Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Type 412 Wagon Calipers
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: '73 Type 412 Wagon Calipers Reply with quote

Was hoping someone could recommend a manufacturer for rebuilt/loaded calipers. The one's on the car now are covered with heavy rust and the passenger side starts grabbing after about 40 mph. Would like to get the correct parts on the car. Same with rotors. Thanks, -Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this goes without saying ....its far easier to just rebuild what you have

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0979/POR_0979_BRKHYD_pg1.htm#item3 Kits for $22 per caliper with hardware. Just need pads.

Rockauto has caliper seal kits for $26, hardware kits for $7.55 and new pistons if needed for about $15. All Centri brand...which have been pretty good quality in most things I have seen.

Also under 914, they have semi-loaded calipers...Raybestos and Centric brands....all you need to add are pads.

Automobile Atlanta has calipers from $50-75 each without pads. They sell the hardware..... spring, pins, locking plates or bolts...separately.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could rebuild what I have, but they are toast. So, I need to spend yet again for this money pit. (although the car did steal my heart)

How do you feel about these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Caliper-Premium...mp;vxp=mtr

I read somewhere that Centric isn't a bad fitting caliper for the 412. Curious to 'hear' what the 411/412 community has to say. Thank you
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centric has bee nquite good. Those are ATE castings so Centric is just rebuilding them.

Why do you say your calipers are toast?

Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all type 4 calipers the same? Will 412 calipers fit a 411?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Are all type 4 calipers the same? Will 412 calipers fit a 411?

No...there is early and late. If memory serves.....the early runs from 1968- August of 1972....and then August of 1972 and on. The caliper rebuild kits are teh same...but the actual calipers have different spacing and pads. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has me concerned. Sometime back I ordered calipers, and I think it was from Centric. Anyhow I noticed the left one was the same as my old one which had one bleed valve. The other one had two bleed valves which made me wonder if they were the same otherwise They both installed OK, but I did notice the one with two bleed valves did have a slight drag on the disc. The car brakes evenly doesn't pull either way. They didn't come with pads-----I installed them. I'm wondering if I should redo, because I'm thinking the one with two bleed valves is the later model. That was my first lesson in ordering parts for this car. Suppliers are not savvy about these type 4's. They have tried to send my type 3, 1 and 2 parts and even argued with me when I say they won't work. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences in early and late...are that they will not physically fit different years. The 411 and early 412 to August of 1972 have a different sub axle spacing. The later caliper will not fit early and eraly will not fit late.

The two bleeder caliper was a later version of the late caliper that allowed them to not have a unique caliper for each side. The bleeder valve goes up. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a feeling from what you say that I shouldn't leave the two bleeder caliper on my car. It installed OK, but as I said it has a slight drag. I thought that may wear down, but think I better change it. What's your thoughts. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with having a single bleeder caliper on one side and a two bleeder caliper on the other.....but it sound like its a little sticky. Buy a kit and rebuild it is the simplest way. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious... do the Type 4 calipers have the pin in the center of the bore like the Type 3 calipers have?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Just curious... do the Type 4 calipers have the pin in the center of the bore like the Type 3 calipers have?

There were eight separate part #'s of caliper over the years. I dont know all of the trivial details....there were left/right part #'s etc,

But...the early calipers that used the rotor pre- august of 1972.....most...but not all... I have seen had the center pin.

The center pin was there to keep the piston from cocking in the bore as the rotor flexed going through turns.

The late model 412 rotor with the hub-centric collar...was much stiffer and did nit require the guide pin. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: