Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 bug will not run on gas or ethier
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alwaysbehind09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: 61 bug will not run on gas or ethier Reply with quote

Pulled a VW bug out of the woods the other day. It needed a starter so picked one up, the motor it's turning over and I have fire at the spark plugs on at least two ( only pulled two out) it will not run on gas or even hit on ethier. What direction should I go from here? Rebuild ? Or is there just something I'm missing?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always start with a tune up.

gap the valves at .006 inches. While your down there see if the valves even move or are all stuck open.

I would probably do a compression test next, not part of the normal tune up.

Check the points gap and timing. Having sparks does hint that the point and coil are working but the points should be gapped at .016 inches or about 50% dwell.

Put a timing light on it. 5 BTDC for now.

You are left with a carburetor. Check the fuel level in the float tank, s/b 20mm below the top.
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have compression; ether will burn just from compression. You don't need an ignition source to light it off. So do a compression test and or leakdown test and go from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: