Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 'New' 1973 412 with Engine Pics
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: My 'New' 1973 412 with Engine Pics Reply with quote

I finally decided to get a 412! The first thing I want to do is get the motor running sound before I remove it for paint, detailing, and hopefully a Gilmore A/C compressor.

Here is what I've done so far:

Checked compression: 120-122 PSI in all cylinders
Adj. Valves
Replaced most hoses
Set timing

After all of this, the car starts right up, and is really quick upon acceleration for about 1 second. After that it bogs down. If you let it warm up for 10 minutes, it runs marginally better. If I let up on the accelerator from full throttle at around 40 MPH, the car will gain momentum/power.

So, I need to get a few obvious items out of the way prior to diving into that.

Hopefully, some of you can assist with 2 questions I have right off the bat:

The cold start valve had two wires connected to it:

Wire 1: is a brown splice that goes through the firewall with the A/C lines (under the MAP sensor). Not sure where it leads, assuming starter.

Wire 2: is a small white wire coming through a harness that is shared with the dizzy trigger points MPC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Issue: The thermo-time switch isn't hooked up to anything and there is an additional white wire coming out of the same harness mentioned above which is dangling and hooked up to nothing. According to the Bosch wiring diagram, the thermo-time switch looks like it simply connects to the cold start valve, so I'm at a loss with that additional dangling white wire out of the same area.

Can anyone assist with some pics or description as to where/how those wires go?

One other question for now.

When I remove this hose:

There is so much vacuum coming from the plenum, I feel like it could suck a golf ball through the hose! If I put my thumb over it, the car stalls.

Is that a correct behavior? (Note: the smaller hose pictured plugs into the hole seen on the plenum where the aux air regulator is. The other end of that hose in this car leads to a vacuum throttle positioner of some type, I'll address fixing that later)

Here are some more pics:

The body of the car is straight with zero rust:

(distributor removed for cleaning or rebuilding)

Looking forward to this project. It's definitely going to be a challenging undertaking!

Ok, one other question: Can a type 2 Bus w/2.0 liter Cold start valve be interchanged with the T 412? The part number is the same except the 412 ends with an "A" and T2 ends with "B".

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....I wont be able to address all of this right now an I am about to be on the road. I'll do what I can.

Its all little stuff...but actually its all huge stuff as far as D-jet goes. DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR...until all the injection details are fixed...or you can destroy it.

Some details:

There are only 23 wires in the EFI system. They re all numbered at each end. Get a Haynes manual and take a look at the wiring diagram if you have not already. Wires you cannot figure out...check them by pulling the plug from the ECU and using a volt meter end to end.

OK....

1. The thermotime switch (TTS) is the ground for the cold start valve. A single white or brown wire goes from the TTS to either side of the CSV plug. The other terminal is a switched +...meaning when the ignition is on....its hot.
I am not close to my books but on some cars...I thought that the switched + that supplied the AAR also supplies the CSV. Either way it "can" if necessary

2. The large 12mm vacuum hose is supposed to have massive vacuum on it. That beige nylon nipple it is attached to on the oil breather is a PCV valve.
It is usually defective due to wear....and it was defective in design as it dumps into the manifold right next to the intake port for the MPS. As the engine ages and blow by increases it causes idle issues.

Many of us knock the plastic disc valve out of the PCV making it a straight through hole. Then install a piece of 13mm aluminum, brass or plastic rod into the 12mm hose. Drill a constant bleed orifice through the center of it....start with 3mm and that usually is fine.
So with a constant bleed PCV hole....its not enough of a vacuum leak that you cant adjust around it with the MPS and still maintain very good idle control with the screw on the TB. You get much smoother running and PLENTY of PCV.

3. The hose to the throttle kicker goes to a nipple on the right side of the plenum between the #1 and #2 runners. It also connects to a special plastic "Y" that connects to a spot on the TB underneath and to the hose that goes to the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Wait....let me check on this. I am going off of memory

4. You need to get a T-1 connector cover for that black to white wire in the picture near the fuel pressure regulator and the MPS. That is your cylinder head temp wire and its resistance sensitive.

More later. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Ray.

No, I don't plan to be driving this until the FI is all buttoned up. My goal is to get it running sound and remove the motor for paint, etc.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ClassicCamper!
Looks like a car with some potential!
About the compression 120psi sounds to be on the lower side to me (Im used to get 130-150psi) but compression tests are hard to compare since they wary due to battery condition, starter condition, engine temp etc and also your car might be of the California low compression type so everything might just be OK.

Longing to see more pics of the exterior and interior!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would work on the suspension before worrying about paint. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I mean painting the engine, not the car. The suspension and brakes will be next.

My strategy is to get the motor running very smooth by tuning the ignition and injection system. Then pull engine to paint/detail/fix minor things. Kinda like I did for my bug:

This will avoid banging about the engine compartment replacing, unplugging and troubleshooting FI system after I painted it. That will have been done already. Cool
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome ClassicCamper!
About the compression 120psi sounds to be on the lower side to me (Im used to get 130-150psi) but compression tests are hard to compare since they wary due to battery condition, starter condition, engine temp etc and also your car might be of the California low compression type so everything might just be OK.

Thanks Lars! I did the compression test when the engine was stone cold, and yes, the car was from California, but doesn't have any of the traditional California emissions equipment on it. Do you think that is too low and requires a rebuild?

Quote:
Longing to see more pics of the exterior and interior

Here are some pics:

[/quote]
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Quote:
Welcome ClassicCamper!

Thanks Lars! I did the compression test when the engine was stone cold, and yes, the car was from California, but doesn't have any of the traditional California emissions equipment on it. Do you think that is too low and requires a rebuild?

Oh thats a nice car you have found, nice color too!

About the compression I have no experience from the low comp engines so I really cant say, someone else (read Ray) will tell...
On the high comp engines the wear limit is just above 100psi but recommended to be within 130 to 160.

/Lars s
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say paint the engine.....I would only paint the tin. Painting the engine block makes a mess of it eventually. Painting the air shroud can be done...but look around hard at technique and materials. There is a thread on thr shoptalk forums that is about this...meither in the type 4rum or 411/412 forums. Ray

By the way....glad you bought that car....nice ride! Very Happy
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I looked in the hole for the timing, it appears that the PO was using some type of large screwdriver to move fan around and a fin is broken. There was a cracked piece hanging there; I broke it all of the way off to avoid flying metal:

Does anyone have any leads on a replacement fan? I'm assuming that I can't use a 72+ T2 fan as the red timing mark would not be present. However, that's just a guess.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know how bad one single broken blade is but if you change the fan be sure you make your own marks for correct timing on it since there are a lot of variations.

There are quite a few fans for sale in the Classified-Parts section on TheSamba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ywords=fan
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ywords=fan

Lars s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: