Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 bug 40hp issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: 61 bug 40hp issues Reply with quote

Ok so I've just put this car together and started driving it , the issue I'm having is when I push the clutch in the rpm drops and usually stalls it dose this when in neutral or in gear it dose have a new cable and Bowden tube and the end play seems to be within spec. The engine is a later fresh air 40 HP and the trans is the stock 61 tunnel style any ideas what would cause this ?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt make a lot of sense - did it do it before the cable and bowden tube? Lets think this through. Assuming you have a stock carb or something close. You do have the throttle cable loose enough so that the that gas pedal position isnt holding the throttle open slightly, correct?

here's a test - Loosen the nut hat holds the cable at the carb so there is no tension on the throtle cable. Is your idle still where you had set it or did it drop? If it dropped. set your idle adjustment correctly and tighten the cable nut so you still have a tiny bit of play in the gas pedal.

If your idle didnt change - leave the throttle cable loose and work the clutch pedal and see what happens. If nothing changes (and it shouldnt) tighten the throttle cable again and repeat. Report back what you find.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was in pieces when I got it so I don't have a before and after to go by
I will try loosening the throttle cable ( good idea never thought of this ) and see if that changes anything . It just kinda seems like something's putting a drag on the engine when I push in the clutch
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your transaxle is locked. have you made sure your wheels turn freely?

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trans is not locked up I have been driving the car
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd request for you -- check that you have a trans to chassis bonding strap and that it has good connectivity between the trans and chassis.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Odd request for you -- check that you have a trans to chassis bonding strap and that it has good connectivity between the trans and chassis.

Ya know - in the back of my mind I was thinking about this too. Not sure why the it would kill the engine though. If the clutch cable was functioning as the ground strap, it would not change the conection. But needs checked anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I got some time to look at it tonight checked the throttle cable , ground strap and engine to trans bolts all good I don't think it's electrical at all it almost seems like it's something in the clutch or trans but in the past a bad trans would do the opposit . Maybe it's a bad throughout bearing? But it didn't make any noise when engaged . Anyway I ordered a clutch kit since the clutch is chattering maybe when I pull it back apart I'll find something
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you push in the clutch - you are disengaging the clutch. If the T/O was bad - would have no bearing on the idle. What I was thinking, and never saw this, was if the throttle cable was tight and lets say you tranny mounts are toast, pushing the pedal would pull the transaxle slightly. Was also thinking that if your tubes in the tunnel were messed up - the cables could be crossed up or something funky, but I have a hard time with that being the issue. Have worked on more that one car where the clutch tube was broke loose and it never impacted RPMs.

The only other option is there is a physical interaction with the throttle and clutch cables. But same deal - if you had the throttle cable loose at the carb, wouldnt make any difference.

The thought with the ground strap was that if it was missing or real funky, then you were using the clutch cable as your ground connection to the engine. And the act of pushing the cable was reducing voltage to the ignition, but that was also a bit of a long shot - would ne much more of an issue with starting since you arent drawing much current when running.

Yeah - pulling the engine seems to be your only option at this point. Got me stumped.
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that's interested I found the problem. I had time to pull the engine and found that someone installed the throw out bearing backwards! Like an idiot I never even thought to look at it when I installed the engine . Well I guess that's what I get for assuming something is good or correct lesson learned
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's fixed!

I know you stated "I've just put this car together" but we could not know that this meant you installed the engine. It could have meant you added fenders and carpeting, for instance. If we knew this, we might have looked at the engine install issues.
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have explained better, when I got the car it was taken apart I had to weld in a heater channel bumper and body mounts and verious other bits of metal. The PO said it drove before he took it apart and I did test run the engine on the bare chassis I just never though someone would install the throwout backwards, again my fault for not looking at it. I'll find out how it dose this weekend
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont understand how that made it stall...............OH never mind....Got it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: