Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Cooked Spare Tire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smudge1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Another Cooked Spare Tire Reply with quote

Same thing happened about three years ago.

While on holidays on Vancouver Island, I checked the spare and it was flat. It was all cracked on the top side. I bought what appeared to be a good used spare (passenger tire) , got it mounted and put it up in the clamshell.

To day I dropped the clamshell to inspect my spare and low and behold - this one is all cracked also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Could this be a heat related issue - hot hot air exiting from rad frying the spare - anybody experience this before - or did I just buy a crappy used tire.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our new tires (from China) last about a year here in SW Az. Some old american tires last longer than the new tires now. Price of fame.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the date code on that sucker?

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/tire_age.html

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '87 came with then-recent tires and an old Michelin spare that I finally had to use in June about a thousand miles from home. The Michelin looks great, but it's even older than the other four so will be replaced. One thing I learned about my 12-year-old tires is that no matter how good they may appear to be you cannot be certain that they won't let go suddenly, like in 90 degree rush hour Miami traffic.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is whether you want to take the risk of having a spare older than 6 years

OTOH, it a spare and likely will not be used for fast driving or a for a long time

Tires age over time as the rubber continues to "self-vulcanize" even while in use - IIRC this involves the sulphur atoms bonding

The process will occur even if the tires are stored in a cool dark area with no oxygen present (like in an argon or nitrogen atmosphere) - it gets worse if any of those 3 factors (O2, heat, light) are present.

Ozone will greatly accelerate the process, and this air pollutant is high in areas with precursor pollutants and lots of sunshine, like L.A., Arizona urban areas, etc.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having a new spare that is used in a 5 tire rotation so I know what condition that it is in. A used tire is always a gamble.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Cooked Spare Tire Reply with quote

Smudge1 wrote:

Could this be a heat related issue - hot hot air exiting from rad frying the spare - anybody experience this before - or did I just buy a crappy used tire.

I don't think it's caused by heat only.
I live in Vegas, a place that could be used as a heat-related testing area, and I have never had any cracks in my tire mounted in the stock spare tire location.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I like having a new spare that is used in a 5 tire rotation so I know what condition that it is in. A used tire is always a gamble.

X2
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge about changes in rubber chemistry/mixture in the last 10 or so years? I have several vans, and lots of tires new and old. I have a set of 40 year old Sears Guardsman tires that have absolutely no cracking,(I no longer drive on those tires, and I but them on one of my parts vans) and I just had to replace the tires on my 86 tintop(Summit Brand) because they developed hugh cranks in between the tread area. I installed them in 2006. I also replaced the tires on one of my BMW motorcycles because at 6 years old, and approximately 2000 miles, they developed large cracks in the sidewalls. However, another BMW that I have, which is garaged right next to the motorcycle with the cracked tires, is showing no signs of cracking. Although I am not religious about checking tire pressure, I do check them fairly often. A chemical engineer told me that I have to use the vehicle ocassionally as the rubber needs occasional flexing to help it have a long life. My empirical data suggests other reasons. Any data out there?
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest that areas high in ozone see faster degradation of all rubber. In general there is more ozone floating around than there was 30 years ago, and some areas have more than others. The decay of atomic bonds is especially accelerated by heat. In addition, you may see increased ozone levels downstream of well-worn electric motors. So if your radiator fan is blowing hot ozone...

One solution is to use one of the many “rubber conditioner” chemicals out there on your sensitive rubber. It works by offering up sacrificial molecules to the ozone thereby preserving actual rubber. I have always used an expendable tire as the spare, but your report will make me take a closer look.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:

I just had to replace the tires on my 86 tintop(Summit Brand) because they developed hugh cranks in between the tread area. I installed them in 2006.

I also replaced the tires on one of my BMW motorcycles because at 6 years old, and approximately 2000 miles, they developed large cracks in the sidewalls.

the lifetime is 6 years no matter what the mileage - you got 6 in each case
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Tbob wrote:

I just had to replace the tires on my 86 tintop(Summit Brand) because they developed hugh cranks in between the tread area. I installed them in 2006.

I also replaced the tires on one of my BMW motorcycles because at 6 years old, and approximately 2000 miles, they developed large cracks in the sidewalls.

the lifetime is 6 years no matter what the mileage - you got 6 in each case

There is no official pull date for tires, just manufacturers recommendations that run up to 10 years.

I have scrapped tires that were only 3 or 4 years old because I didn't like the way they are aging, while the ones on my low use pickup truck have no visible cracks and a lot more than 10 years on them.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Cooked Spare Tire Reply with quote

Smudge1 wrote:
Same thing happened about three years ago.

While on holidays on Vancouver Island, I checked the spare and it was flat. It was all cracked on the top side. I bought what appeared to be a good used spare (passenger tire) , got it mounted and put it up in the clamshell.

To day I dropped the clamshell to inspect my spare and low and behold - this one is all cracked also.

You say you have a spare passenger tire, do you also have a spare driver tire? are you running directional tires on the van?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I took that to mean his spare was a passenger car tire - perhaps underrated for van specs...?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Smudge1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ I took that to mean his spare was a passenger car tire - perhaps underrated for van specs...?

Correct - it was a passenger car load rated tire that I bought used while on the road. The spare it replaced was load rated and cracked also.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what Continental Transport tires made in September of 1992 look like!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

There is no official pull date for tires, just manufacturers recommendations that run up to 10 years.

I have scrapped tires that were only 3 or 4 years old because I didn't like the way they are aging, while the ones on my low use pickup truck have no visible cracks and a lot more than 10 years on them.

I have never see on over 6, but my main interest is in high quality tires for sports cars.

Low use doesn't matter - speed of operation does.

US DOT needs to address this, not just require a date code that most owners are clueless about.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I have never see on over 6, but my main interest is in high quality tires for sports cars.

Low use doesn't matter - speed of operation does.

US DOT needs to address this, not just require a date code that most owners are clueless about.

No, we don't need more government rules over us,
What we need is to, as a group of purchasers, stop buying garbage and accepting the CRAP being sold to us as quality merchandise!

Why? WHY do we accept crummy tires, inferior bearings, bad brake cylinders, short lived brake rotors and such?

What kind of people are we that we accept this poor quality stuff without complaint?

Are we THAT cheap that we will accept ANYTHING at a low price?
If so........l
We as a society will soon degrade into a mere glimmer of the World leader we once were.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Govt. needs to create regs. for public safety. The regs would not be "over us" unless you manf. tires, or maybe sell them.

Not everyone shares your or our interest in the minutia of vehicular operation & maintenance. Yet those people can easily kill and maim others.

So, I disagree strongly.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
we don't need more government rules over us,
What we need is to, as a group of purchasers, stop buying garbage and accepting the CRAP being sold to us as quality merchandise!

Both of your statements are totally contradictory. The reason American industry has fled to low-wage countries is LACK of regulation masquerading as “Free Trade”. “Free” being a euphemism for “unregulated”, which means foreign factories are not obligated to quality control, fair wages or even care about pollution.

I agree that we don’t need more laws over “us”, but we DO need more laws to control multinational corporations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: