Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft, pushrod, rocker arm perfect combination
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jirizarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Camshaft, pushrod, rocker arm perfect combination Reply with quote

Hey guys I've been doing a lot of research and reading a lot of the forms but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm building a 1914 and am completely lost with finding the perfect combination between pushrods camshaft and rocker arms. I would like to know if there is a company that makes camshafts rocker arms and pushrods that come perfectly for each other and I won't have to adjust my pushrods. This is my first build and I am trying to keep it simple... if that is possible. If there isn't a certain company that makes all three parts what can I do to make it as simple as possible to buy and install the parts. If it matters any the heads are going to be dual ported and bored at 94 mm, stock crank and case. Thank you ahead of time for you help!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of good shops on the East coast , one close to you is Proflow,
T: (770) 653-2436
E: [email protected]

Pro-Flow Performance
41 Poag Crossing
Hiram, GA 30141

I am sure if you buy the parts from them they would walk you through it , not hard to do after you do it once. If you were a little closer to me I would be glad to help someone who wants to learn. Mike McCarthy
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Berg.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing component in your combo is the crankcase. Its dimensions influence pushrod length.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your cam and lifter from the same company. Rockers from CB as they're what they say. 1.4 is 1.4....not 1.52 or whatever
Pushrods just have to be cut. Crankcases are not the same and never will be. Were the cyljnder sealing surfaces decked? And how much? What size motor? Narrower or wider than stock? Easy to set geometry and size your pushrods for cutting.....just a little time consuming.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft, pushrod, rocker arm perfect combination Reply with quote

Jirizarry wrote:
Hey guys I've been doing a lot of research and reading a lot of the forms but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm building a 1914 and am completely lost with finding the perfect combination between pushrods camshaft and rocker arms. I would like to know if there is a company that makes camshafts rocker arms and pushrods that come perfectly for each other and I won't have to adjust my pushrods. This is my first build and I am trying to keep it simple... if that is possible. If there isn't a certain company that makes all three parts what can I do to make it as simple as possible to buy and install the parts. If it matters any the heads are going to be dual ported and bored at 94 mm, stock crank and case. Thank you ahead of time for you help!!

All pushrods need adjusting with flat tappet cams. You can somewhat keep them from going out of adjustment by getting a GOOD valve job by a real head shop. IMO the best pushrods are HD aluminum ones from Norris, ACN, or CB/Manton. As far as cams and lifters working together well, the consensus is that you should keep brands together, so SCAT on SCAT, CB on CB, etc...
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I would like to know what the realistic budget for your engine build will be . I have built engines with very modest budgets and some with more expensive ones. I will give an example, my street engine in the red car,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZrEFElU24

Would I pick the same components for your engine ,probably not . The thing I try to tell everyone to do is set yourself realistic goals for your engines. If you are just going to cruise around and use the engine as a daily driver you do not need or really want radical combinations of parts . Now if your goal is to turn 7500 rpm's and to race it every month I would spend the money for all the good stuff.

To answer this question ,
I would like to know if there is a company that makes camshafts rocker arms and pushrods that come perfectly for each other and I won't have to adjust my pushrods.

The easiest / cheapest combination would be something like stock rockers, pushrods and a small camshaft like a C 35 Scat or Engle 110 with heavy duty single springs. Add a set of swivel feet adjusters instead of the stock adjusters . They make a kit to replace the stock rocker shafts and washers . Simple easy combination that will work up to about 6,000 rpm's .
Again let us know what your budget is for the valve train and we can help you save some money by buying the correct parts the first time. Mike McCarthy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: