Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual carb options on a stock 40hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Dual carb options on a stock 40hp Reply with quote

What would be a good carb kit that is readily available for my stock 1965 1200? Not really looking for much extra performance, just mostly for looks. Getting ready to pull the engine to clean it and the engine bay up and figured now would be a good time. The more vintage looking the better for me.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carb options on a stock 40hp Reply with quote

hi I don't know of any one making a new 40hp dual carb set up. theres all kinds of dual carb set ups for the 36 hp guys . I had to find a vintage dual carb set up by vanguard there is a lot of guys making there own 40 hp dual carb set ups there is some forums on samba that show you how to make a dual carb set up . heres some thing to think about. there are a lot of single carb manifolds on samba that take a zenith 32 nidix carb .good luck spencerfvee
buguy wrote:
What would be a good carb kit that is readily available for my stock 1965 1200? Not really looking for much extra performance, just mostly for looks. Getting ready to pull the engine to clean it and the engine bay up and figured now would be a good time. The more vintage looking the better for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i read some threads of guys making their own. Just thought maybe there were some for sale out there that I hadnt seen yet.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another option that might be easier to source, requiring no fabrication. 1300 single-port heads from a '66 US Beetle bolt right onto the 40hp's head stud pattern. The 1300 heads' cylinder bores are the same diameter as those for a 40hp engine, meaning that you could fit 40hp big-bore cylinders to your engine and they'd fit properly to the 1300 heads. That'd make the engine a 1385cc. 1500 heads won't work because the cylinder bores are larger.

With the 1300 heads (find them locally/theSamba) you can still find single-port carb kits like Weber 34ICTs or possibly still some Solexes. Then you can fit 36hp air cleaners, and end up like this which a friend had built based on a 1500 using the ICTs:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it drove me crazy trying to find speed parts for my 40 hp motor . it was one of the hardest motors I ever built on heads you don't have much to work with you have 1300 heads but then you lose the 40hp look .the best heads are the dual port ones from gremany hard to find in the states again you lose the 40 hp look I ended up putting big valves in my 1965 heads with dual springs and ported them that still gave me the 40 hp look . from time to time the vanguard dual crab intake show up on samba for sale .keep on looking you might find a set

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article in Hot Vws last issue. But the engine is beefed up some. Would check with Wolfsburg West - they seems to have a bit of "vintage speed" stuff.

But really, if you are going through the effort, why not also do a "big bore" P/C set? I did those on my 1200 and it was night and day. This way you would be able to take advantage of the dual carbs and having the car be a lot quicker is not a bad thing...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been considering going big bore on it. But I think if I was going to go through the effort, I would probably just get a 1600 and build it. I like the vintage look, but I dont know if its worth all the effort to keep it that way to me.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand my friend there are way more vintage parts out there for a 1600cc motor .and you will like the xtra power of a 1600cc motor .you can all ways keep your 40hp motor and one day you might want to build it . I am building a 69 by 94 motor for a dune buggy with lots of old school vintage parts .good luck on your build have fun that's what lifes all about spencerfvee
buguy wrote:
Ive been considering going big bore on it. But I think if I was going to go through the effort, I would probably just get a 1600 and build it. I like the vintage look, but I dont know if its worth all the effort to keep it that way to me.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks man. I have another 65 that I did the 40hp thing with for quite a while. Found a cheap 1600 for it and put a home made turbo together for it. Not sure what direction I want to go with this one. My girl will be driving it, so I want to keep it reliable.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Yeah thanks man. I have another 65 that I did the 40hp thing with for quite a while. Found a cheap 1600 for it and put a home made turbo together for it. Not sure what direction I want to go with this one. My girl will be driving it, so I want to keep it reliable.

Throwing a 1600 is the easiest way to do this. We have a mild 1600 (dual Kads, SVDA, port matched heads etc) in my wifes 1600. Has ben driving it a LOT for several years and the only issue we have had was bad fuel pumps. She can boogie along at 80 all day long - BUT we changed the tranny over to a later gear set so its not spinning at 4500 RPMS on the highway.

The flip side is my 65 with a big bore 1200 and stock tranny. Runs great and all that, BUT really dont like cruising over 65 due to higher RPMs......This is the type of thing you need to think about.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Port Orange (Daytona Beach) and really 99.9% of my driving will be 50 mph and under "in town" stuff. I think if I were going to go to a show or something with any distance I would just hook it to the truck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: