Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
Dont believe the idea that thats the only round barn around though........I have seen at least 3 other entirely round barns in just Wisconsin alone.

Ah! Glad to be corrected! The info plaque on Route 66 lies Very Happy

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Any updates? How far have you gotten so far? Is the stinger annoying yet? Lol

I have to admit, it's a bit annoying haha. I'm all the way to Lake Tahoe, CA. About 2,500 miles so far!
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite photo so far. A yelow bug. Some yellow wildflowers. A clear blue sky. Colorado.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great photo. Cool
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed the hiking pic you posted. If you have time you should drive a little further south to Yosemite national park. Super beautiful and a hikers dream.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Noticed the hiking pic you posted. If you have time you should drive a little further south to Yosemite national park. Super beautiful and a hikers dream.

Yes! I absolutely plan on that in a few weeks. I want to stay there for at least a week and get some climbing and hiking in. Trying to find cheap camp grounds and also looking into the possibility of boondocking it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a head up. If you plan on hiking half dome you need a permit.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Cables_On_Half_D...rkId=79064
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked online, and all reservations are full. They do have last minute, first-come first-served slots available for both trail camping and the Half Dome hike. I will try for one of those.

Care to join?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked online, and all reservations are full. They do have last minute, first-come first-served slots available for both trail camping and the Half Dome hike. I will try for one of those.

Care to join?

Sent you a PM. Maybe I'll put my stinger back on and see if we can get kicked out of the park for being too noisy Laughing
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of noise, what's the cheapest effective route to reduce the exhaust noise? Do I need to have the stinger removed and a proper exhaust welded on, or can I simply clamp on of these on the end?

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Arrestor-STAINLESS-Muffler-Mount/dp/B003LIZA4Y/
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what type/size stinger you have, but they make baffles for most of them for around $20. They just slip inside your stinger pipe.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I tell if I already have a baffle? From what I'm reading on the forums, I think I may already have one. It's not *terribly* loud, but I don't want to have any issue in Yosemite. Of note, I did make it through Arches National Park for two days with no issues.

How big of a difference would adding this make? http://www.appletreeauto.com/ECONO-SPARK-ARRESTOR-CLAMP-ON-AC251074-2S-pr-19032/
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the econo and it is overall a little quieter but is now louder up front due to the design allowing 360 degree dispersal.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last update I left Lake Tahoe and made it Berkeley and San Francisco. I'll be here till Monday, then heading south to camp in Big Sur. Here are a couple of photos from Utah and Nevada. I'll get caught up eventually!

Old filling station in Utah. When the sign said, "Next services: 140 miles," this wasn't what I had in mind.

"Wanted: Young skinny, wiry fellows not over eighteen. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred." That message was placed on posters advertising jobs with the Pony Express. I drove US 50 through Nevada along the historic route through the desert. The bug doesn't have A/C, but I wasn't complaining. At least I wasn't riding a horse.

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! Very inspiring as I have the makings of a Baja - a poorly '73 Bug and a Baja kit - in my backyard... and the whole of Australia to explore
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
This is great! Very inspiring as I have the makings of a Baja - a poorly '73 Bug and a Baja kit - in my backyard... and the whole of Australia to explore

How you wouldn't have a baja down under is amazing to me. Seems as though it should be a requirement!
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:

How you wouldn't have a baja down under is amazing to me. Seems as though it should be a requirement!

LOL, yes I am looking forward to building/playing mine!

Buggies and Bajas have a long heritage down here, and they are handy! Volkswagen of Australia even had a go at making a factory one - the VW Country Buggy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:

ahhhhh, solitude.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

ahhhhh, solitude.

Indeed Smile

VWCOOL wrote:

Buggies and Bajas have a long heritage down here, and they are handy! Volkswagen of Australia even had a go at making a factory one - the VW Country Buggy

So awesome!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Since my last update I left Lake Tahoe and made it Berkeley and San Francisco. I'll be here till Monday, then heading south to camp in Big Sur. Here are a couple of photos from Utah and Nevada. I'll get caught up eventually!

You have any plans in the Bay Area on Saturday?
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

You have any plans in the Bay Area on Saturday?

Nope... What do you have in mind?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: