars don't offer

And that ^ is a give or take. Fun and engaging requires some performance.

A Mini is fun but as just about any modern European car are expensive and maintenance expensive pigs in the USA.
No way I'd own one.

Honda and Toyota while good, dependable and somewhat efficient vehicles are cookie cutter snooze cruisers..

As an auto tech.. I'm driving all brands of newer cars often.
Lots of good choices.

I once was a Honda owner. I liked being a Honda owner as I pretty much never had to touch it other that regular maintenance but being a driver found that they were hum drum and were easy to loose in a parking lot..
Im sure the same could be said for most typical cars though.. choose your color wisely..

Most "car people" want it all .. and dont settle for the cookie cutter cars..
We want to smile while driving and smile as we walk away and turn and look back at it in the corner dent free parking spot..
Cmon' ya know you do.

If you want engaging yet daily practicality .. look for a V6 or Turbo 4cyl.

You currently have a Mini so only assuming you are looking for another 2 door with some versatility limits the choices. ????

Certified Used is the smart market. You loose so much buying new.

I'm a GM guy so from my GM biased perspective

A good well rounded GM car...and you may want to at least drive one.

Buick = Regal Turbo GS with the six speed manual.. is an awesome ride.
Rides good, is a good size, good fuel mileage, very quick, has luxury..touring suspension.. .... Damn nearly has it all..

The Regal is also available in levels with turbo and non turbo and manual or automatic trans.. so lots of choices but has 4 doors.
Not sure if thats in your equation.
The Verano is a smaller version of the Regal.. not as well balanced but not a bad car at all.
The LaCrosse is more luxury and is a very good car but I have a problem with its heavy blind spot in the rear.

Buick has come a LOOOONG way from its oxygen bar mentality and heritage.

A decent 2 door choice, a used Cobalt SS can be picked up reasonably. Yeah its a cheap car.. and does not have the best ride but from experience, you can find them reasonable and then make upgrades..

More luxury, a V6 Cadillac CTS Coupe is a good choice, but the rear seat is small as most coupes tend to be. Its zippy, has some luxury, and good fuel mileage. The Caddy V series is a super hot rod .. but the fuel mileage suffers for that big time from 2009 up.
I swear our V steals fuel from my VW's in the dark of the night..

Don't overlook the Caddy ATS Turbo (avoid the 2013). Good cars, easy to find certified, 4 doors but feels small like a 2 door. (2 door now available)
V sport versions amp it up quite more..

More versatility, a used HHR SS. A bit SUV like but drives well and can be found priced good has a small feel.

Camaro isnt too bad.. many levels, has a chopped top feel and the rear seat and trunk are tight..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say my 72 bug is fun and engaging and it has no power. It's not fast but you really feel the road in it.

GM? I'm a GMI grad (technically it was kettering when I was there). I have many friends at GM but you'd be hard pressed to get me to buy one. My dad loves his HRR and bought a second one but it is the worst car I've ever driven. Parts literally fell off his first one. It has a ton of body roll which gives me motion sickness. I did hear the hhr ss addressed most of my complaints and i think it is possiblly the best executed retro modern style exterior, of course the interior looks like a cheap After thought.

I admittedly haven't driven any new buicks and I do defend them as some of the best values on the market (price vs features and quality) however they still are the most old person looking cars on the market. But maybe I'm biased because grandma has a lacrosse and mom just got a encore. I do like the encore interior but the exterior is a disaster.

I do think I could go for a cts wagon but they won't be in my price range for a few years.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HankScorpio wrote:
however they still are the most old person looking cars on the market.

I do think I could go for a cts wagon but they won't be in my price range for a few years.

Which is why I suggested the Regal GS.. It has a different "look" and is more aggressive. Wink

Well now if you are considering the CTS Wagon..obviously your door count is wide open.
Thats a decent choice. Especially with the sport package version.
The wagons tend to hold their value well as they were low production numbers and now no more..
Sometimes you can find the rental, lease and fleet versions very reasonable.

Samba member ho-dad loves his... Wink

No matter what you choose... YOU are the only one that needs to be happy.
Go to a CarMax like or large used car center... and just start driving cars.. You'll find what you seek..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on beetle R?
My local dealer has a new 2014 beetle r that theyre dropping the price on (Asking $22,900 but I think there is room there) . The Gti is just barley above my $25,000 cap so this is tempting. There are a few issues. It's automatic, it's wite, carbon fiber look dash and it has herbie decals.
The base golf is probably my favorite test drive so far but I can put off buying something like that. Herbie won't stay on the lot forever.
I also test drove a 2012 turbo bug at carmax for $15000 @45000mi. A little more used then I want but that's a nice bit of change to keep in my pocket. I think I'd still rather have a Gti or golf then a bug but I'm finding deals on bugs and a new bug and an old bug in the driveway might be fun.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joke, get a Hyundai!
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The veloster is a good fit on paper but is the ugliest car on the market right now. The genesis coupe looks great but the starting price is way out of budget. I should have looked for a used one at car max.

The optima looks awesome on the outside but the interiors have a terrible cheap fleet qualty look unless you upgrade to the gorgeous limited package for $10,000 in options. I'm suspicious that they don't even make the limited interior as I've only seen it On promotions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elantra sport. 173 hp, tuned suspension, blah blah blah... The size class is miss leading, sit in it and check it out. It is almost the same size as the full sizes. Good compromise, available in a manual too.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5 Corvette Z06. Reliable LS motor and high 20's for mpg. 405HP and a manual trans. Will be the best bang for your buck and amazing fun factor.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5068847969.html
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Will be the best bang for your buck and amazing fun factor.

I want to see it pass CA smog legally, well for us anyways Rolling Eyes
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnoroian wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Will be the best bang for your buck and amazing fun factor.

I want to see it pass CA smog legally

Why wouldn't it? There's a ton of them out here.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are. My narrow minded, I was just thinking about the cl post thinking hank was in CA not Connecticut... Makes more sense now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: