Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How I learned to stop worrying and love the slow bus.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to play follow the leader in my westy. I have never driven it under its own power but I read somewhere in my owners manual that the top speed is 68 mph. Since I am never in a hurry to get to work in the morning I usually drive at 68 in my watercooled Subaru just to see how traffic on the interstate deals with someone going 5 to 10 miles an hour slower. It saves gas as well.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/1/15
Today's goal was to remove the passenger rear drum. It was on there tight, I mean real tight. My dad and I decided that what we needed to do was get some chain and bolt the chain to the drum via the lug bolts and bolt the other side of the chain to the 3 jaw puller instead of the jaws. I put the impact to the 3 jaw puller and bam. It popped off the drum like it was nothing. I also found out that the brake fluid reservoir is cracked and leaked out quite a bit of fluid. A new one needs to be ordered. I also found out that the passenger side e brake cable is broken.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent various messages to people for their buses. I couldn't find the ad again but by this time I had the contact number so it was a null point. I guess this goes to show don't discount any ad because you never know what you will end up with. This is literally the worst craigslist ad I have stumbled upon so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
beatles4 wrote:
Now that is a funny sticker. Where did you get it?

A buddy designed it and then I just ordered it on a sticker site. However it did have the VW above the "i" but I was contacted to change it or else!

better pic.

Nice looking engine. I'd suggest updating the fuel line from the old cloth covered ( it deteriorates terribly from the alcohol in gas today, don't want a fire there by the generator sparks ) and getting the metal tube from the pump to the carb with the loop at the top.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out why the doors don't open from the outside latch.

The trigger is broken.

I also found out that this is all that is holding up my passenger door. Scary to say the least. There is suppose to be a big metal channel holding it up most of the length of the door.

ping349n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be following this one closely. I'll be bringing my 69 deluxe home very soon an will need guidance as well.
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus. I have a 69 high top. Learning new things everyday. Will be following this one for sure.

Here's to skinned knuckles

1975 Beetle
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, the other thing I worked on today was the sliding door. I greased the hell out of it and it now glides easily and the latches spring open and close. My only issue now is that it almost seems to want to sag down and I have to give it extra force to close the back portion. I did some research and I am not sure but it looks like this is what I need. Does anyone else know? The door currently scrapes ever so slightly the frame that covers the tracks on the exterior while closing.

http://www.busdepot.com/j18875
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to oil the U-link on the rear hinge. Both ends. Very tough to get the inner freed up without taking off the cover which is a bit of a PITA. That u-link must move very freely. It's in the owner's manual, oil it often.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped one of the screws on that slider cover but I will try again and see about removing it so I can better oil the U shaped hinge.

Small update. I got the car titled today. I had a small issue because the title I had from the previous owner classified it as a motor home but the tag agency printed out my new tag and it declared it as a station wagon. The lady told me that it was automatically done by the computer. I had to have her manually change it back to motor home. For whatever reason I could not get her to issue me the vintage plate for a motor home, but I am sending off my original 1969 plate to Tallahassee to get my 1969 plate issued to my car.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/6/15

I bit the bullet and bought a drum puller for the rear. That drivers side rear drum was seized. The drum puller should be here tomorrow so I can get on with the rest of the bus.
I am also picking up a new master brake cylinder and wheel cylinders along with new shoes. The "mechanic" told me that the brakes were done in the last few years but I didn't want to chance much. The rubber lines did look new so I am not replacing those yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066PU1PM/ref=s9..._i=desktop
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all brake hoses sold in the US have dates on them. OE ones and others.
10 years is the most I'd tolerate.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/7/15

I went to Andres import part in Miami. They had more of the parts I needed so I snagged another parking brake cable, front wheel cylinders, shoes, master cylinder, and master cylinder switches as well as cork valve cover gaskets.

Hopefully tomorrow my hub puller tool gets here so I can finish up on the brake job and my other package containing both upper and lower master cylinder reservoirs will be here. With any luck I will have the bus able to make it to cars and coffee this Saturday morning.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/8/15

Good news guys, I received my Calvan hub / pressed drum puller. It made quick work of the drum removal. It was so easy that I could not believe that it worked.

I finished working on the rear driver side brake. Now the bus has fully functioning parking brakes and both rear shoes are properly adjusted. Now to finish the front brakes and the master replacement.

I also replaced the bit of gas line that was going to a fuel filter between my fuel pump and the carburetor in the engine bay. Now it is just a single piece of hose. I need to poke around under the car and find where I can safely put that filter so it is at least useful.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/9/15
My battery was deader than what my neighbor's dog leaves in my lawn. I
picked up a new battery. I figured if at one point the battery leaked and caused the car to need a new battery tray then maybe I should get an optima red top. That isn't a cheap battery, but the bus starts right up.

Link
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that sticker say SMU on the back? I just graduated from law school there. Bus must have spent some time in Texas if thats a SMU sticker
Not a Priest.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous owner had 3 kids who are adults now. One is in the Air Force, one is finishing up UF law school and the third because a successful banker. There is also a sticker that says "Gator Dad". I'm removing a bunch of stickers but il probably keep the save the Forrest one.
Bugdog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying this, and will follow your progress.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the bus around my street just to have the engine running for a bit. Brakes are still not operational but the parking brake works well now. This was my first time actually driving the bus. It is everything I imagined it would be and by that I mean it was like steering a bath tub. I need a rubber duck for the bus now.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new speedo cable and I am working on installing it here.I think they sent me the wrong one for my 69. The old one doesn't look like the shaft is that long, but the old one also didn't work.

This is exactly what I ordered but I don't know if that is what I received or if perhaps it somehow seats down further a special way that I don't know about. http://www.eisparts.com/211957801F.html

If that is not the correct part, can I just cut part of the end off?
Also the new cable didn't include a new c clip. Does anyone know of the correct size C clip I would need or where I can get it locally?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: