Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time rail
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigdaddychopshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BIT OF PROGRESS THIS WEEKEND. WHOOHOO!

Got the seats in, (took way too long) shocks on (had to fab new rear upper mounts), and did a little work with some paint. Still have to get harness mounts in, but getting very close to paint time. The original plan called for purple, but it has proven difficult to find a color I like and the price has been crazy. So basic black with Green highlights (trying not to go overboard).

Everything takes longer than you figure, and such is the case this weekend. Oh well, the kids love helping, and I love for them to help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bigdaddychopshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other biggie (that really shouldn't have been) was getting the lighting all sorted out. The Headlights (shown) I believe to EMPI buckets, so I got the H4 conversions off Amazon, and the rail lights are just run of the LED trailer lights. Also have a couple floods to mount high that were on the car when I got it. Pretty basic stuff, but still all has to be there.

This is going to be mainly a "street- going" rail. In the great Hoosier state, there isn't any inspections. However, I am curious, Thinking of doing a windshield (though not required) how is Plexi to see thru long term?
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain much where you're at? If so wipers will make a plexi windshield just about useless in short order. Funny thing is, the quote I got for a piece of 1/4" laminated safety glass wasn't much more than the quote I got for a similar sized piece of plexi. It was about $80 for the safety glass and about $65 for the plexi (around here anyway). The first time I would have to replace the plexi due to reduced visibility from wiper scratches and bug and rock pock marks that $15 savings would get tossed right out the window. <- Bad pun, I know. Laughing
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
2RL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2
Safety glass is a much better choice over plexiglass. That stuff is alright for some things, but a windshield isn't really one of them. It scratches way too easily and is a serious dust magnet, not to mention if it ever shatters it does so in nasty sharp shards unlike safety glass....just food for thought there.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh60ce wrote:
X2
Safety glass is a much better choice over plexiglass. That stuff is alright for some things, but a windshield isn't really one of them. It scratches way too easily and is a serious dust magnet, not to mention if it ever shatters it does so in nasty sharp shards unlike safety glass....just food for thought there.

I'm curious how you would mount safety glass to the rail without a windshield frame. Can you have it drilled for screw holes and will it shatter if the rail flexes or lands hard?
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious how you would mount safety glass to the rail without a windshield frame. Can you have it drilled for screw holes and will it shatter if the rail flexes or lands hard?

You can't. But its not hard to make a windshield frame.

I foolishly blew $40 on a plexiglass windshield and even without wipers it got so scratched within two weeks that I took it off.

And without wipers is became useless almost immediately on even slightly damp roads and had to be folded back. It was a total waste and right now I am researching where to get a custom safety glass one made and reconfiguring my dash to work house a wiper motor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
Bigdaddychopshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana- rain, yeah....

But at least in my mind, I will treat this about like the bike, use it when it is nice. I know plexi scratches easy, and I plan on wearing eye protection (just like on the bike, which also has a windshield-streetglide) all the time. I have had a couple T-buckets, and the windshields are for looks only. Kinda figured its the same here.

Probably go without at least to start. I want to get this going, the kids are getting very anxious. I am thinking it maybe fun with a bit of snow, all bundled up too, who knows.

The other issue with a windshield is then I HAVE to have a wiper according to law (neither of the buckets did, but i got lucky).

Safety or laminated glass (the better choice for a windshield) would also dictate a frame system, and then the ball is really rolling twards complexity. I like simple- K.I.S.S.

I have thought about doing body panels, I LOVE the way they look, but that would be after its on the road. That is likely the point I would do glass, and make it more of a 3 season vehicle.

This will be the first project I have finished in a few years. I usually buy them, get them to the point I know I can make money, and flip them. It is amazing how many folks think they can do the wrap up, and in reality, that is the majority of the work. My last ones have been a 68 galaxie (all original grandpa fresh 43K mile survivor), a 48 F-1 on 2 ton truck axles with a Cummins 5.9 and 5 speed, and a Jeep CJ5 done ratrod with a sbc lowered in the weeds, a buel lightening and a rigid chopper (finished both those)

The bottom line is, I get BORED if the project drags, so I need to keep a head of steam.
Bigdaddychopshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, this has all been in the last 2 years (My name is Big Daddy and I have a car addiction)!)

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest mounting solution would be to use some true windshield adhesive and "glue" the safety glass directly to your frame. The glass would have to be held firmly in place until the glue sets. However when it's dry, it's not coming off without either using a removal tool or breaking it to get it out. The adhesive I picked up was about $10 for a tube that fits a standard size caulking gun. Another option is to use a gasket designed to hold a windshield in a tube frame. I'm going to use a combination of both of those methods on my rail once I get my glass. The WS gasket I got from Acme for about $36 for a 12' long piece IIRC. I can't find the link for the gasket at Acme's website at the moment, but I'll post up the part number for the gasket later today when I get back out to the shop.

EDIT: I found the link to the thread that has the info on the gasket, as well as some good tips on how to install it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627817&start=0

EDIT (again): Looks like the link in that thread isn't working for some reason. The Acme part # is 14827 and the price is $36.95 according to the pic on the second page of the thread in the link. Just try giving them a call during business hours. They don't take credit/debit cards or PayPal over the internet so you'll have to call in your order for it anyway. Their phone # is (717)-774-9450 and they're located in New Cumberland PA.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
2RL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several ways to go about mounting a windshield, each with varying degrees of difficulty. I've seen (but never used) the rubber gasket method mentioned here, it looks really nice, but I don't know how secure it really is since I have no experience with it.

For a glue in windshield you'll want to make a frame "lip" on the inner perimeter of the tubing for the glass to rest against and be glued to. 1/2 flat steel stock works great for is . I don't think you really have to worry about making it go around corners (unless you really want to) since once its glued in its not going to go anywhere. You could always make a separate frame so the windshield can be removed (that's what I did) but its a lot of extra work, and may not be what you're after. There's a few examples of each method on here.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a buddy with at least 10 projects and we give him a hard time about his ADD- automotive deficit disorder.
Bigdaddychopshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I have a buddy with at least 10 projects and we give him a hard time about his ADD- automotive deficit disorder.

I usually only go one at a time, but always planning for the next. I wish I had the funding to do a couple at at time, might avoid burnout.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: