Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine in 912 - exhaust question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Type 4 engine in 912 - exhaust question Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm looking at a 68 912 that someone I know is selling. It's fairly complete, fairly dry and solid. However. . Someone put in a type 4, which runs well but it still has no exhaust. It's a 1.8, I believe from a 914. Which I don't have a problem with for now.

But wondering if it's possible or easy to put an exhaust with heat exchangers in this thing? I'm sure the exhaust is no big deal (912e bursch?) But how to go about with heater boxes? From a bus ? 412? Lots of modifications? I'm trying to figure out how feasible this is. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1976 912 used the type 4 motor so you should be able to source from it.
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that reply is technically accurate, your gonna need a serious dose of luck finding the HE's off of a 912e. Think hens teeth.
Since so few of the cars were made (1yr only model), Those particular boxes are either impossible to find or astronomically expensive.
better luck might be had with 411 boxes or early vanagon.
The 411 bozes are quite small since they were just a pre warming system as the 411 was equipped with a gas heater. I was planning on going vanagon for my 912e build but did an about face and created my own thermal reactor replacements & modded some 911 boxes instead
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: