Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas tank sending unit rubber boot leaking
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: gas tank sending unit rubber boot leaking Reply with quote

Every time I fill up my 1965 bug gas tank, gas will leak through a split in the flexible rubber boot that's part of the gas tank sending unit. Since I'm missing the cardboard backside dash shield, I'm getting a strong gas smell for days until the gas level goes down. Is there a sure fire way to seal or replace this rubber (neoprene?) boot?

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any rubber boot as part of the sending unit. There is a gasket that goes between the sending unit and the gas tank (#58 in diagram below.)
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/index.cfm
If that gasket goes bad, you get the fuel smell you are talking about. It's a 10 minute repair.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rubber boot for VDO tank sending units is not available as a separate part. It's sort of a permanent part of the tank unit - the ring that holds it in place is peened into the metal housing and would be difficult to get off of there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's part of why I like the old early and mid 60s Magura brand tank units because they don't have a boot, they have an O-ring which can be replaced.

That style of sending unit has been reproduced though - one of many repro tank units made the last dozen years or so. I've bought It think most of the various ones out there, and when I heard about the VDO replica I thought it would be good, and bought one.

http://www.eisparts.com/113919049C.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And it was pretty decent, But... unfortunately on the one I got, the rubber boot was too thick, and would bunch up and not allow full movement of the float.

If you want to do way too much reading on the topic of mechanical (and some electric) gauges and sending units - it's here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231562

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: