Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: split 2 seater convertible Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Did any other companies beside Hebmuller make convertibles with a split beetle? Just asking. Tim

Yes: There is information about some company's who made an attempt to make a Convertible or a design to gain the interest from VW in Wolfsburg. To bad there are no picts known. Some of the well known company's from Germany: Drauz, Autenrieth to name a few..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Pictures of #76 yesterday:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

I like that #76 retains its "history" over the years. Even for a valuable rare car like the Heb, it's cool to see the customization that has taken place during its time in the VW community.

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Old Minnesota plates.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Thanks Kjell for heading the owner to this thread... I hope he will reply soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

dogapult wrote:
I like that #76 retains its "history" over the years. Even for a valuable rare car like the Heb, it's cool to see the customization that has taken place during its time in the VW community.

Yep. Very cool as it sits.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Front against the sun.
A lot of nice cars gathered, mostly VW, but also some other cars.

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Old Minnesota plates.

Is this the same car? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...f2de1[img]
(The winter scene w/ it parked across the street looks to be South Minneapolis) Surprised
Question Idea
If true, I recall seeing it in the early 1980's at one of Jerry Coffin's (J.A.C. Auto) shows. ...also explains the MN Collector license plates. Cool
Nancy Lorntson, Bill Borkowski, or Jerry can anyone confirm; or add bread-crumbs to the ownership trail? Question Idea Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Dont think it is the same car. It had oval dash in 61.
But it is the pale yellow car mentioned on page 2 of this topic, that was in the Foreign car guide from 1961 😊

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

That is nr.428

peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Correct Carsten... The pink nr 76 is an early one. I see a detail for you Wink
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:

I saw what you mean. Good if true.

But an other question. How well is confirmed this is nr.076?
Are there numbers in the front?
It seems it sits on a later pan. Isn´t there a zwitter/oval heater knob barely visible?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
peter schepens wrote:

I saw what you mean. Good if true.

But an other question. How well is confirmed this is nr.076?
Are there numbers in the front?
It seems it sits on a later pan. Isn´t there a zwitter/oval heater knob barely visible?

It's in this registry:

http://www.karmann1952.de/html/hebmuller_1949_15.html

Floorhalves are from an oval, I have been told, like many other parts. As the owner in 1956 wanted a modified and upgraded heb. The owner got the receipts from the work done in West Germany in 1956, it followed the car 😊

I can only see the shortened gearknob in the interior picture, not the heater knob.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

This looks like a very late split T-handle or more likely a zwitter or oval heater knob location. Sure not 1949. So most likely a later chassis.
And I just saw the fuel switch lever is centered. So not a small fueltank wich would be expected on such a low number.

And beeing in the registry is not a guarantee that it was accurately registered.
For example the #684 was registered for a long time under a way lower number and was corrected just recently.

I´d love to see if there is anything left of numbers or badges in the front.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

I know this car has been heavily rebuilt in 1956, so a lot of parts are from an oval. The heater knob is the t-handle type if I remember right. I also know that the owner has used a long time to find correct parts if he want to build it back to original, that was the plan when he bought it.
But now I think he leave it more like it was after rebuild, its still a heb with an interesting history 😊

PS: I talked to you at the camping in Hessisch in 2009, but did not know you had a heb at that time, or was that too early?

ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:
Kjell Roar wrote:
Old Minnesota plates.

Is this the same car? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...f2de1[img]
(The winter scene w/ it parked across the street looks to be South Minneapolis) Surprised
Question Idea
If true, I recall seeing it in the early 1980's at one of Jerry Coffin's (J.A.C. Auto) shows. ...also explains the MN Collector license plates. Cool
Nancy Lorntson, Bill Borkowski, or Jerry can anyone confirm; or add bread-crumbs to the ownership trail? Question Idea Arrow

Hi Grant, I went to several of Jerry's show and I would have remembered seeing a Heb, I would have been tryinging to buy it! lol. And I am sure Jerry probably tried, or, maybe he has it hidden?? He would be the first person I would ask in this area.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
Grant Reiling wrote:
Kjell Roar wrote:
Old Minnesota plates.

Question Idea

Hi Grant, I went to several of Jerry's show and I would have remembered seeing a Heb, I would have been tryinging to buy it! lol. And I am sure Jerry probably tried, or, maybe he has it hidden?? He would be the first person I would ask in this area.

Hi Bill, yes it was somewhat of a 'regular'; having shown multiple times. Cool
I forgot which years and wish I'd taken photos, and knew FAR, far less about these cars in those pre-internet times, (as most of us did) - just that I DO recall being askance at the odd pink and not quite ivory color scheme...and positively horrified by those flower stickers. Evil or Very Mad Shocked
Too bad the owner wasn't on hand so never had the opportunity to meet. Question
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:

But now I think he leave it more like it was after rebuild, its still a heb with an interesting history 😊

Of course it is still a Heb. But for research, knowledge about details and changes etc. it would be good to know wich number and build date it really has. If there is something left.

Kjell Roar wrote:

PS: I talked to you at the camping in Hessisch in 2009, but did not know you had a heb at that time, or was that too early?

Yes, I had it then already. A shame that I wasted so much time without starting to work on it. But it slowly comes back to life now.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Of course it is still a Heb. But for research, knowledge about details and changes etc. it would be good to know wich number and build date it really has. If there is something left.

The owner got The Birth Certificate to state that it is #76 , based on the VIN on the floor pan.
The changes mentioned in Foreign car magazine are in fact documented with receipts that followed the car.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 Type 141 - Is the car still around? Reply with quote

The number 76 would be a summer of 1949 car.
With such a heater handle.

What we see is this.

Wich looks like a post 1949 or even pre 1955 handle.

So if that is nr.76 it Looks like as it sits not anymore on its original pan.
Maybe they got the VIN number from the VIN plate in the front if it is still there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: