Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box installation
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Steering Box installation Reply with quote

Replaced all my steering parts, but not sure what to do about the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box. I know that it on goes on one way, and I have it on there and as tight as I can get it with arm power and wrench. I'm reluctant to hammer it on so it can be pinged, for fear it may damage the steering box. So what do I do? Bob
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there should be a special lock washer that indexes on shaft and has a flat part that gets bent to fit on a flat spot on the nut.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumb ? - what kind of car?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitman arm is splined to have a flat spot to match the steering box spline. My problem is pressing the pitman arm on far enough to turn the nut up to where it can be pinged. Guess my real question is: Is it ok to hammer the pitman arm onto the steering box? It's tapered to get a firm tight installation. I don't want to do something that would damage the steering box. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
The pitman arm is splined to have a flat spot to match the steering box spline. My problem is pressing the pitman arm on far enough to turn the nut up to where it can be pinged. Guess my real question is: Is it ok to hammer the pitman arm onto the steering box? It's tapered to get a firm tight installation. I don't want to do something that would damage the steering box. Bob

This is your type 4 right?.....if you cannot get the splines far enough into the pitman arm to engage the nut a few threads....which is what pulls it into position because its tapered.....then you have damaged splines either on the shaft, in the aarm...or both.

There an be "0" rust. Use a combination of wire brushes and needle files to correct every last little ding. Then use a thin coat of anti-seize.

Be sure you are trying to put the arm on the proper direction. The pitman arm should just slip on far enough to allow the nut to engage. Then lock it in a vise with padded jaws...down far enough that the pitman arm is blocked by a vise jaw...or set up something to block it like a large C- clamp so it cannot rotate to the end stop.....then torque the nut to specs and peen the top collar.

The steering box on a type 4 is complex compared to types 1,2,3.....it also cannot be replaced. They dont make them as aftermarket replacements and never have. It only fit one vehicle.

You should make sure everything is done right. It needs to be smooth, have good seals, no slack...and have correct lubricant. Read some of the posts I have in the 411/412 forum for changing the oil to a thin synthetic grease. Works much better and will never leak out.

Oh...and post a picture. They are not designed to go down onto the splines all the way.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: