Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thanks Lind for my new OG SWR paint decklid!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks Lind for my new OG SWR paint decklid! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this original SWR paint Double-Door Panel since I put it back on the road (after over 30 years of storage in Texas barns) back in 2000. An awesome old girl! She originally came with a Bastard motor, but is running a stock 1961 40hp engine now, purrs like a kitten!

Our buddy Lind has visited before and had seen this Panel Bus up close. It's taken me a few years doing a section at a time every once in a while to polish out the oxidation on the original SWR factory paint. But the decklid was the one place that had lots of mild surface rust, where the SWR paint had flaked off in lots of spots. I imagine that for a while the decklid was removed and sat flat in the sun for a few years and took a beating from the sun and weather.

My long-term plan was to one day remove the decklid and have my painter sand it back to bare metal, straighten any little dingles, seal and prime it, and then along with the roof, shoot both in color-matched-to-the-sides SWR paint.

Fast forward to 2015...

Then as I arrived fashionably late to the Red Barn swap meet during the April 2015 Kelley Park weekend, Lind came running up to me. With a sense of urgency, he wisked me away to a swap vendor and friend of his named Chad and showed me something hidden away inside Chads Split-Bus. Now I arrived late on purpose, as I had no plans to shop or buy anything, and when you arrive late, usually all the cool stuff you might want is already gone! But there in the Splitty was a very nice condition, correct era, original paint SWR engine decklid that Lind had convinced his buddy to not display or sell until I arrived. Lind remembered my Panel and it's dingy decklid, and had decided that this was a match made in heaven. He even showed Chad photos on his phone of my Bus and my decklid, and thankfully Chad stored it out of sight until Lind could put us together. I was a little shell-shocked, it wasn't cheap, and when Lind sensed that I might be balking, he said something to the effect that "if you can't afford it now, I'll even buy it for you and you can pay me back later. This decklid HAS to go on your DD Panel!"

Long story short, his buddy Chad gave me a better deal and I came to my senses and made a Saturday afternoon run to the ATM machine and on Sunday at the Kelley Park Meet I paid cash for this awesome old OG Paint decklid and packed it up for the plane-ride back home to St. Louis. Thank you so much Lind for thinking of the "match" and helping to make it happen! And thanks again to Chad for the sale, and for hanging on to it until I got there!

Fast forward again to this week...

So I finally got around to swapping out the decklids. Side-by-side there is no comparison in the looks department. I spent an evening polishing up both sides of the "new"decklid, touching up some little bare spots underneath the license plate area with SWR, and then transferred the light, latch, cover and hinges to the new decklid.

Here is a side-by-side comparison shot of the two lids...

The new decklid looks so nice that now I've got to go back and rub out the rest of the surrounding SWR paint on the body to get it to shine a little more like the new decklid if at all possible. Even if it doesn't quite match, the new one looks a hell of a lot better than the original lid, and now I have a SWR spare!

So thank you to Lind's vendor buddy Chad, and thanks especially to Lind for putting the two of us together. My Panels' ass looks a hell of lot better now! You were so right Lind, and now that decklid "IS" on my DD Panel!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome......great story too.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is in unreal condition. It's almost too good of paint. In any case, you might get to recoup your investment if you sell your existing decklid.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is an incredible upgrade.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind rocks! I have dealt with him on a few transactions and he has always gone above and beyond the call of duty. That new decklid looks fantastic!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I am always glad to help. I knew when I saw the lid that it would be going onto your panel. it was just a matter of letting you know that was what was happening...

the seller is my friend, Chad. he goes by the user ID "shortbus". big props to him for both holding onto it when there was much interest in it, and also giving a fair price considering its amazing condition.

I get a sick pleasure out of original paint buses and matching them with their proper original paint parts. I switched all three doors on the right side of my '61 mouse grey bus twice because I found better matches.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Lind's a good guy, in it for the bus Very Happy
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my new favorite threads and involves two of my best pals.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty Bill! What a difference that deck lid makes. You should leave it in the sun for 2-3 years and it'll all match...or 6-months in AZ Smile
This is the first split bus I have ever driven...after a night of Missouri Micros debachery...Bill said "you wanna drive?" Thanks for my first splitty drive nearly 15 years ago...I've been infected ever since.

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjonas wrote:
She's a beauty Bill! What a difference that deck lid makes. You should leave it in the sun for 2-3 years and it'll all match...or 6-months in AZ Smile
This is the first split bus I have ever driven...after a night of Missouri Micros debachery...Bill said "you wanna drive?" Thanks for my first splitty drive nearly 15 years ago...I've been infected ever since.

How is the best fabricator that I've ever met? We and the Micros miss you greatly! Make sure those ABC guys/gals treat you right... I am working on being at Jerome to drive Melissa's raffle Bus "if" I can get the time off from flying. I'm looking forward to it again! I think Shawn is planning for it too. Our love to Dawn! You too!

Wow! I didn't realize my Panel was your "first". Well, I take a perverse pride in spreading the Splitty "illness" to others, many have been handed the keys and taken off with this DD for some divine "seat time". A nice compliment from you and everyone else about this Panel. Probably the sweetest Bus I own (although the DC is almost done, we'll see...), a real delight to drive.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: