Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Experience shipping a van from CA to MA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Experience shipping a van from CA to MA Reply with quote

I'm contemplating buying a CA van and having it shipped back to MA.

I searched the forum and had a hard time finding anything about this.

I'd like to see what sort of experiences others have had. How much it cost. How long it took. Etc.

Also debating driving it back, but don't have the luxury of time to handle potential break downs.

Thanks in advance!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem shipping vehicles across country - but having said that, the horror stories abound and the pitfalls are out there.

I prefer shipping arrangements where I am working directly with the owner/operator. I have used a broker and they have always done a fine job getting me what I requested - but not all brokers are created equal.

I always insist on a delivery where the vehicle stays on the same carrier the whole way - no off-loading & reloading or changing trailers. That is when many of the bad things happen.

I get the same driver(s) for the whole trip - this avoids the excuse that 'the other guy must have done that'.

IMO, your insurance should be in place before the transport begins. Yeah, most policies automatically cover a new purchase for 30 days or so but I like to have it on the books.

Most brokers will quote you a price with just a phone call - that at least will give you a ball-park figure.

I have used U-Ship to hook up with an owner/operator but be prepared to encounter lots of low-ballers, brokers posing as operators, bidders who ignore your specifications and more than a few a$$holes.

Good luck!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use private carriers, about $1500 from one side of the country to the other.

Syncro Westys and Westys only fit on the end of the transporter so they can make the height requirement for interstates.

If the vehicle does not run, the price will be much higher as they will have to winch it on and off for each other car on the trailer.

Get it fully insured for your replacement value and have many pictures of it being loaded and inspect it when it arrives.
busboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shipped my vw rabbit from WA to NY with no issues. Currently trying to get it shipped back (it is inop now) and im having trouble. I was given quotes from many companies. I would check ratings and reviews for them, make sure they were legit. I was working with one company and i had a reasonable quote. Get a phone call once we start to get the ball rolling and they raised it $500!!! Still trying to find a shipper. Didnt have any issues with the first shipment. The driver even had to buy lumber to get my lowered rabbit on trailer, and didnt charge me for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in MA are you located?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this company below. As mentioned above, if it drives it will be cheaper. I think they needed to unload it 2 times along the way (Ferrari in trailer top section went to Atlanta first)

I think the total was $1700 CA to CT for my vette. A van might be more

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/my-71-bei...1399665754
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a broker and it was a like going into a fish market, fast talk and action, things changed price went up slightly from initial estimate, but the guy called me back with updates. While I was booking with him, I got maybe 10 other voicemails from other brokers. I had put my info into some website and the phone started ringing immediately.

Price was about half the national companies that have their own trucks. The $100 "deposit" taken over the phone I realized was his commission and I paid the driver in cash when he showed up. So that might give you a feel for how that business works. Pretty competitive and lots of small operators I think.

Nothing bad happened, but if you had something you were worried about, if you are the nervous type, it might be worth the extra money for a real transport company or a referral of a small one or two man business like the guys that showed up with my van on the back of a trailer being pulled by a Chevy Express van loaded with a variety of things. I didn't even think to ask how they would transport it. This was a wrecked van so it didn't matter much. These guys that showed up just go back and forth across the country taking turns driving, obviously low overhead, but showed up when they said they would. Probably a lot of others like them with different types of transport rigs. They said they had just delivered another van the prior week for GW to Denver. Small world. Cost me about 80 cents/mile.
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snwbrdr435 wrote:
Where in MA are you located?

I'm in Newburyport.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check www.uship.com

I just bought a Westfalia in Atlanta and I booked shipping to San Francisco today for $1300.
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Booked shipping Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response, just flew back in from San Fran.

I ended up booking through Uship, Montvale. Enclosed transport. They should be picking the van up any day now... hopefully. I need it here by the 10th of July as I will be out of the country after that for two weeks. Because of this I did a "rush" bid. I think I will end up paying around 2100.

I'm cautiously optimistic that it will ship in that time frame, but we shall see.
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to finish out this thread.

Van arrived today and the carrier was awesome. I think I lucked out on the transporter since I did this blindly through UShip/ montvale. He was very communicative, friendly, and took real pride in his work. I knew the van was in good hands.

So for future reference:

Rising Star Transportation
603-540-6345
Aleksander K.
www.risingstartrans.com

Enclosed transport.

Couldn't be happier.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Now change your fuel lines!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: