Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal Switch '71 411
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal Switch '71 411 Reply with quote

The turn signal switch in my '71 411 doesn't cancel. I removed the steering wheel and found that the plastic parts that care of canceling the switch are broken. So, I'm looking for a new switch, but have not had any luck finding one for a '71. Many parts suppliers list one that fits a 72-74 bug, ghia, type 3, and type 4. They also have one that fits a '71 bug, ghia, type 3, but their ads do not mention a type 4. Does anyone know of a switch that is compatible with the '71 type 4?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure....1972 to 1974 can use the one from the late type 3....and I think the super. I am not sure about 1971. It has a slightly different steering wheel post some detail pics. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here and I was looking to Meyle-supplied parts (for 412) and they claim that at least -74 has the same column switch as super Beetle.

Meyle part number (VW part number)
100 953 0004 Column switch (111 953 513 F)

That part fits from body number 412 2000 001 onwards.

But of course I don't know if the broken part is within the switch or on the column side so this might not help at all.

Here's the relevant page on part list, see for yourself:
http://www.vw-classicparts.info/kataloge/Typ4VW411412/index-sd.html#/414
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not canceling. ..its usually in the switch....but can be actually in the steering wheel with the canceling tab broken or worn.

It can also be an adjustment issue. If the gap between the lower housing and steering wheel is too great you can have no turn signal canceling and possible problems with hirn working during turns.....or if the gap between housing and wheel is too narrow....it can actually wear or break the self canceling parts and wear out the horn ring contact.

The lower steering wheel housing that is mounted to the steel tube is mounted on a pair of vertical 8mm bolts and has a single pinch bolt that is an Allen wrench head. This allows adjustment of the housing gap and location on the column.

Somehwere. ...I have a dim memory of a spec for the gqp between lower housing and the steering wheel. It may not be in one of the type 4 books....it may be in a type 3 book. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Same problem here and I was looking to Meyle-supplied parts (for 412) and they claim that at least -74 has the same column switch as super Beetle.

Meyle part number (VW part number)
100 953 0004 Column switch (111 953 513 F)

That part fits from body number 412 2000 001 onwards.

But of course I don't know if the broken part is within the switch or on the column side so this might not help at all.

Here's the relevant page on part list, see for yourself:
http://www.vw-classicparts.info/kataloge/Typ4VW411412/index-sd.html#/414

You need to double-check if you have an early or a late 74. The switch changes at a certain VIN during the 74 model year on both the super beetle and the 412. The scanned paper catalog from Classic Parts doesn't cover 74 so you need to find a micro-fiche or an early ETKA.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelle: Good point and I forgot to mention it, blah.

Noticeable as I'm having a '74 myself. No major errors so far but something you need to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: