Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust, for sound and look
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miliceman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Exhaust, for sound and look Reply with quote

I have a 66, but with a 1500. I have put a Monza exhaust last summer. I like the sound, but not the look (I prefer the stock look). I've contact So Cal about the best between the Monza and the Tri-Mil, and the guy told me to stick with the stock one, but using Flared tips.

Can someone use this setup? If yes, how it is? Thanks!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a stock nut, so take this with the grain of salt. "Sound and Look" doesn't include performance or engine life, so I'm a little skeptical myself...

I like the stock muffler: decent flow (at least the stock OEM units with the internal pipes to make it a crude equal-length header functionally) , good back pressure, and it works with the heat riser correctly.

Those flare tips will make it louder, but do nothing for performance. After a while, the noise will annoy you, as well as those around you. Makes you look/sound like "that Honda owner" down the street. At least that is easily cured with a pair of stock tips.
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
After a while, the noise will annoy you, as well as those around you...

I'm sure this is mostly true, but maybe I'm one of the rare few, I enjoy an exhaust I can hear. I've had a few cars with open exhausts, including daily drivers, and I would always roll down a window a bit just to hear it better, even in the dead of winter.

I find VWs are pretty quite, even with an aftermarket exhaust. As long as you aren't revving it for the neighbors at 2:00 in the morning, run what sounds good to you.

Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is all stock stock muffler. Noise on a stock exhaust does not improve performance.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, for sound and look Reply with quote

miliceman wrote:
I have a 66, but with a 1500. I have put a Monza exhaust last summer. I like the sound, but not the look (I prefer the stock look). I've contact So Cal about the best between the Monza and the Tri-Mil, and the guy told me to stick with the stock one, but using Flared tips.

For a inexpensive sound go down to your muffler shop and have them bend ( I don't like exhaust fumes discoloring my chrome ) you some aluminized tail pipe cut to the length you want and weld these to the stock muffler.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
If everything is all stock stock muffler. Noise on a stock exhaust does not improve performance.

True, but some people ( not me ) consider the exhaust sound of a stock Beetle to be kind of a weenie in nature.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Louder and deeper than stock, less harsh than an extractor header and fits the original exhaust exit.

Not a bad sound. I've yet to use one but most likely will in the future.\

Video within.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471702&highlight=exhaust+sound

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, for sound and look Reply with quote

miliceman wrote:

Yes, I'm using a stock muffler and flared tips (ironically also got them from So Cal Smile ), and would say they gave you fair advise.

The flared tips are not that much louder than stock, and certainly not obtrusive. The basic sound is very similar to how a Monza sounds, just much quieter. Recently drove the sample car for two hours straight and the exhaust note never entered my mind as being bothersome.

They are re-pop's of genuine VW accessory's from the period, and fit the apron cut outs perfectly. Notice too that two big chrome tailpipes are "In" as far as current auto styling goes Cool

As far as stock resale value goes, easily changed back to peashooters for the purists Razz

As a side note, you get a similar sound if you knock the baffles and packing out of stock peashooters, just not quite as deep and loud.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, for sound and look Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
...you get a similar sound if you knock the baffles and packing out of stock peashooters...

Another thing you can do to 'adjust' exhaust sound of stock set-up: Shorten the peashooters. I've cut them 50-50, 60-40, 70-30, etc. over the years for my buggy. Currently using the tail end ~65%, with inner baffling and fiber packing left in place, so that it's quiet enough for me to enjoy stereo tunes while still being able to hear whether she's running ok or not. Oh, and then for looks, I have clamp'd Ansa extension tips over the short tailpipes, mainly to get hot exhaust gas out from under the somewhat elongated engine compartment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miliceman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, for sound and look Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
miliceman wrote:

Yes, I'm using a stock muffler and flared tips (ironically also got them from So Cal Smile ), and would say they gave you fair advise.

The flared tips are not that much louder than stock, and certainly not obtrusive. The basic sound is very similar to how a Monza sounds, just much quieter. Recently drove the sample car for two hours straight and the exhaust note never entered my mind as being bothersome.

They are re-pop's of genuine VW accessory's from the period, and fit the apron cut outs perfectly. Notice too that two big chrome tailpipes are "In" as far as current auto styling goes Cool

As far as stock resale value goes, easily changed back to peashooters for the purists Razz

As a side note, you get a similar sound if you knock the baffles and packing out of stock peashooters, just not quite as deep and loud.

Do you have a picture of your exhaust to see please?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't log in until after sunset so it's too dark for good pics, and just found out my camera battery's are dead too Embarassed Smile
Do have some older pics though, hope they help...

No doubt someone in the aftermarket developed and sold them first, but VW was quick to see an aftersales profit potential, so they were soon made "Official" VW accessories.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/69accessories/page2.jpg

Side note: Also found this cool "Official" Formula Vee exhaust while looking through the accessory catalogs Cool ...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71access/page10.jpg

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I didn't log in until after sunset so it's too dark for good pics, and just found out my camera battery's are dead too Embarassed Smile
Do have some older pics though, hope they help...

No doubt someone in the aftermarket developed and sold them first, but VW was quick to see an aftersales profit potential, so they were soon made "Official" VW accessories.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/69accessories/page2.jpg

Side note: Also found this cool "Official" Formula Vee exhaust while looking through the accessory catalogs Cool ...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71access/page10.jpg

Like the wheels! just the job.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse the brief diversion:

Mr. Goodtunes- is that an early Rabbit or Scirocco bumper on the back of your car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: