Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: 1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy a used 1.6 turbo diesel engine/transmission assembly that came from Japan out of a MK II Golf. I have a 1986 Golf 1.6 diesel non-turbo that I might consider this for. Does anybody know what problems I might have with compatibility? I thought of speedometer/speedometer cable issues. I know there are 90mm and 100mm drive axle flanges. If that's different, is it merely a matter of changing axles or does it get more complicated?

Also, I don't know if the exhaust bell is the same. The "new" engine doesn't have the pipe end/bell on it. I've only seen pictures of this engine which makes it harder.

Any other issues?

Thanks.
madmikeismad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan Reply with quote

I don't know much about them, except that all water cooled 4 cylinders will have the same bell housing, and will need a 4cyl trans.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan Reply with quote

It should be a simple motor swap. You can swap the tranny from/to 90/100mm flanges in minutes.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan Reply with quote

VWAL wrote:
I have a chance to buy a used 1.6 turbo diesel engine/transmission assembly that came from Japan out of a MK II Golf. I have a 1986 Golf 1.6 diesel non-turbo that I might consider this for. Does anybody know what problems I might have with compatibility?

From Japan? Is it right hand drive?
artbyedo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel from Japan Reply with quote

I used to own one, here in Japan,

Yes they are right hand drive!

But the engine and transmission are not different at all.

I sourced parts from the U.S. all the time with no issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: