Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with soft top up and no side curtains
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Driving with soft top up and no side curtains Reply with quote

My thing is about ready to hit the road and I'm thinking of buying a soft top. The original plan was to be topless but now leaning towards a top. When driving with just the top up does the wind get trapped inside because of the back window and cause an issue? Maybe it's not even noticeable. The thought of having some sun and/or rain protection is sounding good. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any issues with the top up with out curtains. In fact, unless it's a deluge, I rarely use the curtains. Seems the windshield stays clearer during "heavy weather" without the curtains.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: windowless Reply with quote

This is our standard way we roll all summer, rarely have the windows in, sometimes the top is down, but even in light rain we leave them out. It does get a bit loud, but the Thing is loud to begin with, as opposed to modern cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roll with the top up and no curtains. Haven't done a gas mileage test to determine drag issues...but I have no problems. Maybe a "bikini" top would be more to your liking? TTS is offering a roll up back window on their soft tops now that I am somewhat drawn to. If you have the funds, and are buying new, I would explore that route. I live on the north coast of California, where the top can go up and down and up multiple time on an outing...definitely love my soft top.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top up or down without curtains works find for me, it is nice to have a top when those showers come out and you are dressed up and heading out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing Shop carries a top/frame with a roll up rear window...
http://www.thethingshop.com/TOP-ON-FRAME-WITH-ROLL-UP-BACK-WINDOW/productinfo/18187100-R/

I remember in the old Thing Newsletters back in the day a convertible place in Sacramento offering to remove the rear window and sew in a zipper around the window so you can remove it when needed.

When summer comes my top goes down for a good 7-8 months of the year, but I live in CA.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard top really traps the heat and doesn't provide much opportunity for ventilation when driving or sitting still. I used to roast in the Texas sun with the factory top on and the side curtains out - the air just didn't move much inside the cabin. I even tried one of those little 12v fans to move the air, but it didn't work very well. Once I got my bikini top, the factory top has been sitting in the garage for a few years. I keep the bikini on year-round. It keeps the sun off, most of the rain out, and is much easier to drop and stow for night driving. When I park my Thing for the night, I put on a custom cover I had made at a local upholstery shop. It keeps all the rain, leaves, dust, critters, kids, etc, out of the Thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing is my daily driver and I typically drive it with the top up and the windows out.. I haven't had an issue with that yet and it's been 20 years.

-R
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often drive with top up and no curtains. No problems.
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased both a bikini and soft top last year from TTS. I'll tell you now I wish I would have just bought the bikini. Driving with the soft top is just like any car on the road yes you get air but not the open feeling. It's only hot here for a few months but man I the sun hot with the top down. I run the bikini with the side windows in the trunk in case of hard rain. The side windows won't seal completely with the bikini but it's good enough for me.
The best part about the bikini is I still feel I'm in the open and the wind doesn't slam against the rear window like it does on any car. I probably could have just purchased the roll up window option for TTS and been just as happy but I was a cheep ass and didn't. The bikini lets me feel like I'm still in a convertible but with a sun block.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to derail this thread, but is Cooper remaking the Discoverer tire in 14'" again? Most awesome Thing tire EVER...in my opinion.

Schwankster wrote:
The standard top really traps the heat and doesn't provide much opportunity for ventilation when driving or sitting still. I used to roast in the Texas sun with the factory top on and the side curtains out - the air just didn't move much inside the cabin. I even tried one of those little 12v fans to move the air, but it didn't work very well. Once I got my bikini top, the factory top has been sitting in the garage for a few years. I keep the bikini on year-round. It keeps the sun off, most of the rain out, and is much easier to drop and stow for night driving. When I park my Thing for the night, I put on a custom cover I had made at a local upholstery shop. It keeps all the rain, leaves, dust, critters, kids, etc, out of the Thing.

Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Coopers are available. Mine were well over 10 years old and showing signs of severe dry rot. They had lots of tread left, but I was afraid they would blow apart anytime I took a hard turn or bump. I replaced them with BFG All Terrain T/A tires late last year. I wanted the same Coopers, but couldn't find them.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
Sorry to derail this thread, but is Cooper remaking the Discoverer tire in 14'" again? Most awesome Thing tire EVER...in my opinion.

Sorry to say while Cooper still makes a lot of handsome tires using the Discoverer name, none come in the 14-inch size.

A/T W (light truck / sports utility) ... 16-18, 20
A/T 3 (LT / SUV) ... 15-18, 20
S/T Maxx (LT) ... 15-18, 20
S/T (LT) ... 15-18
STT Pro (LT) ... 15-18, 20, 22
STT (LT) ... 15-18, 20
HT3 (LT) ... 15-18
H/T (LT) ... 16-17
M+S (LT / SUV / winter) ... 15-18, 20
SRX (SUV) ... 16-20, 22
CTS (SUV) ... 18-20
H/T Plus (SUV) ... 18, 20
H/T (SUV) ... 15-17
M+S Sport (SUV / W) ... 16-19
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: