Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BIG trouble - Front Bowden tube mount gone!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: BIG trouble - Front Bowden tube mount gone! Reply with quote

I gots me a bummer....
I just got my buggy up and running and lovin it but, I have SERIOUS chatter starting in first gear. I posted another thread about it and it seems I was missing the bowden tube, from what you guys tell me. OK, no big deal, $9.00 and I'm rockin.
Opps, not so fast - it seems the clutch housing tube at the chassis is missing. My guess is it was removed when the pan was shortened by the P.O. So, I don't have anything to stick the front end of the bowden into. (The chassis was a bit cobbled up)
Have any of you experienced this?? I'm all ears guys. This seems like it could be a real drag. On the plus side, I'm thinking this is going to keep my front end down and maybe less traffic tickets but, I didn't have this engine built the way I did to pussyfoot away from the stop light. I was looking to go "mustang huntin"! Twisted Evil LOL
Any ideas??? (PLEEEEEEEASE!)
Thanx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the rear cover to access the shift rod and take a look at what you have. The clutch tube runs through there and out the back.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry QDog, I guess I should have been more definitive in my writing - it is gone. the cable is exposed under the inspection plate and all the way out the back.
(I'm bummin.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to go. Install a clutch guide tube in the tunnel or install a hydraulic clutch.

I like the feel and simplicity of the clutch cable but I wouldn't even consider installing a new guide tube unless I had the body off. I'd probably take the opportunity to move the shifter back and ensure all the guide tubes and the fuel line were also secure and all the chassis welds were solid. Here's a thread, the picture shows where I cut open the tunnel

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520044

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The hydraulic clutch install would require less work and should work fine. There's a Saco master cylinder that can be mounted inside the tunnel but I'd recommend something easier to access like in the picture from the thread below.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562815

I put one on my Manx way back in the mid-70s when Neal first came out with the hydraulic clutch. I just got some fairly thick 3" wide flat steel bar bent into an L. I bolted it to the chassis behind the Napoleons hat, next to the brake master. I cut a notch on the side of the L toward the top and put the master in the notch and attached it with two bolts. The master was an old British Girling. I welded a tab to the clutch pedal arm about halfway up. I shortened the pushrod so the tab pointed straigt up at rest. It was a real amateur job and I didn't have a clue what I was doing but it worked fine and lasted for several years until I changed out the chassis for a newer one and went back to a cable.

This is roughly what the master cylinder mount bracket I made looked like. Its a bad drawing but not as rough as the actual part was. If I made it today, I'd reinforce with gussets, etc. I notched it instead of cutting a hole for the master because I only had a hack saw and a drill

Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx BL3. Unless someone has some other trick, it will have to be hydraulic. I already have the pan powder coated so "chopping" isn't an option.
I just hate the idea of hydraulics as there is always one thing for sure, at some point, they will leak.
I know nothing about the hydraulic clutch on a VW (I do know hydraulics tho) and I have heard a couple less than positive things about them. But, they might be exceptions to the rule. (???)
I'm not looking forward to the expense either.
Thanx again BL3!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is clutch cable tube totally missing or just broken loose from brackets and just slid forward?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.I.A.....at least from the inspection plate back - completely gone.

I was kicking around the idea of a plate with the proper sized tube welded thru it and bolted in the opening where the clutch cable comes out now. I would just have to figure out how long the tube would have to stick out past the plate. I guess I could adjust the Bowden tube that way to start with. Bad thing is, I would have to pull the body off and that isn't going to happen this summer. I'm having too much fun with it - even tho I don't have 1st gear.

Still thinkin...........
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the title of this thread, I'm not sure you understand the real purpose of the clutch guide tube.

For the clutch cable to have consistent tension and the pedal to work reliably, the guide tube must be solidly anchored at its front end (just behind the pedal hook where the cable enters it), at the rear end where it exits the tunnel (just forward of the where its used to mount the bowden tube) and also in the center of the tunnel so it doesn't flex around when the pedal is depressed (and waste energy, make noise and crack welds)

The guide tube's purpose as a front anchor for the Bowden tube is just its secondary purpose. Its primary job is to enable the clutch cable to efficiently transmit force by its the movement relative to the guide tube over its entire length.

The hydraulic clutch kit isn't that expensive. Like I mentioned you'd need to make your own L bracket, the small plate in the kit is only good for the VW sedan

http://www.mooreparts.com/6166-CNC320B/

Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think an open span of clutch cable - between where the tub was shortened and the back of the pan - will negatively effect the operation, even if I anchor a short tube where the clutch comes out of the pan? As opposed to running another tube up to the existing remains of the original clutch tube, attaching to it, leaving a proper amount out of the back of the tub and all the while welding/securing it to the tunnel? Hmmmmm.... I guess I don't get it.

My feeling was the clutch cable guide tube allowed for easy replacement of the cable, and "mounting", and the bowden tube, did a separate job, altho attached to the end of the tube, via the bow in it which had to be secured to the end of the tube on the front end and trans mount. Movement of the cable in the tunnel seemed irrelevant as long as both ends are secured to the tub. Yeah, there is a possible issue of "wear" where it rubs but other than that.....

Am I wrong here?? Confused
(Sorry if my writing is hard to understand. I'm no great literary figure. Wink )
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note...
How does his situation differ from the clutch cable in a Tow'd?

(With way more projects than spare time!)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircraft have control cables which run from the cockpit to the flight controls and they don't have guide tubes. What they do have though is pulleys.

The cables path through the VW tunnel isn't straight, either laterally or vertically. It also runs closely parallel to the throttle cable/tube and shift rod.

You could mount pulleys inside the tunnel to make the bends and not require a guide tube, but if the run isn't dead straight, a fixed dimension and completely separate from all other objects, its one or the other.

Tow'ds have short guide tubes attached to the rear torsion housing. Due to the lack of a "tunnel" on a Tow'd the cable could make a straight run from the pedal hook back to where the guide tube began.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have an autostick chassis.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I am looking into a hydraulic clutch in my Mini-T.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flexible cable guide that is fixed at front & back ala motorcycle cables will work too, altho not with stock vw cables
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, we are never too old to learn, and better before than after you screw up!

We still haven't got the toasted remains of our Tow'd home yet so am happy to see details like this in preparation for the major tear-down in our future.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try a plate bolted over the oval hole, where the cable comes out of the pan, with a 5/8" bolt threaded thru it and a hole machined long ways thru the bolt for the cable to run thru and the end cut down to fit in the bowden tube. Then, with a jam nut, I should be able to not only attach the bowden tube but adjust it as well.
That is a quick synopsis of what I have planned. If you would like more details, let me know. I will post about it when I get it done but it may not be right away. ("Barefoot shoemaker".)
BTW, I own a welding/fab shop so this is not hard to do for me.
Thanx for all the help and ideas folks!!
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that could work to me.... post some pic.s up on this thread once you are done.
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable guide is 2 parts and works great. I have the last 6 inches and its welded to the rear frame through the old hole and about 6 inches up front. Make sure you bell the the 2 ends inside to make it not chaffe up the cable. Good luck and practice your yoga before trying to weld the front. 2 hours of prep, 30 seconds of weld.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: