Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Staying Cool On Summer Road Trips Without A/C?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhBetty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Staying Cool On Summer Road Trips Without A/C? Reply with quote

Greetings and Salutations Fellow Sambanistas,

Proud to say that I've just returned from a successful 10-day trip (and 2500 mi) to the Oregon coast.

However, my girlfriend and I nearly melted on our departure and return to Utah. My '87 Westy does not have working A/C. And for someone that wants to overhaul the engine in the coming years, the R134 conversion is hard to justify.

Just wanted to check with other folks who have adapted to driving sans A/C, are their any innovative approaches that the group would recommend?

I've seen the small(ish) DC fans that can go behind the driver seat, do these really help?

Appreciate any and all suggestions! My girlfriend says she won't come along on any more summer road trips with current conditions! Shocked Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by OhBetty on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no AC so we tend to only go south in the summer if it's to a higher elevation.

It does get hot sometimes on the road without AC; we have wind deflectors like these:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3222

They do a good job of keeping airflow up and turbulence down for the kids in the back. People ask if it scares me to take my kids anywhere without AC, and I tell them that I rode around Louisiana in a dark green Ford LTD wagon without AC (and with green vinyl interior) for most of my early childhood and I'm still around...

I would also recommend the later model rear side windows with the plastic vents at the back. They help air get through the van (although that's been the subject of some debate in an old thread here.)

Here's one thread on the vented rear windows:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475572&highlight=window+vents

If these suggestions don't convince your girlfriend, tell her you'll miss her when you go on road trips. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have A/C in my syncro, but would like to adapt something to fit in the next few years.

Here in Chicago, the weather (this year and so far) has been on the cool side with only a couple of "hot" days.
I also don't have front vent windows.

Cold towels in the fridge/icebox? you ever see the mobile A/C guys make with igloo coolers? That's an interesting one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me an undisclosable amount of time to figure out that I could open the wing windows more than 90 degrees, but since I did (and assuming bugs, rain and noise are non-issues), heat has no longer been a problem. Best fan you can dream of.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 volt fans with clips cheap and easy
park and camp near bodies of water for natures AC
use yout vent windows that's what VW put them there for

AC is a massive draw off the engine Mad and let's not forget the enviroment Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thread that is pretty thorough on different options...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519665&highlight=hot+van
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. drive from midnight to sunup only

2. buy a pump bottle sprayer at a Hdwr Store and hose her down periodically - every 2 years use the sprayer to pressure bleed the brakes
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Staying Cool On Summer Road Trips Without A/C? Reply with quote

BordoRico wrote:
...My girlfriend says she won't come along on any more summer road trips with current conditions!

Maybe you're younger than me. Maybe I've got 50 years more experience interpreting what women say.

Cold towels, 12V fans and opening vent windows aren't going to solve this one.

You've got two choices.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also a good excuse for her to wear a string bikini Cool
my wife has been know to travel that way Very Happy in the heat Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not currently taking any trips in this heat! Someday I will do in dash air conditioning, but it's too hot and we have been spending time working inside the house.

For those that don't know, it's been 100*F for at least the last week here and it might let up to 92* next week Sad
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
It took me an undisclosable amount of time to figure out that I could open the wing windows more than 90 degrees, but since I did (and assuming bugs, rain and noise are non-issues), heat has no longer been a problem. Best fan you can dream of.

I agree...but my wing windows won't stay open in the past 90* position. Any mods or repairs so I can get the cool blast afforded to me by the wings?

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive naked.

Seriously though, have you guys seen the informercial for these cooling towels?

http://www.amazon.com/Chill-Its-6602-Cooling-Towel-Blue/dp/B001B5I57I

they sell them at Home Depot and they actually do work decently well (at least here in Colorado where the dry air means rapid evaporation). Have your passnger dunk one in the cooler every half hour or so.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Staying Cool On Summer Road Trips Without A/C? Reply with quote

OhBetty wrote:
Just wanted to check with other folks who have adapted to driving sans A/C, are their any innovative approaches that the group would recommend?

Do what the hardy folks back in the 1800's did when settling the West: evaporative cooling. Wet towel, wet hair, wet clothes.

Carry with you:
Spray bottles
Insulated cups filled with ice
Lots of drinking water
An Enduracool towel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^Works, and works well.

OhBetty wrote:
My girlfriend says she won't come along on any more summer road trips with current conditions! Shocked Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I'm currently driving a black Jetta with black leather seats with no A/C (needs recharging) and a driver's window that won't go down... in Phoenix, where it "cools off" to 90 at night (the van's A/C needs recharging too, as does my R-12-equipped Cabriolet). But there again I'm a rare breed: A woman who doesn't give a fig about sweating and not looking like I just walked out of a salon at all times.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
...I agree...but my wing windows won't stay open in the past 90* position. Any mods or repairs so I can get the cool blast afforded to me by the wings?

There is a mod that involves (as I recall) undoing one of the pivots and adding an O-Ring to increase resistance.

A search will hopefully turn up the details. Pretty simple and effective - I did this many years ago.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty old school. Back when we were in our 20's air conditioning was a luxury and our older vehicles did not have it. We went everywhere here in Utah during the summer and even southern Utah. I remember it being hot, but nothing that ever stopped us from traveling around in our truck. Cool

The wing window along with the floor vents (that they used to make) would move enough air that your natural body cooling (sweat) worked well. We were young, sweaty, and just happy people.

Mist spray, lots of cold drinks, the movement of air, would all help keep you cooler. Take breaks often to shade up and cool off. Your van will like that also.

Now that we are older and spoiled, our Syncro always has the air conditioner working well. Still in the 105º temps we drove in last weekend. The rear mount air struggled to keep it under 80º up at the windshield where the inside temp gauge is mounted. It was still much better than being outside. Wink A front mount AC unit blowing directly on you would be the ticket.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
VWinVT wrote:
...I agree...but my wing windows won't stay open in the past 90* position. Any mods or repairs so I can get the cool blast afforded to me by the wings?

There is a mod that involves (as I recall) undoing one of the pivots and adding an O-Ring to increase resistance.

A search will hopefully turn up the details. Pretty simple and effective - I did this many years ago.
g

Thanks for the tip! I found the thread. I made this simple O-ring repair on the side mirrors and it worked great...the wings will be tomorrow! Bring on the fresh air!!!!

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timing. I just drove round trip to Missoula and back today. Temps were between 95-101, no A/C with windows down. It takes a mindset, honestly. Funny thing this is the first time I've EVER tried using a fan. It is a quality powerful fan and when driving at 70, the fan made no discernible impact with the windows partway down. Could not even feel its output unless I put it a foot from my face in all that wind. Fatigue from the noise and wind buffeting was actually a bigger factor than the heat. I carry Etymotic 20dB reducing earplugs and they proved a delight. I could hear the music nicely cranked, but the annoying noises were dramatically down. I suspect noise canceling music ear plugs would do the same relaxing effect. If you had a passenger, it would be kinda cool to have a set of those paired headphones motorcycle couples use, so you can say "honey look at that Elk to the left!" at normal voice levels over the music.

I kept a cooler of ice cold juice/water/pop and some snacks handy. I stopped to help a friendly Indian couple from Seattle who'd hit a tire and torn the fuel evap system off their new SUV. Cut the cord off my blow drier to bind it up so they could continue their trip with no issues. Stopped in St. Regis to buy cherries. Stopped to skinny dip in the river at my usual spot - literally 90 seconds off the interstate. Just kinda mellowed out, kept my attitude positive, and enjoyed the adventure of it. I think that would be tougher with kiddos, and also with a spouse who's perhaps not of the same frame of mind For that, I'd do the more proactive wet neck things, etc.

But the fan was a bust under way compared to the windows. When stopped they are invaluable.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
VWinVT wrote:

I don't know about using an o-ring, but tightening the wing is a pretty quick procedure.

towards the bottom of this page I have some pics.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605392&highlight=wing+window
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I find the fan most helpful is in conjunction with the rear-mounted AC. A simple clip on fan behind the driver makes that AC unit much more effective. But of course, the windows are closed in that scenario.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the wing window is on a pivot that has an adjustment. I set mine really tight and it's kind of hard to move into position but it stays where you put it.

Probably not enough to sway a reluctant traveling companion, but it does help.

I made a wooden dash topper that is level for my Doka and it has holes that can hold large or regular size cups; so in the heat, I travel with iced tea and when it's cold, or I'm fighting sleep......coffee! Lots of ice. It's a travel necessity.

Chuey

Last edited by Chuey on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: