Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fuel Injection Restoration Thread w/pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: My Fuel Injection Restoration Thread w/pictures Reply with quote

Hopefully, I'll have a nice and smooth running engine by the time this thread is complete. Now that I have eliminated most of the ignition, vacuum, and engine (valves/compression) issues, it's time to dive into the rats nest of the fuel injection system. My end-goal is to have this engine as close to it's original reliability as possible and to restore it to its original 'glory'.

I acquired the car about a week ago. Here is what the engine looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Condition: The car starts right up, but doesn't accelerate well at all. It bogs down and slowly accelerates; if I try varying positions of the accelerator, it will slowly gain speed.

Here's what I'm doing thus far:

1) Ordered two new temp sensors (one did not pass resistance test)
2) Ordered rebuilt Bosch distributor (NOT EASY TO FIND!); touching my existing distributor would cause engine to miss and change speeds, especially when trying to set timing.
3) Ordered 4 new injectors
4) Ordered fuel filter
5) PCV valve (at least for now, until I fabricate a work around)

Current project: (I'm going to try to tackle one small job per evening)

Removal of throttle body: I'm hoping to find a direct replacement TPS or one that would be compatible. If someone could give me some guidance here, I'd appreciate it. The contact surface on the circuit board looks very worn.

When I removed throttle body, here is what I found:

(if you can't make that out, it's electrical tape partially obstructing intake) Wise words, Ray about not driving this until it's completely gone over. I'm sure gummed up wads of electrical tape in the valve train aren't good for motor.

Plus, I'm sure the PO's failed attempt at an electrical tape gasket didn't help with my poor acceleration issue.

Here is what I'm shopping for now:

1) Cold Start Valve: Discovered that mine is leaking Confused ; time to start combing the web.
2) Potentially having the FI harness rebuilt. It's big $$ (about $475) but, I feel as though some of my FI wires could crack right in half if bent as they are so brittle. We'll see.
3) A TPS switch - proving impossible to find or get an alternate part number.
4) Cooling fan - mine has a broken fin in it, probably from someone trying to line up the timing marks by jamming a screw driver in timing hole.

If anyone has any leads on the above or wants to trade PM me. (I have NOS 411 vent shades still in box, NOS T3 injectors, '73 412 Dizzy Cores to name a few)

More to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Ordered two new temp sensors (one did not pass resistance test) This is good.

2) Ordered rebuilt Bosch distributor (NOT EASY TO FIND!); touching my existing distributor would cause engine to miss and change speeds, especially when trying to set timing.

There are numerous things that can cause this issue and it may not need to be rebuilt. Also...unless you get the EXACT distributor rebuilt by reputable people without any advance parts or injection cam parts being swapped around from a generic parts pile....you may just make things worse. I have had "0" luck with correct rebuilt distributors in 35 years. Contact Glenn ring and have him rebuild one or simply order a bushing kit from him. Do not waste money on rebuilt distributors for fuel injection.

3) Ordered 4 new injectors

Good

4) Ordered fuel filter

Good

5) PCV valve (at least for now, until I fabricate a work around)

Skip this. The original is defective from the get go. Dont waste your money. It takes 5 minutes to do the mod. Piece of 1/2" aluminum rod about 3/4" long...drill 2.5mm hole in center to start....insert about .5" into the PCV line...reconnect hose.

1) Cold Start Valve: Discovered that mine is leaking Confused ; time to start combing the web.

Disconnect it/bypass it with the fuel line for now. Its of no use unless its below 40F. Get things running right first and goo back for that . you have months to play with cold start.

2) Potentially having the FI harness rebuilt. It's big $$ (about $475) but, I feel as though some of my FI wires could crack right in half if bent as they are so brittle. We'll see.

best thing you can do. You can rebuild it yourself for about $45 for the crimper and about $200 in parts and wire.

3) A TPS switch - proving impossible to find or get an alternate part number.

There are numerous alternate part numbers. Do you have a four wire or five wire plug....not the plug on the TPS....but the actual male plug. How many wires do you have? Chances are high that there is nothing wrong with the TPS. Great to have a spare...better to correctly adjust...and the book is poor for this. I will have a complete adjusting run down with piccs in about a week or so.

4) Cooling fan - mine has a broken fin in it, probably from someone trying to line up the timing marks by jamming a screw driver in timing hole.

Good. make sure its the right timing marks or you will have to put your own on. Ray[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...unless you get the EXACT distributor rebuilt by reputable people without any advance parts or injection cam parts being swapped around from a generic parts pile....you may just make things worse. I have had "0" luck with correct rebuilt distributors in 35 years. Contact Glenn ring and have him rebuild one or simply order a bushing kit from him.
Based on your 0% success rate with a rebuilt distributor, I'm pretty bummed. Live and learn. Mad

That's not the news I wanted to hear, but it makes sense. I initially reached out Glenn Ring and he said that he doesn't work on these distributors. ('73 412 1.7). I asked for a recommendation for someone else or a parts lead, he had none. Cardone rebuilt those distributors, however there are basically a few left in the USA. I ended up finding one in Canada. It has the right Bosch part number on the distributor body. All I can do is hope that it works at this point. I'm not sure how to put new bushings into the distributor either. It appears that the shaft on mine is worn (has side to side play), plus its rusted on the inside, and changes idle of car or makes it run very uneven if you even touch it.

Quote:
Skip this. The original is defective from the get go. Dont waste your money. It takes 5 minutes to do the mod. Piece of 1/2" aluminum rod about 3/4" long...drill 2.5mm hole in center to start....insert about .5" into the PCV line...reconnect hose.

So, if I understand this right, I'm inserting the drilled aluminum rod into that white plastic looking thing on top of the breather? Or do I remove that whole plastic PCV housing (below) and put a rubber grommet in the breather to receive the 1/2" aluminum rod??

Quote:
How many wires do you have? Chances are high that there is nothing wrong with the TPS. Great to have a spare...better to correctly adjust...and the book is poor for this.

Thanks again Ray, here is the part number:

I'll have to check how many wires are on the harness when I get home. I was reading the Robert Bosch D-Jetronic FI manual, and a lot of my issues with acceleration pointed to this thing. So, as you can see, I removed it. It looked like all of the contact surfaces are worn. The middle contact surface looks like its worn clear through the board.

So, I found this with my part number:

If you need one, PM me; I'll let you know how it works. Apparently it's one rivet and back in action for many miles to come. (or so I hope)

Cold Start Leak:
Quote:
Disconnect it/bypass it with the fuel line for now. Its of no use unless its below 40F. Get things running right first and goo back for that . you have months to play with cold start.

A strange thing happened when I bypassed the Cold Start Valve - the engine revved very high and idle would not drop. I did notice on the CS valve an arrow, which I'm assuming is the direction of flow. Could it be that there is a one-way valve on this? Doesn't make sense, but I'll blow through it when it gets removed. Sure enough, engine ran and idled very nice when I reconnected the fuel lines. I'm wondering if PO hooked up the C/S valve to run constantly to fix poor performance. All I know is that I'm going to wire this up exactly according to orig. specs.

Although I'll be licking my wounds from the rebuilt distributor info, I'll be posting more FI pics. Is anyone running a rebuilt Cardone dizzy with any success?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:

A strange thing happened when I bypassed the Cold Start Valve - the engine revved very high and idle would not drop. I did notice on the CS valve an arrow, which I'm assuming is the direction of flow. Could it be that there is a one-way valve on this? Doesn't make sense, but I'll blow through it when it gets removed. Sure enough, engine ran and idled very nice when I reconnected the fuel lines. I'm wondering if PO hooked up the C/S valve to run constantly to fix poor performance. All I know is that I'm going to wire this up exactly according ...

The leaky valve is leaking air into the plenum when the fuel hoses are removed and the idle will go up. Try plugging the 2 nipples at the valve so that air can not be sucked in.

Lars s
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PCV....the aluminum rod goes into the hose just upstream of the rubber elbow. Then take the oil breather....flip it over and remove the D shaped plastic plug. You can see the inside of the PCV valve from this point.

Take a pick and pop out the plastic disc inside so its a straight through tube. Then put the D plug back into the breather and reassemble. At the very worst you may need a tweak to the knob on the ECU if you have one...or a tweak to the MPS.....but mostly just a tweak to the idle. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, will try this later. Thanks for the clarification.

Tonights mission: Test (well, to a degree) the MPS as well as verify correct part number.

Here is mine inside the 73:

First issue, this MPS has the following part numbers:
VW: 311 906 051E
Bosch: 0 280 100 106

I read online that the 1973 412 1.7 MPS had the following part numbers:
VW: 022 906 051E
Bosch: 0 280 100 049

So, the part numbers on mine are not aligned with what the specs call for. So, does,this mean I need to get another one? I want to do it right, so please let me know.

Also, ran a few basic tests on it:

1) Vacuum test: Started at 10 in Hg and held for 5 minutes before it hit 5 in. Hg. 0 vacuum left after 17 minutes. Passed
2) Terminals 17-15 read 90 Ohms. Passed
3) Terminals 8-10 read 350 Ohms. Passed

Ill be curious what you all say about the difference in part numbers or what feedback you may have.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I can't hook the old wiring harness up to all these newer parts. So, I pulled the harness:

The wires are so brittle in some areas, Im pretty sure they will eventually break.

Fwww. Done for the night.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I cant get deep into this right now. Pot the ECU part #s...that is the wrong MPS....not even the right "type".

I posted earlier and my post disappeared I think.

Take a close up picture of the circuit board side of your TPS.

About 4 different part #'s have the same circuit board and the 4 and 5 pin female plug snaps off and is interchangeable. More later Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get a picture of it when I return to the car. Now that I've discovered that the MAP sensor in the car is the wrong part, i need to find one. Mad Has anyone dealt with this company?

It appears as though they are the only 'reasonably' priced places. I'm glad I can do the rudimentary tests on it, so I'll be able to check it out before it even goes into the car.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1604137

I most likely have all the parts you are looking for.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Atlanta had excellent parts. 914 is their specialty. The 1.7l 914 and 411/412 use the exact same MPS. Same calibration as well. But..... a reman will be bench set at best. ...which means it should be neutral enough to start and run....but will require further adjustment.

Most of the other rebuilt MPS I have used over the years were so far off the car would not run. I bad to reset the inner stop and play with it until it had a baseline good enough to get running to adjust from
Expect this no matter what. If 19super73 has one for you get that and then collect another spare or two even if the diaphragm is shot. You can get those now. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I looked at the PCV valve and nothing is there, it goes straight through. That said, Im assuming I should leave it like that, but put a piece of rod inline with a 1.5-2mm hole in the middle? If that is the case, will the car even idle? When I pull that hose off and cover it with my finger, the car stalls.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other question. I'm getting ready to clean the throttle body and noticed that the shaft seems to have some play on the side where the Throttle Switch is. Is this Ok or should I try to find a machine shop who will/can rebush this? (I mean side to side play, not in and out). Thanks!
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
So I looked at the PCV valve and nothing is there, it goes straight through. That said, Im assuming I should leave it like that, but put a piece of rod inline with a 1.5-2mm hole in the middle? If that is the case, will the car even idle? When I pull that hose off and cover it with my finger, the car stalls.

Yes an aluminum or plastic rod inline with a hole in it.
You will then have to adjust the idle with the air bypass schrew on the throttle body and it will stay alive.

Lars S
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
One other question. I'm getting ready to clean the throttle body and noticed that the shaft seems to have some play on the side where the Throttle Switch is. Is this Ok or should I try to find a machine shop who will/can rebush this? (I mean side to side play, not in and out). Thanks!

This is wery common on the 1.7 TB since there is no bushing in it, if it is to much play it will make the idle hard to set fixed.

I put in oil seals on mine 1.7 TB with good results, not to hard and wery similar to this operation but this one shows a 2.0 type TB.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116762

Or you could go fore bronze bushings like this one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206017

Lars S
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:

This is the other part of the problem with the PCV valve. It is not like American or watercooled car PCV valve of the day...which used a weighted plunger on a seat with a seal. The weight of the plunger kept the valve orifice closed until crankcase pressure lifted it.

The type 4 PCV used a spring on top of a flat plastic disc. With heat, vibration and age...the disc can crack, split and eventually just crumble and get sucked into the engine. Its only about 1.0-1.5mm thick so it wont hurt the engine.

But....after the disc is gone....you have a full blown vacuum leak sucking air and oil vapor through the head intake pipes, through the pushrod tubes and out the top.

Many owners never even know that the nipple on the oil breather is a PCV valve. I didnt know it until about my third type 4....maybe 10 years into my type 4 experience.

So when this happens....an unknowing owner or mechanic might just readjust the MPS and fuel pressure to get the car to run...with all of this excess air coming in.

In normal practice...you have a little bit of constant bypass from the PCV. This is taken into account and its part of the idle air. The fuel baseline is set around this at the factory.

Yes...1.5-2.0mm constant bleed hole is a good place to start. You can always go larger later. I have never seen one require more than 3.5mm personally. I have talked to others who get away with 2mm. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, BIG HELP! Jeff Bowlsby is doing my wiring harness and is going to give me a correct MPS for the engine. I'm excited to get this moving. This week's goal is to get the engine out and make some much needed repairs (flaps don't move freely, want to test thermostat, paint tin, etc)

Any recommendations where I can get the correct spacers and paper gaskets for the intake runners? I'd like to take them off and put on new plenum to runner seals.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Thanks Ray, BIG HELP! Jeff Bowlsby is doing my wiring harness and is going to give me a correct MPS for the engine. I'm excited to get this moving. This week's goal is to get the engine out and make some much needed repairs (flaps don't move freely, want to test thermostat, paint tin, etc)

Any recommendations where I can get the correct spacers and paper gaskets for the intake runners? I'd like to take them off and put on new plenum to runner seals.

If your phenolic spacers are still intact......sand them on a very flat surface like ...a piece of glass or granite on 400-600 grit paper and then repeatedly clean them in acetone or MEK or some similar clean evaporating fast drying solvent. You just want to get through the greasy surface and make them even and flat both sides with some paper showing.

Then go to Hobby Lobby or similar over in the print making section and but a hard rubber roller made by speedball.

Take a sheet of glass and put a quarter sized dab of Permatex Ultra black (best) or Ultra gray or Ultra copper...second best.....on the glass. Roll it one direction with the roller until the roller quits skiing over the sealant and starts to roll. It will be apparent in a minute or two of bi-directional rolling that the sealant is rolling out to a uniform nap that is almost transparent.

Put a nail into a workbench through a clean paper towl to hold tthe block still through one of the bolt holes.

Then in one direction only roll the sealant onto the surface of the block. You may have to reload the roller on the glass a couple of times. Roll the block several times until the sealant is even and has even texture and is fairly transparent.

This will give you a coating of a little less than .0005" thick...about 12 microns. with a paper towel wrapped around the finger clean out the inner bore holes. Let it dry. Flip over in thee am and do the other side.

Clean up the glass...it dries quick when its this thin.

Right before installing...hold it by the edges and give it one more quick thin roll on each side with adhesive the same way. This will give you an adhesive level of about 18 microns. Install it and bolt it down. Wait at least 8 hours to start it up. It works better than the factory block gasket by far. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the phenolic spacer on the driver side is cracked clear through and the passenger side one doesn't look that much better. Can you recommend a place that may sell them new?

Also, If I'm able to find new / aftermarket spacers (presuming I get the thicker ones so intake runners line up), do I perform the same technique you detailed above with the roller and Permatex Ultra black?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the type 4 store. They used to sell them. You may have to get a complete gasket set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: