Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87mm piston and cylinder need
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: 87mm piston and cylinder need Reply with quote

So I screwed up and broke the tab off of my brand new piston and cracked the jug. I'm told I have to go with the same brand to keep them in balance. My set are AA brand. Please tell me somebody has something that I don't have to buy a whole nother set just for one. I'm just sick over this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact AA and see about getting a single P&C from them....
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that tomorrow thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an accurate measurement of the cylinder to get exact size and have to balance the new piston to the other three.

Production of cylinders produces three slightly different sizes. Best to have same size if possible to keep all even.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit up John at aircooled.net - I've seen him offer up singles before
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try John on Monday AA has never gotten back with me to even say no. I wrote them the other at the beginning of the week. I originally purchased everything for it from Ed at Ed's foreign cars in Gadsen Alabama. Great guy! Very smart very good prices and he knows his VWs. I originally went to him to see if he could do anything. But doesn't have any. Usually he picks them up if the company messed up one of them and then he can sell them in singular form but he has none at this place and time.
63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try dons buggy stuff also in gadson area very good guy and can get or will help you out as much as he can i do have a mahul pistion and jug if you need pm me for dons number if you need it
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dj I'd send you one of the AA P/Cs I pulled off my engine when I had it rebuilt but unfortunately they are 85.5. Sad

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about anyone else, but I want to know what did you do? How did you end up breaking both pieces?
Just curious that's all
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
Not sure about anyone else, but I want to know what did you do? How did you end up breaking both pieces?
Just curious that's all

And why is everything so filthy if it is "brand new"?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same Thing happened to me on my last set of AA's! Here is my Post about it: 88mm Slip-in Bottom Machine in top Piston & Cylinders I think the problem happens when one trys to put the pistion rings in from the bottom. "They must go in from the top with the piston removed from the engine!" The New AA's may likely be part of the problem. I got one of these ring compressors and figured out just how to use it, ordered a new single cylinder & piston and got mine on fine!
While your at it "split that case" and clean it up!

djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was installing the first P&C with Ring Compressor that I had it really gave me a lot of difficulty installing with it. I switched to the band that goes around the generator and got them to go on. It was still really difficult to "slide it" into place. I just figured that it was a tighter fit So I tapped it on with a rubber mallet. after I installed the other 3 and they all went on easy(using the VW ring Compressor I ordered) So I went back to the first cylindewr and tried and tried to pull it off even sprayed pb blast and lithium grease. Nothing would get it off so I used the rubber mallet to hit it on the backside which worked so far out. getting behind it didnt leave enough room so I got it out farther and removed the head bolds and put some shop cloths to cusion the hits that the bottom side was being against the block. All went well until the last hit the piston tab broke,. I thought the cylinder was ok but upon closer inspection the piston came out of kilt and broke the bottom of it.

Actually, the new parts are clean. The mess below is because its where took the engine apart with oil spilling out. I got off most of the dirt and crud of being 46 years old before I pulled the old parts off. the additional I didnt want to get inside the block so I was waiting to get it buttoned back off to clean the rest off.

I finally called AA because they never replied to my email. That is already a strike against them in my book. Even if they couldnt do it they could have responded. I will check with John at Aircooled to see if he can come up with anything.

I dont know any names in the VW field for good parts or bad parts. But do to the no response from the email and having to go with a complete set. I might just find another brand to go with.

Sorry for the late responses, I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and dont always get on here everyday or work on my cars if I am hurting to badly
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may want to consider new rods too!
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still need an 87mm AA barrel I have a couple spares. Just a PM away.....
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: