Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Complete bodies available?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Complete bodies available? Reply with quote

I know there are several makers of reproduction VW body repair panels, but has anyone gone to the next step: making complete car bodies? Wouldn't that be sweet to be able to buy the complete body (I know it would HAVE to be pricey) and then just bolt it to your pan, and bolt on your fenders, etc. !

Just day-dreaming after re-surveying all the body work my project needs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent roller would be far less expensive--and thicker, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69 Camaros, maybe. '32 Fords, okay. But beetles? Why even try to fake the funk?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW folk are cheap, your market would be limited. Your next issue would be what year would you make, Pre 52 splits, zwitters, 54-57, 58-64, 65-67, 68+ standards, 71-72 supers, 73-77 supers? Splits would most likely be most profitable but the cost to finish it would be pretty steep. I have a friend who repoped W decklids in steel. Top notch repro, reasonably priced in comparison to the originals, but they didn't really fly off the shelves like you would think.

Nice thought but it would never fly.

-jeffrey
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
VW folk are cheap, -jeffrey

Eggs-zactly... One of the cheapest car cultures to date...

They'd.... Think ..we'd... want a full body shipped to our door for $1000 (or less) using Paypal and it better include the body gasket, new hardware and be fully painted to original German specs.

Sure.. having a new body would be nice.. but in reality.. .with some work and/or money you can rebuild these tin beaters pretty easily.. and to be BETTER than "factory"..

If the "factory" was so good... why are we having to rebuild most of them Wink
Answer...The cheap and frugal owners who drove these into the dirt through hell and back and left them out to rot cause "We'z a gonna RE-store it"...

I've watch more turn into a pile of German rust dust than be RE-stored.

Lots of things have been improved on in regards to rust prevention since the 1930's and you can bet it wouldn't be include in a new VW body price.

VW did a decent job.. and in retrospect much better than most at the height of air cooled production.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to pick up a non running Mexican bug in Mexico for cheap.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments. In general, the air cooled VW hobbyist is a frugal bunch who would never cough up $20K for a bare "body in white" Beetle shell. Even if it was produced the replica would not have the same German quality of fit and finish, sheet metal thickness and high quality steel.

Now, that's for a Standard Beetle. Due to the rarity and high demand what MIGHT sell and make financial sense would be an early Bus FIBERGLASS replica shell that would sit on a newer style ladder chassis. The chassis (tubular steel) could be similar to what Berrien Buggy is currently offering for their Dune Buggy fiberglass bodies. It would still use the classic VW air cooled flat 4 engine and tranny in the rear. It would be similar to what Factory Five is currently doing with replica Shelby Cobra fiberglass bodies and tubular steel frames.

I am also curious as to what happened to all of the original VW Beetle/Bus/Ghia stamping dies and heavy machinery. Are they sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the world(?)
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ....that's what I was kind of hinting at in my original post. Did the Mexicans and Brazilians (and Germans for that matter) melt the old dies down as scrap iron, or are they rusting away in some warehouse? Perhaps a WW crew could launch an expedition and track them down!! And, yes ....perhaps a fibreglas replica would be part of the answer. I've thought of making fibreglas moulds of the patch panels I've bought ...wonder if there's a market for fibreglas patch panels?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote "wonder if there's a market for fiberglass patch panels?"

In my opinion no. Steel is always better in most peoples opinions. That's why all the muscle car repro panels are steel cause there isn't a market for glass.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, steel is the way to go for repro panels. You can currently purchase brand new late '60's Camaro steel body shells, including doors and truck lid, for around $14k from Dynacorn. That price does not include the front clip, hood or fenders. They are official GM licensed body shells and they are currently developing a brand new Ford Bronco '66-'77 steel body tub. The original Bronco bodies were rust magnets so this will be a great option if you can find a rusted out beater with a solid chassis.

I do see a market for officially licensed early VW Bus shells as "restorable" examples are getting difficult to find. What Samba member would not want a "brand new" classic 1949-1967 early VW Bus in their collection?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
the replica would not have the same German quality of fit and finish, sheet metal thickness and high quality steel.

That's not true, the W decklids I mentioned earlier were of the same gauge as the originals. The shape and stamping are spot on, even the number of spot welds were replicated. Quality sheet metal is possible, it's just not cheap. Those decklids cost 100k just for the tooling. So to do the same for a complete shell (beetle or bus) would be a significant expense. Gearson at Classic Fab has been creating numerous parts for early buses. All OEM quality. His stuff is top notch. Although he doesn't do complete shells, with his parts you can probably build 75% of an early bus. He's started doing split window fenders, heater channels, aprons and a number of other patch panels. As the need grows, he'll probably start with other needed panels for later cars.

His stuff ain't cheap but you get what you pay for.

-jeffrey
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. the more a specific car becomes collectible and pricey, the more quality reproduction parts become available. You can already buy complete kubelwagen shells from lehar in the czech republic, and it won't be much time before you can pretty much build an almost complete beetle shell from gerson's panels.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that Klassic Fab (the funky green panels) makes some high quality replacement sheet metal. They are now selling Oval and Split Beetle front fenders, but they are pricey at $800 for the front pair. But like most things in life you get what you pay for. Quality does not come cheap.

Maybe one day we will see similar ads online for licensed reproductions of VW Beetle and Bus shells...

itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: My $00.02 American... Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know the fate of the stamping and molding machines. My bet is they got shipped from Deutschland to Mexico (at least, for the most modern body style.)

As far as the older ones, as much as I'd like to think they are stored, perhaps forgotten in a VW warehouse, or maybe in a ginormous storage facility at one of the Porsche estates in Germany, but our luck would be that they were decommissioned and sold off as scrap.

I'm not sure about Germany's laws, but here in the us, auto manufacturers have to be able to Mae parts for cars that are ten years old, from what I remember.

I would like to hesitantly point out that 03 was the last year of production for the Mexibug, which has been more than ten years. However, in Mexico, the law may be different.

So, I point to the fact that very few parts vw sells as new, for the old bugs via mid America motoroworks, and those are the emblems. So, my theory is that they kept an emblem pressing machine and tool and die set for that after all of these years and nothing else.

I also say that Mexican production would be a reason, perhaps not the only one, of why vw enthusiasts are so thrifty when it comes to paying for parts or demonstrating the market for it.

I would love to hear more about this firm making küebel bodies.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.leharmilitaryvehicles.cz/

some members making repro kubelwagens bought parts from him.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140035&start=160

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5272342
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Jon's62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are an impressive amount of car shells are available in England for restoration purposes. MG's, Mini's, Triumph's, even the Gilbern Invader!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubelwagens are awesome, and it's a convertible! Do the replica bodies bolt onto a VW Beetle chassis?
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Kubelwagens are awesome, and it's a convertible! Do the replica bodies bolt onto a VW Beetle chassis?

My guess is early beetle style only.

I'm wondering if it'd be a better offroader than a stock thing?

It is intriguing, and I'm sorry if we have departed too much from the original thread.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)

Last edited by itskyle on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another car that this has happened for is the Citroen 2CV
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/body-shell-left-hand...-2257.html
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess the roll has started, so perhaps a VW beetle body shell repro is not a far away as some might predict.

Thanks for chiming in on the discussion, folks!!

Digger89L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: