Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project 412 at home, finally
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its hard to adjust the alternator belt or it doesn't stay tensioned, check that the alternator adjusting bracket is attached to the heat exchanger from its lower end.
My alternator bracket had a rusted out end so it was attached only from the top mount to the engine. I noticed this because the belt never held it's tension even if i had just adjusted it.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that explains it: I don't have heat exchangers.

Therefore no mount point either. Thanks for the info.

Either I swap the current exhaust to stock or I fabricate something to keep the alternator in place.

But I have to say it's hard to imagine what the engineers at VW have been thinking ... "OK, we'll just attach alternator to exhaust and call it a day".

Bought hubcaps (cheap ones) and it already looks a lot less like a project car.

VW is selling (via VW Classic) correct hub caps for this car but those were 50 euros per piece: Not bad for a museum car but a bit steep for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting with an old Swedish Policecar I had a -74 Variant in the same color back in the 80:ies, also ex Police, automatic, a lot of extra relays and funny wiring. It also had pockets with zip locks sewn in to the headliner. Sold it to a guy that needed an engine for his Type 3.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good note: I've a zipper in the headliner and I was pondering what he heck is that.

Just above my head and almost as wide as the roof.

Some police equipment, I'm assuming now as it's not factory item.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small setback: I thought that 'automatic' badge from type 3 is the same as in 412 so I bought one from classifieds.

Got it today and it's way too long, at least 2 inches and different mounting points too.

Now I'm stumped: What kind of badge it should have or is there several types of 'automatic' badges for type3?

I found an image:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1077059.jpg

And it looks the same I have. Yet doesn't fit: Mystery intensifies.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be home in two days. I may have one. At the very least I can probably find a part #. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I will be home in two days. I may have one. At the very least I can probably find a part #. Ray

Thanks Ray!

But I should have guessed it's an topic discussed at type3-forum (as it is the same badge: there are just several of them) and let's lend some wisdom from there (just copypaste, I lost the url somewhere):

68vwfasty Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:00 pm
According to the parts book - (if this helps)

Name "Automatic"
from Ch. No. 318 015 226 to 318 500 000

311 853675 A
Name "Automatic"
from Ch. No. 319 000 001

361 853675
Name "Automatic"
from Ch. No. 368 015 226 to 368 500 000

411 853 675
Name "Automatic"
from Ch. ·No. 369 000 001

Fellow 4-owners tell me it's the last one I want. I'm assuming they are correct.

But some progress: Got correct paint today and painted fenders to green, overall looks is much better. Not too shiny as it was just spray paint (albeit proper car paint) and I'm not a good painter, but much better than worn gold.

Tomorrow some sand blasting (spot blaster, very handy for small areas) to paint bubbles & other minor rusty areas and some green paint to those also.

New tyres too as old ones weren't round, not fun to drive fast.

Friday evening is the cruising night here in Helsinki, 412 has to be ... ummm ... not pretty ... but at least bearable. Wink
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A copy from 3&4 forum(UK) this time, but I've no idea how many people are reading both so I'll post to both.)

All the new pics (this was a very busy week for me) are on the page but here's an teaser:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3566.jpg

Much, much better with green fenders and most of the other dings and rust spots covered in green paint. Smile

Some of those I sand blasted (some of the paint bubbles were hiding a hole, a surprise?) and some just painted over with acid primer and green paint (PPG L60A, but still from spray can). At least it should keep the rust off for a while.

I also ordered the trim attachment parts so I can attach the rear door trim back (it's now in the trunk).

I'll also drill the holes for the front fender trim as I have one (and the other is missing). The fender doesn't have holes yet as it's from a spare part car and didn't originally have them.

We (with couple of other car hobbyists) were also pondering how to fix many (semi)broken cardboard parts the car has and so far the best method is light fiberglass, applied to back side. either directly to cardboard or just using carboard as a mould, I haven't decided yet.

Other and/or better ideas ar of course welcome.

Also a quiz:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3596.jpg

Guess the time? (Taken yesterday in Helsinki, 60th lat. North. Not applicable to our friends in Sweden/Finland/Norway, of course. Wink )
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 9:45 pm?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
About 9:45 pm?
Ray

Nearer I thought people would guess, 10 points for that. Smile

The pic says 10:09PM and it's about right. No stand and not even expensive camera, but very sunny weather.

Official sunset in Friday: 10:46PM.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hulken wrote:
Looks great!

It looks much better in the pictures as it really is as the faded paint isn't really visible. Smile

On the other hand, I haven't done anything to the paint on doors/rear fenders, so it's possible those will get better with cleaning wax and waxing machine.

Trunk lid did, it was totally matt and now it's few shades darker green and semi-glossy. Totally enough for me.

We'll see. Today might be the day to do something about it as temperature fell from 29C (84F) yesterday (too hot to do anything outside) to more comfortable 23C (73F).
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, forgot to update this. I used cleaning wax and machine for two rounds on paint and ordinary wax one round and now the car looks much better.

Also got the floor carpet from US, it looks and feels very good. It has some mouse damage on edge but the car isn't perfect either so it fits perfectly.

Pics of the car already updated, pics from the carpet will appear soon and pics when installed later as I washed it and it's dripping wet now.

See & the others:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3599.jpg

I also washed the sill trims and those aren't too bad, after washing:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3621.jpg
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new alternator belt as the old broke, nothing major except the alternator upper bolt lost its nut as I loosened it a bit too much. (And I knew I must not do that.)

Also the lower bolt is in a nasty place, only tool fitting there was 13mm ratchet wrench.

We'll see, I needed big tools to turn the alternator at all, so it might hold with just lower nut tightened.

Carpet is still drying, can't install yet.

Now sauna and some dark Kozel, well earned.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a pic with carpet installed:

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3625.jpg

Wobbling steering is also being handled now, I've a NOS (hopefully still working) steering damper and got some help from friends with swapping the idler arm bushing.

That takes a while so I've been working on little KG: Got it inspected and while the 412 is in the shop, it's my daily driver.

( http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia/IMG_3442.jpg if anyone is interested.)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Just a pic with carpet installed:

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3625.jpg

Wobbling steering is also being handled now, I've a NOS (hopefully still working) steering damper and got some help from friends with swapping the idler arm bushing.

That takes a while so I've been working on little KG: Got it inspected and while the 412 is in the shop, it's my daily driver.

( http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia/IMG_3442.jpg if anyone is interested.)

The carpet looks excellent! Nice ghia as well!
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: project 412 at home finally Reply with quote

I haven't read all the previous post, but where did you get that front carpet? I could use a new front carpet. Mine is 44 years old, and you can tell it is. Bob
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically random ad here, thesamba classifieds.

I read all 411/412 ads from time to time as parts are quite hard to find elsewhere.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idler arm bushing swapped to new. It helped a lot, it's much better to drive now. Wobbling is still there at some speeds but very mild and above 60mph basically none.

The engine is getting quite noisy though at those speeds .. I think I'm missing most of the sound insulators from engine bay and elsewhere. I'll have to check.

I've tackled a bunch of other problems too since previous update:

Old steering column was a bit rusty so I swapped whole column from spare part stash.

I still had to swap steering lock (to keep the key) but not too hard when you have whole column out of the car. Got rid of the button start and have start from the key like it should. Nice.

I also enforced (as the one I had, was broken from three places) and installed the cardboard underneath steering wheel and small rubber tray between fuse box and steering column.

One layer of fiber glass carpet and some epoxy:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3624.jpg

Removed fresh air fan as it wasn't working, got it working on desk (just dirty and bad contacts) and put it back with new seals on air flaps: Old foam seal was literally crumbling when I touched it and there wasn't much of that left, so I removed it and used 2mm rubber plate to replace it.

Seems to work, now the flaps don't leak air. Fan box itself is slightly leaking between box and body, but that's something I can seal from outside of the box, nothing major.

Getting power to fan was an episode by itself: Where are the wires and which wires? Basically none was visible.

Wiring chart told me that rear window heater switch is in same +12V wire and starting from the switch I eventually found that there was a neat roll of black wire, behind dashboard. Good, +12V to the switch is here.

Also it told me that ground is connected to somewhere via a long wire and I should have loose ground wire (brown) hanging somewhere underneath the dashboard and it was, almost at fuse box so I didn't see it at first time. Another of those VW oddities: Ground wire is brown and black is used as a power wire.

Now the fan is also working and some fan is nice to have, just to defog the windshield in city traffic.

I also swapped the steering wheel as the spare part column had much better steering wheel: No cracks and uniform black colour and nice cover too.

Edit: Forgot the picture link:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3844.jpg
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is almost here so I had the 412 inspected and of course it didn't pass.

Fortunately it was one of the rare generic VW parts in the car which was bad: Tie rod outer end.

But nothing else, I'm quite happy with that.

I got new one from local VW shop (10euros) and I swapped it yesterday and a re-try is on Monday.

Also got a winter storage for it in a garage at my sister's house, nice. Only 60km from here and almost free so very good for me. Only partially heated but for that price I can't complain.

(And why that matters? Here's a pic from Ring I (nearest ring road around the town) at February:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/kuvat/ring_1_20100217.jpg )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: