Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 in a 356
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Type 1 in a 356 Reply with quote

So, I know the traditionalists will hate it but I am putting a powerful type 1 in my 356 and keeping the original engine.

So, does anyone know what flywheel/clutch and starter I will need? planning to convert to 12v anyhow.

Its the original 741 box that I will have rebuilt. Just not sure how to combine the flywheel to a type 1.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. You may want to contact the guys at FAT Performance, Orange, Calif. Ron Fleming and Greg Aronson. I recall it might have been Greg who built an outlaw 356, using vw power, either type 1 or 4.
Bill.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also contact Greg Banfill at Vintage Warehouse. He put a type 1 in his 356. Here is a link to his car. I think page 5 or so is the swap.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?...3835119dd4

http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. They are both using type 1 transmissions whereas I want to use my original Porsche transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW engine will bolt straight to the 356 transmission. There's really no problem. The TO bearing is either guided or not, chose a PP accordingly. You'll have to have a 6 volt fly wheel to mesh with the Porsche starter. If you don't want to buy a hybrid 12V starter. The 6V will work fine. Others will say that you'll wear out the fly wheel teeth but I've never had that problem. Zims sells a high torque starter for just such a swap. I've done this twice and never had a problem with the teeth...
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, so what clutch do you use? The vw version or the Porsche version?
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until my neighbor recently found and installed a 356 engine into his 356C, he ran a 1600DP VW engine in it for several years. Ironically, had to sell him an extra VW pressure plate/clutch, as the Porsche pressure plate/clutch would not work with the 356 engine in the 356C, whereas the Porsche setup worked with the VW engine in the 356C (WTF?).

Go figure.

During that period, he referred to his car as a "Vorshe".

Hoping to buy the 1600DP and put it into one of my projects...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: vw in a porsche Reply with quote

i'm wondering why the 12 volt vw flywheel won't fit the 356 trans. we use to put 12 volt vw's in 6 volt vw's all the time. only a very small amount of grinding to the inside of the clutch housing was necessary. i'm also wondering about the starter, if the 12 volt flywheel fits then a vw 12volt starter should work. I believe that there is a difference in the total length of the clutch and pressure plate between vw and 356. I believe the 356 is more by a small amount though.
Jay D.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I use a 6v or 12v vw flywheel?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are at least a few thing to consider.
1- The flywheel has to match the crank, and have the end play set.
2- The teeth on the flywheel need to match the corresponding teeth on the starter drive.
Badsix, vw had non o-ring flywheels and o-ring flywheels. This area of the flywheel correspond to its matching area on the crank.
Flywheel's can have the ring gear replaced. It is a machine shop job been done for over 30+ years.
My opinion is not many purist's want to grind out the bell housing of a 356 trans to use later 12v/200mm parts.
This obviously has been brought up before. I'm not an expert in the relationship of the vw to 356 parts.
But, some may think there is a difference between a 180 vw pressure plate and the Porsche 180 pressure plate. I'm not sure.

How's this idea. Can a vw 6v/gasket flywheel, that bolts to the 356 crank, be modified via a good machine shop to accept a 12v ring gear and/or 200mm clutch? I truly think this has been done.
The items that should not be changed are the crank and bell housing.
Hope this helps, Bill.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, didn't realize how complex this can be...
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, all I need is to find a starter that will work in the Porsche transmission but to a VW crank on the type 1 engine?
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: starter Reply with quote

In using the VW engine with stock flywheel/clutch assy, just use a VW Auto-Stickshift starter SR 17X, and adjust the floor pan if needed.
Also check for clearance in bell housing for 12volt flywheel. The clutch
release bearing should be ok withe the VW clutch. Go for it.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: VW IN A 356 Reply with quote

above ^^ do this, I believe the clutch housing only needs to be ground in a few spots. and it's very little maybe an 1/8 in. this way you use all vw parts and all 12 volt parts. and no purist will ever know. besides I don't think we are talking purist here, after all the op is putting a vw engine in a 356 that's enough to make a good purist puke.
Jay D.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I need a special starter as mentioned above or will a standard 12v starter work if I grind the bellhousing?
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a standard VW starter, you will have to change the bushing in
the bell housing. The best bet is with the SR17X as it dose not require changing
the bushing.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant thanks
moTthediesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW IN A 356 Reply with quote

badsix wrote:
above ^^ do this, I believe the clutch housing only needs to be ground in a few spots. and it's very little maybe an 1/8 in. this way you use all vw parts and all 12 volt parts. and no purist will ever know. besides I don't think we are talking purist here, after all the op is putting a vw engine in a 356 that's enough to make a good purist puke.
Jay D.

I've done this a couple of times, and I just used the flywheel to "machine" it's own clearance.

As you begin to slide the engine into the trany (I always hang the engine with a lift through the engine opening) you just turn the engine over with a 1/2" ratchet on the pulley nut. The hard steel teeth will easily (without any damage to them) machine off the tiny amount of alloy that needs to be removed. Remove a little -- take a couple turns on the mounting bolts -- roll the engine over again. Repeat until it is all the way home and turning without resistance. Then undo the bolts, slide the engine back out, and blow out the tiny amount of chips and you're done.

This method is great because it removes the exact amount that needs to be removed, and no more. Both times that I did it, only a few .01"s had to go -- hardly even noticeable.
myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the engine to bolt in is the easy part. The sheetmetal, throttle cable and heater boxes are a bigger pain. You will have to fab up metal fillers to fill the massive gap around the engine...including above the bell housing. The doghouse outlet will need trimming around transmission hoop. The air seal is on the engine of the porsche, but on the body of the vw... you will have to fab a seal to fit. The heater boxes will probably have to be installed after the engine and may require trimming or hammering near the outlet area. The throttle cable is just a huge pain, because of the angles involved. It is not an afternoon project to do it properly.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, thanks.

I am using my normal restorer for this. Absolutely understand it isn't a straight bolt in and means a lot of fab. My target is to make it look oem whilst making it reversible.

We will see
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: