Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring problems...?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
muppet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: wiring problems...? Reply with quote

Hi my name is scott and I have a 57 oval I've been working on for a about two years, for pretty close to 6 months I've been driving it daily, I'm still running 6v and a 36 horse. For some reason the last month I can start my bug fine in the morning and drive it around but, once I turn it off it has a hard time starting up again, if I can't get it to start up within one or two tries it will just die, then I have to push start it. I ran into something today with my lights also, I noticed that my blinkers wouldn't work at idle but, did work when my rpm was up, also my head lights were real dim at idle, so is it a draw that's causing all the problems? new battery a month ago,new nos bosch points today, new bosch coil and new condenser three weeks ago, I replaced my brushes and voltage regulator a year ago. I'm kinda lost right now because it was running so good.

Does anyone have any advice or dealt with the same problems?

Thanks,
Scott.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter issues: might be that the brushed on the commutator inside the starter motor are work or the commutator needs a clean-up. Also the solenoid may be dirty or starting to fail.

In general, I would suggest a bumper-to-bumper clean-up of each and every wire end and connector using a Dremel tool with a wire wheel, fine sandpaper, wire brush, etc. Over the years lots of corrosion, filth on those exposed wire ends will build up resistance in the wiring causing all kinds of intermittent issues. It's amazing how well many components start working after a thorough clean-up. Many on here will also suggest soldering fuse box and light switch connections on internal components to help current flow.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply dielectric grease to each connection to keep oxygen and thusly corrosion away for as long as possible.

Check how much voltage you have at the battery and how much of this is getting thru the wiring. Have found up to 2 volts drop and gotten that down to about 1/10 of a volt drop by going thru the wiring.

Soldering up both the fuse box and headlight switch is a must.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

and

http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

Plus have you taken off both battery cables, and cleaned both ends? Replace battery cables if any doubt or you have those junk clamps on the end of the old cable battery clamps, like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you do get new battery cable/s from wolfsburg west for best quality made just like the ones from the factory with brass clamps instead of lead ones. Battery clamps swedged onto the cables makes for a gas tight connection to keep out both oxygen and battery acid from getting into there.

Do same clean and grease both ends with the transaxle to body cable if it is even still there.

Also helps to clean/grease the surfaces of the transaxle and starter where they bolt together for a good ground. Check that BOTH starter bushings are not worn out. If they are the armature inside the starter can rub against the inside of the field coils and soon damage the starter.

Check your gen and starter brushes are longer than the cages they sit in.

Check how much voltage the regulator is putting out at about 1,500 - 2,000 RPM. Have seen a NOS regulator only put out 6 volts instead of 7.2 volts. OG regulators can be cleaned up and adjusted for higher voltage output, but you do not want to go too high or damage battery.
muppet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: wiring problems...? Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the help guys.

I put a new starter in around a year ago, and new battery cables along with a trans strap also. I know my brushes in the gen are still good, I put nos in last year. I'm wondering if it is my starter, its always been kinda weird like there is a dead spot sometimes when I go to fire the car up. I'm going to check everything you guys replied back with see if I can get her back on the road today.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
muppet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: wiring problems...? Reply with quote

Well I think its my generator, I should have checked it a long time ago... I pulled my positive batter cable off and it died. I'm going to get a new one this week sometime, we'll see if it solves everything. I think I'm also going to solder my fuse box rivets, and do a bit more cleaning with my wiring connections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: