Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

just picked up a 68 bug!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: just picked up a 68 bug! Reply with quote

whats up everyone! i kinda messed up on my username.. was spose to be buggin68hippi lol im going to have to change that.. i was on this site a long time ago under the name oneupfabrication.. when i was building a baja.. and well that project is long gone.. i recently got the bug again to buy and build a bug and i came across this on craigslist its a 68 bug.. the guy and his son were building it but his son wanted a 67 and ended up bringing one home so this went up for sale and i had to have it! a lot of work as already been done 90% of the body work is done, the guy put a 6" narrowed beam and air shocks on all 4 corners, has a new master cylinder and all new break lines.. low back seats and a disc break conversion.. and all himed steering and a 1600 dual port engine.. he also has all the parts for it.. lights, carpet, bumpers, everything.. pretty much just needs a lil tlc and put together..

im stoked to jump on this and start building a nice low street bug with my lil twist on it hes going to gather up all the parts off the shelves and put them with the bug so i can pick it up hopefully this weekend I CANT WAIT!!!
here are some pix that i got from him and 2 i took today when i went to put some cash on it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks for looking and stay tuned for the build!
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! You guys in Cali have all the luck, we have all the rust.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:

LOL - was thinking the same thing.....Nice car. Have fun
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:

You got that right. Drool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we cannot forget Arizona on the list of rustlessness.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun project, looking forward to seeing where you will be taking it. FYI, it has a later rear deck on it.

-jeffrey
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! well he told me when he got it it was a pile lol.. all in pieces.. bright it home in the bed of a truck and the body on a trailer so he def did a lot of work on it to get it like this.. i didnt know about the later deck lid but he did tell me that he has and was planning to put 67 tail lights (the reason for the extra drilled holes on the fenders, and was gonna put a 67 bumpers on it.. which i plan to do the same... gonna go give him another 400 today or tomorrow and hopefully it will be in my garage this weekend...

i have built a wall in my garage to divide my glass shop from the rest of the garage.. but that wall is coming down to make some room!.. been playing recking crew the other day... need to finish today

Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got more done to the wall to make room for the bug.. putting up the wall kinda sucked but smashing it down was pretty fun but it being 100* outside wasnt fun... picking up the bug this weekend!

Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some interesting looking glass pieces started there Wink
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wait till i bust out some glass shift knobs!!!
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for some pics!!!
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the trailer hooked to my truck!!! about to go pick it up!! i cant wait ill post pix when its in my garage!
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the bug home and was playin with the air ride!

6"narrowed beam

dropped

and he gave me a beer tap shifter lol

also gave me boxes of parts with all new rubber for everything, 67 lights, fiberglass dash, a extra hood, and many many other parts...

let the project begin!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yeah - that feeling when you first drag one home.....That elation and all smiles.......Then you start digging through the car deeper. Oh cool - this is great! Oh shit, didn't expect that to be bad....Oh but this is awesome....damn this sucks, but I can fix it..... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Laughing Yeah - that feeling when you first drag one home.....That elation and all smiles.......Then you start digging through the car deeper. Oh cool - this is great! Oh shit, didn't expect that to be bad....Oh but this is awesome....damn this sucks, but I can fix it..... Laughing

lol the good thing is the guy did all the body work all ready on the bug.. not a spot of rust on this pretty girl! only some minor things need to be done.. like some clearance cutting in the front for the heimed steering if i want to dive it fully slammed.. i need to raise the gas tank cause the suspension hits it when fully dropped.. and i need to re mount the rear shocks in a different position on the swing plate.. and any other custom things i wanna do.. gonna weld up a lot of the holes in the dash where the foam dash would mount.. so its nice and smooth, make places for the air ride gauges and anyother gauges i add.. im sure ill get a list going lol... but the all the hard part is already done.. the rest is just fun stuff
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, you can do whatever you want to it since it's your car. But, if it were me....

The one thing I WOULDN'T do is paint it. Kinda liking the 2 tone. Just put it together (leaving the dash steel) and drive it. Cool

Dan
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - not a fan of the foam dash pads. Keep in mind that the glove box door will now be a little small for the opening - doesnt seem to bother a lot of people, but I dont like it. Theres multiple posts on how to deal with this - not super hard - you just need an earlier glove box door and some time.

Paint - I can never stress this enough - really think through your project before you start - it will evolve as you go, but the more major details you can have locked down the more time and money you will save. So try to get a good handle on the look you are after.

Not big on fake patina, but the real thing is cool. I have a 66 that I am doing in the future with a faded medium blue paint and I have decided to leave it like that - the only bitch is that I am missing one original fender and will end up getting one color matched the paint flattened to match the rest of the car - so one fender will be fake... So whatever route you go - just think it through.
Buggin68hippi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yeah - not a fan of the foam dash pads. Keep in mind that the glove box door will now be a little small for the opening - doesnt seem to bother a lot of people, but I dont like it. Theres multiple posts on how to deal with this - not super hard - you just need an earlier glove box door and some time.

Paint - I can never stress this enough - really think through your project before you start - it will evolve as you go, but the more major details you can have locked down the more time and money you will save. So try to get a good handle on the look you are after.

Not big on fake patina, but the real thing is cool. I have a 66 that I am doing in the future with a faded medium blue paint and I have decided to leave it like that - the only bitch is that I am missing one original fender and will end up getting one color matched the paint flattened to match the rest of the car - so one fender will be fake... So whatever route you go - just think it through.

ya i like how it looks now but i think ill proly paint it.. like a 1960s fridge color and i like a camel color interior ideal.. maybe a 2 tone.. my brother in law and father in law do flooring and im thinking of having them put some bamboo flooring in their i think that would be awesome! i like the rat look but i want it to look nice to, not really show car nice but some where in the middle.. gonna pick up a angle grinder tomorrow so i can cut some of the metal around the steering under the gas tank for clearance..and make some templates to cover the holes in the dash.. will also be taking out the steering column and picking up a collapsible column with a quick release on it.. i really dont care to much about the T handle shifter.. i think im going to put in a longer/older style shifer.. and pick up some tubing and some bushing brackets to fabricate the new rear shock mount location.. so thats the first things on the check/to do lists
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the 1960s fridge color idea. Give it that real one-stage enamel look with one of those plasticky kind of colors! The hard part would be picking the color! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: