Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a little help PLEASE with 6 volt wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Need a little help PLEASE with 6 volt wiring Reply with quote

Here's my problem. I'm running a new harness for my 67 EURO, 6 volt 1300 Beetle

in PHOTO 1, at J2 which is the headlight relay i have no J terminal
I do have the rest and they are labeled correctly, 56,F,S,56a and 30 - (5) total, Just no 6th terminal J
in this picture the Red lead to J from the fuse box, FB Term 1, has a Red pigtail to 30 on the relay.

In the harness kit that i bought from WW (PHOTO 2) (for a 66 - 6 volt) the Red pigtail to 30 comes off the White/bk lead to
terminal 56 on the relay from terminal 56 on the lighting switch.

referring to PHOTO 1, as I don't have the breakdown of the relay's internal working, Nor do I want it
(The reason I'm asking the group)

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Which way should i supply Term 30?

White/bk with Red pigtail from 56 to 30 as i drew it in PHOTO 1 (which is also how WW does it in PHOTO 2 and is easiest - but will it work correctly)

or

Directly from the fuse box (as its only a pigtail i guess a direct feed would work too)

has anyone done this themselves?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you all for any info you can provide!!

Tommy
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wire 30 is a 'always has voltage' wire. Depending on the gauge of the wire in question, it might have to be run all the way back to the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

Wire 30 is a 'always has voltage' wire. Depending on the gauge of the wire in question, it might have to be run all the way back to the battery.

Then provided that everything is connected correctly, And I'm on my first recheck right now and there will 1 more to follow, #30 out of the light switch
should be hot all the time and that feeds The input of the fuse. so i can run the output side of the fuse straight from the that #1 fuse to #30 on the relay?

if you look closely on PHOTO 1 all of the wires are designated with a size
(i'm assuming) that ranges from 0.5 to 6.0 and then 25.0 on the battery. I assume this is in mm. But the Red pigtail is only a 0.5

Last edited by tcflame on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so i can run the output side of the fuse straight from the that #1 fuse to #30 on the relay?

Yes. It will be a fused #30. At least a 16amp fuse to protect the wires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my next bit of research. from what i can tell the first and last fuse are red and all in between are white. Now, I know that sounds pretty stupid.

"Hey, What size fuse does that take"

Me: "A White one"

Lol, What a putz!!!!
I'll do my research, No worries, lol!!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all in between are white

Fuses are sized to protect the wires. If the wires are small..8amp..large wires 16amp. When you look at the fuses the ones that are thin in the 'middle' of the fuse are 8amp. Fat 'middles' are 16amp. Colors change. Some have the amps size raised in the plastic on the back side of them.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note... the wiring of USA and Euro relays are different. In many European countries, you light up the high beams whenever you hold down the beam button, and is used as a passing signal. This occurs whether the lights are switched on or not.

In the US, this was skipped and the button does nothing unless the headlights are on.

Check this diagram:
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/headrelay.pdf

and this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341307

The part number is for a 12V system. A comparable 6V relay should be used if your car is still 6V. The function of the jumper is the same regardless of voltage.

Wire terminal 30 on the relay to terminal 30 on the headlamp switch (or to another UNswitched +12V point with enough current capacity to light both left and right bulbs). Do this instead of jumpering to 56 on the relay, and you can press the turn signal button and have the high beams flash on as long as you hold down the button... with the lights switched off. This lets you alert someone you wish to pass. Euro models are wired this way from the factory.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Check this diagram:
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/headrelay.pdf

and this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341307

It is still running the 6 volt system. I'm not looking to change to 12 volts, Thats not how she was built. The grounds were so poor prior to dismantling it had brake lights and 1 dim headlight and that was about it. There was no jumper shown on any of the line drawings that I have but I do like that and will probably incorporate it!

Thanks!
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Gents, This is how it will be run for now UNTIL i make the jumper for the "Flash to Pass" Modification

I truly appreciate y'all taking time to help me out.

Thanks

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: