Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug! Reply with quote

I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug! I left Austin yesterday morning and am headed to OK, CO, UT, NV, and CA for sure. Open to detours and haven’t planned the return trip yet. Give me a shout if you’re going to be along my route and let’s meet up!

I’ll be posting updates to Instagram: http://instagram.com/wroman

I got the hankering and purchased this yellow beauty just a few weeks ago. Everything appears to be be in good shape, minus a little rust and the window seals, and it made it 200 miles home. I put another 400 on it yesterday. Runs smooth and strong.

I'm a newbie with only Jeep experience. I bought How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive and a Chilton manual plus have these forums bookmarked on my phone. Carrying extra belts, spark plugs, and a host of tools to learn as I go. It wouldn't be an adventure without a few hangups, now would it?

Any route suggestions or other tips greatly appreciated!

I hope to meet some of y'all along the way,
Will

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(I believe this is the correct forum to post in. Please alert me if I have made a mistake.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a very cool trip! what were your preparations? What spare parts are you bringing along?

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Honestly my preparations are probably too simple:
- oil change
- new plugs
- visually inspected suspension
- drove it 200 miles to make sure it held up

I've got with me:
- more plugs
- a bunch of fuses
- three extra belts
- wrenches up to 19mm
- sockets up to 19mm
- my tool bag from working on the Jeep
- USAA towing and AAA towing coverage Razz

I plan on making it to Boulder, CO on Friday and taking it to a VW mechanic there to have him look it over. Also, my steering is loose and hoping to get that fixed.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a baffle or muffler for that exhaust might be a good idea. That noise will get tiresome after a few hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I'm thinking a baffle or muffler for that exhaust might be a good idea. That noise will get tiresome after a few hours.

I used to put in headphones when I had my stinger. Drowns it right out haha.

I love Austin. I used to live just east of there in a little town called Elgin.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea... at the moment I switch between either earplugs or Bose noise canceling headphones. They work surprisingly well!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes miss that car. swing by fl & say hi!!and say hi to my cousin joney before you leave austin...uncle karl too!! have a great trip!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police in some states may give you a hard time having no mud flaps. I know it will look stupid but you may want to look into it.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first thing I would do if it were me......adjust all valves to .006" when the engine is stone cold.

And if I was a tad more ambitious.....before the valve adjustment, remove the rocker shaft assemblys and torque the head nuts first . ( disclaimer.......beware of any head nut that wont willingly torque.....it may be pulling a stud out of the cases )

For spares, I would carry a voltage regulator, generator brushes, points and condensors.

Inline fuel filters, some electrical wire, crimp connectors and a spare throttle and clutch cable.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan - Didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads up!

Lost in Space - I've got a fuel filter, the electrical wire, and spare throttle and clutch cables now on your recommendation. Will pick up the other items you and others recommended, too.

Cali Army Guy - Elgin is a great little town!
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I sometimes miss that car. swing by fl & say hi!!and say hi to my cousin joney before you leave austin...uncle karl too!! have a great trip!!!

This used to be yours???
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
Police in some states may give you a hard time having no mud flaps. I know it will look stupid but you may want to look into it.

CA is one of those states. A lot of lifted trucks here have clear lexan mud flaps. Covers the legal aspect and it's almost unnoticeable.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
I've got a fuel filter, the electrical wire, and spare throttle and clutch cables now on your recommendation. Will pick up the other items you and others recommended, too.

If you are still running points and condenser rather than electronic ignition, you should probably pick up a spare set. I would have a spare fuel pump, carb kit, coil, some new fuel line, and clamps in my spare parts, too. There could be much more, but this would be a bare minimum.

Have fun on your trip. keep us all posted in here with photos and stories. We like to travel vicariously.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:

I have heard from friends who are chp that vehicles from out of state can not be written tickets for violations because they do know know other states laws. They did say that if there was a fix-it-ticket there would be an argument for the courts if it was legal in your registered state. I've mud flaps, stinger exhaust decibels, or window tint... If your nice about it... Wink
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnoroian wrote:
I have heard from friends who are chp that vehicles from out of state can not be written tickets for violations because they do know know other states laws. They did say that if there was a fix-it-ticket there would be an argument for the courts if it was legal in your registered state. I've mud flaps, stinger exhaust decibels, or window tint... If your nice about it... Wink

That gives credence to my life philosophy of... let's risk it and ask for forgiveness later
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting photos to http://instagram.com/wroman , but I thought I'd share a quick few from the two days of travel!

This is the bug's inaugural stop at Buc-ee's. If you've never been, they are a privately owned chain of gas stations in Texas that are amazing. The one in New Braunfels is the largest gas station in the world. They are like a Walmart crossed with an Exxon station with super clean bathrooms to boot. The bug was a minor celebrity when we stopped Smile

In Fort Worth, TX is a craft beer and coffee joined called Brewed. A couple of my friends started it. It's super trendy, but I still recommend it if you're in the area.

This is Eddie's Imports in Oklahoma City. I'm getting a new steering box put in. A fix that I knew was needed, but I delayed so I could get under way. I'm headed to pick up the bug in 30 minutes... I'll report back on their work quality!

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug! Reply with quote

Hi Will,
Let us know what part of California you plan to see or are you looking for recommendations? A couple of thoughts: 1. We have noise laws in CA but judging by all the open pipe Harleys roaring around they're not too well enforced. Exception is Huntington Beach. National parks, like Yosemite, is probably a different story--I've never had a car with a stinger but I'm pretty sure the rangers won't like it. 2. Wearing headphones is a no-no here. 3. I didn't see a fire extinguisher on anyone's list. They're expensive but I would recommend a halon gas type. 4. Take lots of water. If you don't drink it, swing by and water my lawn. Wink I hope you have the 100 mile AAA towing package--if not, upgrade--it's well worth it. Have a great trip--I look forward to hearing from you as you trip. Cool
Jon
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Schmid — Thanks for the reply and info on CA regulations. I'll be picking up a fire extinguisher today on your rec.

I would love some tips on what routes you recommend. I'm heading out from OKC later today towards Boulder, CO. Then I'll be heading north of Salt Lake City, UT. Then to Black Rock Desert, NV. Then down to San Francisco. My plans are wide open at that point.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanic Update: I had a new steering box installed at Eddies Imports in Oklahoma City. Aaron was very friendly and knowledgeable. They fit me in to their schedule and did the work in one day to help me get back on the road. I had a great experience with them!

Eddies Imports
3112 N Western Ave Oklahoma City, OK 73118
(405) 524-4741

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Tahoe is a must see if you've never been there. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: