Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Honeymooon! - Coming in Oct
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: VW Honeymooon! - Coming in Oct Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a long long long time follower but I haven't posted much in the past decade. Well that time has come to settle down with that perfect girl (who owns more vehicles than I do right now) and start our life together.

What better way than to get a bug that hasn't run in 10 years running and take it on a road trip from OR down to San Diego and back!

Its a mostly done Baja kit'ed 70 bug with a single port 1600 on dual carbs (the motor came from another bug and was running when pulled 3 year ago)

The plan is to redo the brakes, make her prrr and see how far we can get in our limited time (we have about a week and a half for the entire endeavor).

This is all made more "roadkill" by the fact we live in Rhode Island Very Happy the initial plan was to drive it back here but that's failed with a limited vacation schedule.

This is how we recieved her.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Putting her back together

Engine shot

In her resting spot till we can get back out there.

So other than the Idiots Guide, fresh fluids throughout, and a hell of a lot of luck... what else should we bring with us?

The fun starts Oct 3rd!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phone, credit card and AAA membership.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a 65 Cal Bug from LA to Nashville with only a suitcase and a guitar in the back seat. I was only 18 and I did not know what breaking down was Very Happy

Don't over think it, don't weigh the bug down with too much stuff, bring a new set of points, make sure the charging system works well and have a great time!

A screw driver and a set of Metric sockets as well.

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: wedding car Reply with quote

Cool idea, we got married in 81 and took my 73 Beetle on our honeymoon, we didn't trust her Mustang not to break down, enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dextervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealfrogman wrote:
I drove a 65 Cal Bug from LA to Nashville with only a suitcase and a guitar in the back seat. I was only 18 and I did not know what breaking down was Very Happy

Don't over think it, don't weigh the bug down with too much stuff, bring a new set of points, make sure the charging system works well and have a great time!

A screw driver and a set of Metric sockets as well.

I will try to have the best time of my life Wink
I'm pretty mechanically talented
is my other ride

The basic plan is to have fun, travel light and enjoy where ever we end up.
Anyone know of any good vw places we should visit on our way down the coast?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: honeymoon Reply with quote

Let us know how the whole blessed time/ordeal turns out. Laughing Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so freaking awesome! The wife and I are planning a road trip in September. She wants to take the Sentra, let's see if I can talk her into taking the Bug!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: