Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with some paint questions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie with some paint questions Reply with quote

So my first plan was to strip the car down to the OG paint and try to bring back what was left. After trying different spots all over the car, well...there isn't much left if any at all.

I live in a condo so I don't have a garage or have access to a spray gun and compressor. Funds are budgeted so I can't just plunk down $1000 for a new paint job or whatever. I plan on working on one area/panel at a time. The car has multiple layers of paint and primer over it, none of which were prepped very well.

I plan on taking the car down to bare metal either by sanding or using chemical strippers. Probably a combination of both. I'm pretty OCD so I know my prepping skills will be sufficient and this is not a show car.

Now, here's where I need some advice. Once I have the car down to bare metal, I obviously don't want to leave it like that. I would like to prime it using spray can primer so I can check for imperfections and protect the metal from rusting. I mean, I don't WANT to use spray can primer, but that is my only option at this point. The car probably won't get painted for at least a year. I know primer is porous and not a long term solution. So my next bet is a primer/sealer, correct?

Are there any good spray can primer/sealers that I can use? I've heard SEM is good but pricey. I can deal with the higher price of the spray cans if they're spaced apart.

Now, my last and final conundrum is, I need this primer and/or sealer to be able to be painted over with regular paint once I'm ready and have the money to get that done. I don't mind doing a quick sand of the surface before the paint goes on, but I don't want to have to strip everything again before it goes in the paint booth.

I can't possibly be the first person to have these questions or be in this situation so I'm looking forward to hearing some answers! Thanks for your help guys

By the way, I live in AZ where it's very hot and sunny and doesn't rain much. So in other words no salt in the air or much humidity or anything like that.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use something like this:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospray-ep...gQodxLcAvA

It is an epoxy which will be water resistent. It is a two part which means it will be durable and its probably the best thing in a spray can that you can use as a substrate for a real final finish.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bare metal should be covered with an epoxy primer. It doesn't sand well. It can be top coated as is but typically you might use some other type of filler primers on top of it to build up a layer to sand smooth. You can get it a spray can.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind spraying another layer on top of it, I.e. another layer of primer or sealer or whatever. I just don't want to have to REMOVE it when that time comes. I haven't heard good things about rattle can primer (I would assume for a good reason) but there has to be SOMETHING out there that does the trick.

Jspbtown: can you sand, lay bondo over that eastwood?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have heard bad things about 1k rattle can primers because they are lousy substrates for auto paint. The Eastwood product is a 2k (2 part) catalyzed epoxy primer like is shot with a paint gun. You can't get a better base than that on bare metal.

Yes...you can scuff and apply bondo (well not Bondo...something better of course) over the primer but if you are bringing your panels down to bare metal you are better off putting the filler on bare metal and then priming. Any imperfections can be fixed with some two part spot putty and another coat of primer.

When it comes time to paint you will need to scuff the entire surface, seal, and lay your final color.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good to know. Wow, that stuff isn't cheap but it looks like my only option at this point. Once I'm down to the metal is there any recommendations before I spray the primer. Cleaning, degreasing, etc. If so, what are best products and ways to go about doing this?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78410
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many companies sell a degreaser. Plain old denatured alcohol does well do.

I would wipe the panel down with a degreaser. Then remove old paint. Wipe it down again and apply quality filler. Sand and sand and sand with a block when possible. Then wipe down again and primer. Fill any imperfections with putty and sand more. Then wipe down again and prime.

Wear gloves (nitril or latex) whenever touching the panels. The oils from your skin can cause issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: