Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Vs VW
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Subaru engine Vs VW engine
VW
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Subaru
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 24

RDAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Subaru Vs VW Reply with quote

Hey guys I plan on Buying a new engine in the future soon I want as much performance without sacrificing reliability and also staying in a decent budget. What's the best way to go
Thanks
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subaru gives you a fair bit of HP over stock beetle with stock power level 200k miles reliability of the engine. Of course there's a few tradeoffs in initial cost to install it and a weight penalty.

define reliable: do you mean total lifespan of the engine or few unforseen failures even if the engine only lasts 10k miles?

What is your budget?

What's your skill level/experience?

What's your goal for power? (obviously the same hp from a subaru means less due to the additional weight BUT it's capable of more stable hp)
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: VW Reply with quote

With a ton of work and adapting, you can have a car that is reliable. But if we all wanted reliable we would drive Toyota Corollas or WRX's to work.

I take VW Power anyday. Cause my heart is with Aircooled VW.

A guy with a 911 got smoked by my VW powered bug, and at the next stoplight he asked, "Hey, do you have a Porsche engine in that thing?". I said no, its all VW, and suggested he should put a VW in his Porsche so he can go faster.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, which Subaru engine is the question? I would argue that neither of the EJs is capable of delivering 200K reliably without having to do engine work -- NA engines will require head gasket work, while the boosted version isn't designed to last that long. Find STis with 150K on stock engine -- you won't, they either poped a piston, needed head work, had turbo-related issues, etc.

Then, there is the tuning aspect of it.

Wha't easier for you to fix? Subaru parts are 't THAT cheap.

IMO, one advantage of using Subaru stuff is it's LEGO-like, like VW aircooled stuff. IMO, they got many ideas from VAG.

Stan
My budget 2276 build

Last edited by stan_tichomirov on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan_tichomirov wrote:
I guess, which Subaru engine is the question? I would argue that neither of the EJs is capable of delivering 200K reliably without having to do engine work -- NA engines will require head gasket work, while the boosted version isn't designed to last that long. Find STis with 150K on stock engine -- you won't, they either poped a piston, needed head work, had turbo-related issues, etc. then, there is the tuning aspect of it.

Wha't easier for you to fix? Subaru parts are 't THAT cheap.

Stan

Good Point Stan! I forgot about all head gasket issues they have, come to think of it, its not really fair to put them in the same reliability category of Toyotas. Water cooling on apposed engines makes electrolysis happy.

There were also those WRX's that experimented with silver crank/rod bearings that left them dyeing at 40K.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and I personally know 2 friends that were affected -- one was cracked pistons, the other one crank bearings, both turbo EJ255s. Everyone I know with an NA Subaru has replaced head gaskets. I had an '07 Forester XT for 5 years, it's basically an STi in a mumu. Put down 270awhp, which is conservative.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
With a ton of work and adapting, you can have a car that is reliable. But if we all wanted reliable we would drive Toyota Corollas or WRX's to work.

I take VW Power anyday. Cause my heart is with Aircooled VW.

A guy with a 911 got smoked by my VW powered bug, and at the next stoplight he asked, "Hey, do you have a Porsche engine in that thing?". I said no, its all VW, and suggested he should put a VW in his Porsche so he can go faster.

Jeff

So, let's face it, you fibbed. VW never built any stroker engines with dual carbs, performance cams, etc., in the air-cooled realm. Laughing The guy in the 911 will drive his car anywhere, anyplace, without the temperament issues of an hot rodded antique VW.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I own a karmann ghia, a beetle, and a wrx as well.
I want to first ask, will this be a daily driver and your only vehicle, or will this be for fun? First off I think the swap is totally worth it, Id kill to drive one one day. If its a daily driver, I can see the allure of the subaru engine swap. Parts are much more available, and you can find subarus in junk yards with ej22s all day long. Try finding a vw in a youpullit yard, they are usually scrap by the time they get there. You can also find parts at a dealer.

I considered a subaru swap in my ghia, then my 59 beetle. I decided against it for several reasons. First of all is cutting, I just really didnt want to do that, and you are going to have to cut it due to cooling. This will affect resale value, granted Id never sell them unless I had too. 2ndly they were my parents car passed on down to me. I wanted to do it uninvasively on the cars but that just wasnt reallity. Now a bus you can do with no cutting by having a radiator mounted under the bus. But beetles and ghias will need cutting. Unless some one has cooked a rear mount radiator that works, then you will have to do a front mount.

There are extensive threads concerning the conversion. Check out shoptalkforums under conversion perversions area. Many knowlageble people there, Joel has just about written a book on swaps with awesome youtube videos, and his thread is awesome and full of info. Roach ghia aka OTX58s green ej22 na-t car was sicker than hell, another great thread and worth a read atleast 3 times.

It really comes down to what you want. Yes Im going to say that a subaru engine will put out more stock hp than a high dollar vw engine and more reliably with less maintenance, I know some one here might try to bash me on that, but facts are facts, they dont require valve adjustments points adjustments, carb tweaking, choke tweaking, or a degree in chemical engineering to figure out if it has the correct zddp ammount . Now it wont be period correct, but it is cool as hell. Ej22 sohc can be wedged in without cutting rear sheet metal. Quad cam stuff you are going to have to cut. A removeable rear apron is all most a must as well. But ultimate sleeper status. The other question is if you are prepared to make up the other upgrades to contain the beast.

Ej22s do not have have as bad a rap on head gasket failure, they are a reliable and economical engine with over 2x the hp of the stock vw engine. Now na ej255s, yes those things HG will crap out if you look at it wrong so avoid those engines. These engines are sensitive in the HG area, so if you rebuild an engine, make sure the surfaces are true. My wrx engine has had its issues with only 70k on the block. I throw a single miss fire code every once in a while, the valve cover seal leaks, and boy does she drink oil. Great and fun car though, as reliable as a camary, not quite, but 1000x more fun. Its one of the reasons I purchased a wrx, the engine, the awd, and they are cool in an ugly way. In so far as wrx engine reliability, in 300k, you are going to replace head gaskets, no way around it, you are going to have to do a timing belt (did it in the garage with youtube, with correct tools its easy as pie). Ringlands are known to fail, this is due to crank case ventilation being absolutely crap causing oil to go into the intake and cause the car to run lean, buy $500 air oil seperator, helps out a bunch. They do have their issues, no its not perfect, and yes a turbo porsche engine is better but I havent won the lotto yet. Every engine has a weak spot, you just have to learn to deal with their special needs.

Your budget will determine what you can do. Id say a full suby swap with you doing most if not all the work will be a little less than a really nice aircooled vw engine. The suby engine will change the character of the car though, that may not be a bad thing though.

Just some ideas.
Again I think both bad ass vw engines are cool as well as suby swaps, you cant really go wrong though its a vw Wink
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apples and oranges. You can't compare the two, IMO.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru swaps are getting more and more popular and they're not going away, it's not a fad. A well built na Subaru will put out very close to 200 hp and sale past 100 K miles. The junk yards are loaded with good cores for cheep and quality parts are available brand new directly from Subaru. Seems like a win win to me.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the BRZ other than that I have no use for them.

Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is fascinating that subaru copied the vw type-1 dimensions, and even with far superior technology they are still up against similar limitations.
They can't fit 2.5 liters reliably in a 1600cc size box either LOL

They are a great deal tho. New shortblock is under 2 grand. I don't recommend rebuilding one. If it needs rebuilding you are better off to get another shortblock. If you want to take it apart just to look at the pieces and re-assemble that's fine.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
Subaru swaps are getting more and more popular and they're not going away, it's not a fad. A well built na Subaru will put out very close to 200 hp and sale past 100 K miles. The junk yards are loaded with good cores for cheep and quality parts are available brand new directly from Subaru. Seems like a win win to me.

X2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will never regret the time it took to iron out the kinks in my swap. no junk ass china parts that take days to make work. doesn't drip a drop of oil, (est)230 flywheel h/p and a blast to drive. all for less than a turn key 2180...no brainer.

to all that poo poo the head gaskets etc, there is updated stuff to make that a non issue. furthermore, I would rather do heads every 150k than a valve adjustment every 3k...haters gonna hate.

I will put my bus up against ANY 2180 n/a powered bug any day of the week. I don't care if we tie at the end or if I clean the floor with you, or if im 1/2 car behind....I will be right there with reliability/driveability while you dick with a carb/timing

come to the dark side. we have cookies

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy of mine just dropped by with his Subby powered 914. WRX NA 2.0 JDM with ported heads, mild cams and tuned exhaust. The performance is breath taking. He really needs 911 brakes. Radiator in front was the hardest part and running the coolant lines but not that big of a deal. Oh, did I mention it's really fast and 30 mpg...
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear cooling is also possible and has been tested. three 18hr drives to socal in 2 months.
also megasquirt is the easyest to implement. 2110,2276,2276 turbo and now 2.5 subaru with the same megasquirt.i am only interested in the look of the bug and dont care what is under the hood as long as i dont have to mess with it all the time.

Anthonyisawsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine I used for my swap has 170,000 miles on it. No doubt it would last 200,00 easy. Except how I drive it Laughing . I also have under 1,000 dollars into my whole swap , I got my donor car for free though. For $3,000 anyone who has some mechanical background can do a Subaru swap. Try building a vw with 130hp that will last 200,000 miles for under $3,000... Yes certain 2.5s have head gasket issues but the 2.2s are solid engines. That is what I used for my swap.

1973 Subaru powered supabeetle
(o\ l /o) 1964 Baja bug roller
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, did you do a built thread ?
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Sumbichu if you dont want an aircooled VW automobile!
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
Buy a Sumbichu if you dont want an aircooled VW automobile!

yup i like that sumbich also!!!! Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out I did a 2.2/2.5 hybrid 'frankenmotor' with lots of headwork and some cams. I used a new shortblock direct from Subaru....for 1,800 I couldn't go wrong.

after having about 4-5k into my 1904 I just didn't have it in me to do it all over again with the bus. I spent LOADS of time making my swap 100% reversible with little to no cutting.

I love the swap so much, I am thinking about removing my 1904 from my westy and going Subaru in that as well.

would I do this to a numbers matching 1 owner bus? no...(well it depends Twisted Evil )

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: