Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank.. how about a update on your jetting . is every thing ok ? just have not herd from you on the post spencerfvee
Frank Bassman wrote:
Ok, well I know it is a little unusual to be building single port motors nowadays, but I have done research on some of the few people in these forums that have built them and I have concluded that based on my driving style, traffic conditions, and curiosity I want to build a 1600 single port with some twists... I wanted to run my ideas past you guys to see if what I am expecting out of this build is in touch to what it will actually deliver!

I just want to say one thing... I want to use as many stock style parts as possible as far as ignition and carburetion goes, which is why perhaps the combination I am about to describe will seem unusual. I'd just like to hear from those in the know if it will behave as well as I predict it might! I do NOT at this time have money for nice dual carbs, but they may be a possibility in the future!

My goal is to maximize fuel consumption efficiency and make strong low end torque. (Reason for going single port to begin with.) Not looking for a race motor or anything like that. It must look as stock-ish and be able to be worked on in as stock-like manner as possible! I will be cruising this thing at 70 to 75 mph doing between 3200 to 3500 rpm, which is a safe range I would say, and I think would be the cruising sweet spot for this combo.

So, here it goes:

ENGINE INTERNALS

85.5 P&C kit
69 mm crank from CB performance. (toying with 74mm idea, same price)
[Note, this crank is balanced]
New stock CB lifters
CB 2280 "Cheater Cam" (Supposed to be good from idle to about 4k RPM, this engine won't see past 4000 rpm in daily use.)
CB UNITECH Rods (New)
CB Maxi 2 oil pump (26 mm)
Stock VW 1.1:1 rockers (May put them on Empi solid shafts, may not, I haven't decided yet.)

INTAKE

Here is where it gets interesting for me... I am looking at the intake for single ports, and it looks PUNY, and restrictive even for the SP heads to breathe at this displacement. (Maybe why VW went to dual port?) Plus, I do have an excellent 30 pict 2, but with a 24 mm throat size it seems counter productive for what I am trying to accomplish. I have a solex brosol 30/31 pict which may work. BUT, I had a more interesting idea in mind.

Empi single port end castings
VW dual port center section WITH heat risers. (Very important.)
34 Pict 3 perched on top jetted accordingly.

( have a whole parade of them in my stash to choose from, one which I may be inclined to try boring out the venturi on...)

EXHAUST

Empi 1 3/8 header with a glasspack or quietpack or whatever.
(I already have the header and glasspack)

Cooling

VW doghouse shroud with cooler.
Case is a Brazil replacement case
WILL run the thermostat bellows and flaps.
[Note to self: must drill case, tap for stud, and install thermostat stud.]

IGNITION

043 SVDA rebuilt distributor with points
Bosch Blue coil
Use a Ford TFI ignition module. (Points triggered. Running it now with great success on my current engine.)

FUEL DELIVERY

34 Pict 3.

My whole reasoning on this intake setup is the following:

As far as I can gather and have seen, single ports really have a NICE low end grunt in themselves. This is apparently due to the high velocity of the intake charge through that one single opening at the heads.

But the reason I think they "choke up" in stock form is because the limiting factor, provided the exhaust is up the the challenge, ends up being the puny intake manifold and stock carb. (They flow fine for smaller displacement and and lower rpm, but by 3500 rpm they're losing efficiency.)

Dual ports flow more up higher, between 3500 and 4000 rpm, but why is that? Is it the valves? They're the same as single port. Is it the internal head design? Maybe some. But to me it looks like it is the long, thin tube of an intake on top of everything that robs the most breathing capability. Am I missing something more obvious than that?

If I am on the right track, then my next statement would be that putting the massaged empi end castings on the heads (which will be lightly massaged too by the way) and and the considerably larger sizedual port center section with a 34 pict 3 would help this thing breathe very well for what it is that I am trying to do with it!

The thing is, will this engine provide the right vacuum signal for the 34 pict running the 043 SVDA?

I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't, seeing that the internals are the same as a dual port, only the heads are single port? What sez you fellas?

Worst case scenario I could always plop the 30/31 pict on there and throw a 205T vacuum only dizzy on there with an adapter and call it good or change the manifold, whatever.

So, what thinks the jury? Thanks to all who contribute to this thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Hey Spencer!

USPS misplaced my package it seems, I called them to see what's going on and they are opening up an "investigation"...

So I haven't received the jets though I should have gotten them on Monday. I will contact the seller if I see the mail service isn't getting anything done... maybe they can go back and forth and perhaps I can get the jets I paid for. These situations suck because I know the seller sent the jets but now it is up to the mail service to decide if they want to own up to their screw up or not!

So everything is on hold. It's too damn bad, I really want to go up on the mains already!

Ironic, I ordered spark plugs after ordering the jets and I already received THOSE!

On the other hand, the carbs have been sent out to Tim and he should get them this weekend. I am having one rebuilt fully and another just rebushed, but he is looking at both to see which is better and if they can be rebuilt. I have a good feeling both will be ok but I'll let Tim decide!

So that's pretty much where I stand. Sometime next week I will change the oil for the third time just for peace of mind and maybe, just maybe, I'll have the jets too and I'll be able to swap em.

By the way, I have a question regarding the fast idle cams on different 34 picts... There are differently sized steps from carb to carb... what is the reason for this? I ask because I have both. I will post a picture of both when I can.

-Frank
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank when I worked at a vw dealer ship .the only thing I can think of why they did different idle cams and I am not 100% sure is they ran very lean motors in the 1970s for the EPA and the motors needed a longer warm up time so on a cold day they they would not stall just my two cents on that lol frank PM me your address. I have most of the jets you need you can have them for free . I would be happy to send them to you if you want them let me know what jets you need spencerfvee the motors
Frank Bassman wrote:
Hey Spencer!

USPS misplaced my package it seems, I called them to see what's going on and they are opening up an "investigation"...

So I haven't received the jets though I should have gotten them on Monday. I will contact the seller if I see the mail service isn't getting anything done... maybe they can go back and forth and perhaps I can get the jets I paid for. These situations suck because I know the seller sent the jets but now it is up to the mail service to decide if they want to own up to their screw up or not!

So everything is on hold. It's too damn bad, I really want to go up on the mains already!

Ironic, I ordered spark plugs after ordering the jets and I already received THOSE!

On the other hand, the carbs have been sent out to Tim and he should get them this weekend. I am having one rebuilt fully and another just rebushed, but he is looking at both to see which is better and if they can be rebuilt. I have a good feeling both will be ok but I'll let Tim decide!

So that's pretty much where I stand. Sometime next week I will change the oil for the third time just for peace of mind and maybe, just maybe, I'll have the jets too and I'll be able to swap em.

By the way, I have a question regarding the fast idle cams on different 34 picts... There are differently sized steps from carb to carb... what is the reason for this? I ask because I have both. I will post a picture of both when I can.

-Frank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank glad you got the jets I will be sending more jets after thanks giving . I just tok off the stock gutted muffler and put on a vw formula vee header that vw dealers sold in 1970 to 1971 as a formula vee header I just got done restoring it . wow did it wake my motor up . I think I might need a 137 main jet . cant wait to hear how your motor is running . heres a picture of my new vintage header it has a great sound to it . spencerfvee
Frank Bassman wrote:
I have some pictures to dig up in my old computer... For now I would like to share something I have done. I have tons of crap 34 picts and I decided to take one of them and sacrifice it for a higher purpose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now I need to find someone who can turn it! Any ideas?
I figure it shouldnt cost much since it is already out... But ya never know.

Here are some old pictures of my car... But Ill post some current ones soon so as to display what four years of daily driving with a crappy previous owner-done-it-himself paint job looks like now!

Here are old pics, the new ones are to come.

Eventually it will be a delta green beetle!

As far as the jetting I just ordered a 132 and a 135 main from aircooled.net... I have a 140 in my stash wich I bought recently solely for the eventual venturri experiment! I have a bunch of idle jet sizes so I figured if I did it myself It wouldnt cost me much. I have read 28 mm is the upper limit to facilitate tuning so I will be conservative and bore it to 27 or 27.5mm and see what happens.

For the record I just want to clarify that I will try the two jets I bought on a stock carb with no venturri modifications done to it and then try the bored out carb after I settle the tune on the stock one!

Spencer thats a great looking bug man, I really dig the decals and the color. The wheels are nice too and I especially appreciate the stock stance it has. I think it looks perfect.

-Frank
[im
g][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img]
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Hey those exhausts look to be in really good shape! They definitely look different than the current glasspacks we can buy!
(And much nicer.)

Yea you're probably going to need some richening up since your engine will now be able to flow some more.

Tomorrow in the daylight I will install and try the 132 main jet on the carb. I'm thinking that I may end up a bit higher than that though... I mean you are at 135 with your 1600 and you've got big valves and higher compression than me, and a C-25 as well. I'm sure that has something to do with it wanting the larger jets right?

I have a feeling I'm going to end up at 135 with the stock carb and closer to 140 with the modified one.
I guess we will see after some experimentation!

By the way, USPS found my package, so I'm waiting on it as well! That means I will get the 135 in the mail soon.

On another note, there's something I'd like to further beat, for the sake of full comprehension. Perhaps it will be useful to someone building a similar project. Brick wall

About the choke plate:

Alstrup suggested that a small hole placed on the top part of the choke flap would help the engine breathe better when cold. (Thanks Alstrup!)

I just want to make sure my train of thought is right:

When the choke is closed the carb is "forced" to suck more fuel from it's circuits than when the choke is open, in addition to sucking less air because of the physical restriction imposed by the choke plate. This is what is needed to keep a cold engine running. (Since colder engines want more fuel)

Fine.
Now: Assuming two identical engines except for displacement...

Engine 1, a 1600, sucks less through a stock carb than a larger displacement like mine. (1700)

Therefore, when the 1600 is running on the choke, it sucks a certain amount of fuel and air. This stock carb is designed for the needs of the 1600.

When the 1700 is running, (with the same carb as above, for the 1600) it sucks a higher amount of fuel and air due to its higher vacuum pull through the carb. Correct?
But when it is on the choke, that higher vacuum from the larger displacement will instead force the carb to pull more fuel through the circuits and into the engine than the 1600 would with the choke closed, am I right?

And this extra fuel suction is why a larger engine with the stock carb could potentially "cough with too much fuel" on startup with the choke closed, am I correct?

The small hole to be drilled on the choke plate as suggested earlier is meant to reduce the total suction through the carb and bring it to a level where the engine won't choke on that extra gas, is this correct?

-Frank
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Ok so today I put in the 132 main jet with a 70 air correction
noticed an increase in power, and I think I will put in the 135 main jet because I pulled a plug today after a good run and this is how the plugs looked...

This is the same plug but all of them looked the same. Just focusing on one.

Looks to me like lean still and 135 in the main would be a good idea right?

Also Ive read somewhere that the black ring on the initial threads is a way to roughly gauge the idle mixture. If that is the case, does it look ok?

Spencer do you have any pictures of your plugs for reference?

-Frank
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

are you using a gas additive? How old are those plugs?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank yes the headers are well made they were made in the usa . I want to try the hole in the chock plate too. just did not have time to do it with thanks giving this week . on the workings of the choke ... CR has a lot to do with how much air is being sucked to the motor from the carb ... I all way run 9:1 CR ... whats your CR? .. I all way run a stock air cleaner for pre heat and the 4" stack it has built into it with out the stack the motor falls on its ass mid to upper RPMS it stops the fuel stand off .at high RPM spencerfvee ..quote="Frank Bassman"]Hey those exhausts look to be in really good shape! They definitely look different than the current glasspacks we can buy!
(And much nicer.)

Yea you're probably going to need some richening up since your engine will now be able to flow some more.

Tomorrow in the daylight I will install and try the 132 main jet on the carb. I'm thinking that I may end up a bit higher than that though... I mean you are at 135 with your 1600 and you've got big valves and higher compression than me, and a C-25 as well. I'm sure that has something to do with it wanting the larger jets right?

I have a feeling I'm going to end up at 135 with the stock carb and closer to 140 with the modified one.
I guess we will see after some experimentation!

By the way, USPS found my package, so I'm waiting on it as well! That means I will get the 135 in the mail soon.

On another note, there's something I'd like to further beat, for the sake of full comprehension. Perhaps it will be useful to someone building a similar project. Brick wall

About the choke plate:

Alstrup suggested that a small hole placed on the top part of the choke flap would help the engine breathe better when cold. (Thanks Alstrup!)

I just want to make sure my train of thought is right:

When the choke is closed the carb is "forced" to suck more fuel from it's circuits than when the choke is open, in addition to sucking less air because of the physical restriction imposed by the choke plate. This is what is needed to keep a cold engine running. (Since colder engines want more fuel)

Fine.
Now: Assuming two identical engines except for displacement...

Engine 1, a 1600, sucks less through a stock carb than a larger displacement like mine. (1700)

Therefore, when the 1600 is running on the choke, it sucks a certain amount of fuel and air. This stock carb is designed for the needs of the 1600.

When the 1700 is running, (with the same carb as above, for the 1600) it sucks a higher amount of fuel and air due to its higher vacuum pull through the carb. Correct?
But when it is on the choke, that higher vacuum from the larger displacement will instead force the carb to pull more fuel through the circuits and into the engine than the 1600 would with the choke closed, am I right?

And this extra fuel suction is why a larger engine with the stock carb could potentially "cough with too much fuel" on startup with the choke closed, am I correct?

The small hole to be drilled on the choke plate as suggested earlier is meant to reduce the total suction through the carb and bring it to a level where the engine won't choke on that extra gas, is this correct?

-Frank[/quote]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

frank put the 137 main jet in it loks like your still running lean . I made use some air jets at the shop today .a 80 a 85 a 90 and a 95 air jet we have jet reamers spencerfvee...
Frank Bassman wrote:
Ok so today I put in the 132 main jet with a 70 air correction
noticed an increase in power, and I think I will put in the 135 main jet because I pulled a plug today after a good run and this is how the plugs looked...

This is the same plug but all of them looked the same. Just focusing on one.

Looks to me like lean still and 135 in the main would be a good idea right?

Also Ive read somewhere that the black ring on the initial threads is a way to roughly gauge the idle mixture. If that is the case, does it look ok?

Spencer do you have any pictures of your plugs for reference?

-Frank
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

You need to do a cutaway to check the jetting via plug color.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

and new plugs... do a heat range check too.
I bought a set of bugpoop superflows a while back and usps lost most of them.....they were insured.....the usps site didnt work, the paper mail got lost, the mail man says they never pay claims. and he was right they stole my money and my parts. it's funny how that lost the mail in claim and never got the email claim but sent me a notice denying the claim that they never got Shocked effing thieves. I did however get a ripped wide open box and the berg valve cover addaptors. they were the small port street head super flow, ss1 I think. or sfs1. good luck getting your stuff. your close on tune,just a little richer if it were me.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Fellas,

No additive in fuel. I run 91 octane always though I do think I may be able to get away with 89 (have not tried it yet)

Does it look like I run an additive john? Weird.

Funny you should ask about plug age- these have about 25k miles on them. I have new ones that I will install soon. (Same ones, ngk bp6hs)

I actually received the jets I originally ordered in the mail today... So I will go up to 135 on the main soon. I also think I am going to install that stepped cam for the choke with the large first step. (Closes the choke less per step while maintaining rpm higher, I really should take a picture of it soon perhaps tomorrow)

So this means that I can sacrifice one of the old plugs for the sake of science, and can open it up to see how it is way down in the ceramic part.

So before the 137 I'll try the 135.

Updates to come?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

mark that Fu%king sucks . that's why I like fed x and ups yea they cost more to ship but I all ways get my parts . mark have a nice thanks giving . spencerfvee
mark tucker wrote:
and new plugs... do a heat range check too.
I bought a set of bugpoop superflows a while back and usps lost most of them.....they were insured.....the usps site didnt work, the paper mail got lost, the mail man says they never pay claims. and he was right they stole my money and my parts. it's funny how that lost the mail in claim and never got the email claim but sent me a notice denying the claim that they never got Shocked effing thieves. I did however get a ripped wide open box and the berg valve cover addaptors. they were the small port street head super flow, ss1 I think. or sfs1. good luck getting your stuff. your close on tune,just a little richer if it were me.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Hey mark you most have posted shortly after I did, I didn't even see your post.

That is one horrendous story. Can't believe they didn't own up to the loss. Ridiculous. The only other time I have had a shipping issue was with Cip1, the package was lost in transit by UPS. They ended up sending me the parts again, but if it would have been up to the shipping company I'd have never seen the parts again. It's too bad that one part I ordered was out of stock by the second time around... a oil cooler "hoover bit" that they had in stock. I remember because It was around the time when they started selling them again. (Amazing that they came back to the market huh?)

Anyway, do they look like the heat range needs to be altered? I have a set of BP7HS here as well, I just didn't put them on because I read that they belong mostly on way higher compression or turbo applications... hence why my 1200 mile new motor has 25,000 mile old plugs from my first motor.

I'll read up on heat ranges and see what's going on, if anything. Tomorrow I will go up on the main and change that stepped cam for the choke though.

Also Spencer, I just caught when you mentioned you made some air jets, sweet I'm sure we'll use them at some point.

On another completely unrelated note, I've got a question regarding needle valves on the stock Solexes and I guess in general... what is the consensus on the type that have the ball bearing at the end of the "needle" and the ones that don't? Seems to me like there is less of a leak point in the ones that don't vs the ones that do, but is one really better than the other?

I was looking at some spare carbs I have around and just got to thinking is all... (dangerous thing to do around these parts Wink )

-Frank
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Ok guys so before my drive to Turkey Run in Daytona here is a quick update.

Changed spark plugs. Noticed a small increase in smoothness. (Expected)

New plugs are nice are they not?

Also I did a couple of hard runs and shut off the car before it could idle. Here are the plugs:

First two are with132 main...

Second two are with 135 main!

Looks lean still huh?

-Frank

And by the way happy eat like a turkey day to all!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Those are not lean.

You need to look at the base ring, at the BASE OF THE PORCELAIN.

http://jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_spark_plugs.htm

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank how much power did you feal with the 135 main jet ? spencerfvee
Frank Bassman wrote:

Also I did a couple of hard runs and shut off the car before it could idle. Here are the plugs:

Looks lean still huh?

-Frank

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank. well frank I am like you all ways trying to improve things on my motor for more power lol. ok heres what I did. I like a stock air air cleaner for the pre heated air for the manifold . what I don't like is the oil bath that's on a stock air cleaner . so I cut the horse hair filter off of the top cover .what I job that was .I then found a used K&N air filter . that would work with my stock 1967 air cleaner . then cut the out oil bathfull out of the bottom of the air cleaner . next I opened up the air intakes on both sides of the air cleaner. I then cut off the out side . small air intake openings . for more air for the carb. on the inside of the air cleaner. I cut open the lip on both sides of the air cleaner .next I cut open the lip on the air cleaner stack . next I cut a foam rug up ( if you have a wife never tell her you cut one of her rugs up for a car part lol) for the bottom of the air cleaner. it took 3 parts of the rug .so the K&N air filter would seal . and it worked hopefully it will flow more air to the carb .and give me more top end power . I plan to put side scoops on the out side of the bug and ram air to the air cleaner it worked well on my 1965 GTO . lol... its night time right now . I ate to much food for thanks giving . I am, paying for it now . it was 63degs out today. that's super for ohio this time of the year . its going to rain. so I cant test it frank ..I will get back to you on how it works . I want to cut a 34pict carb for 36mm throttle plate .and weld up a CB after market stock alum. manifold .and port it for more flow this winter and open the venture up to a 28mm . I realy like a Mallory dizy. so I will try one . setting it up for 14degs intal. all in by 32 degs. total.. EVERY ONE. HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT THANKS GIVING. REMMBER IN JOY YOUR FRIENDS and make sure you take home left overs lol spencerfvee
Frank Bassman wrote:

Looks lean still huh?

-Frank

[im
g][/img][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img][i
ges.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1432289.jpg[/img]mg][/img][im
g][/img]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank well I got a lot of testing in today . the air cleaner mods I did realy helped the motor breath much better it goes to 5,000 rpm much faster . I rely like a Mallory dizy .so I put in a Mallory dual point dizy set up for 14 degs intal all in by 34 degs total what a big differnts over the stock auto stick dizy with 009 guts . I am very happy on the free way I can go from 70 mph to 86 mph like right now when I pass a car .I still had more pedal to go it will do 90mph or better that's fast enough for me . I still think I need a 137 main jet . the formula headers are also helping the power out put . I realy like the headers it woke the motor up a lot today I just want to drive my bug today we are having a heat wave today its 45 degs out here in ohio last year it was 12" of snow and in the teens ..spencerfvee[im
g][/img][im
g][/img]
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Ok I am back from Turkey Run! What a large show I must say... I mean I don't know how my legs are still attached. I may have died if I didn't have the four beers I had, seriously it was a workout.

I saw what you did to that air cleaner... and I have an itch now and I have to do it as well. But I won't do it to mine, I'll see where I can source a cheap air cleaner and modify it. (I Have a 68 only and don't want to screw that one up.)

Man, when I went to the VW show a couple of weeks ago I could have bought an aircleaner for 10 bucks but I didn't because I am a true dumbass... oh well.

Seems like a nice modification to be done! If I can get another 68 only cleaner I can run it without cutting the inlets because they have a large opening for the preheated air... which is surely big enough for breathing purposes. ( I don't run the pre-heat so it would work for me)

What model K&N filter did you use? Seals up perfectly with the rug? I know someone did this mod to a Ghia filter but this is totally doable to the bug too!

As far as the jetting, I think 135 is where my motor likes the jetting best, but I will make use of the link that John posted here and proceed to saw off the threads in my old plug set to confirm how it is running. I haven't even put 50 miles on the new plugs since I put them in so I think they are still coloring up... but the old plugs can certainly be read. As soon as I saw em I'll post pictures. (No promises for soon... I'm in finals week in school and completely saturated with classwork and exams...)

The reason I want to try the cleaner mod is because I do feel like perhaps the motor wants to breathe more at high rpm, and the cleaner is being restrictive. It may be a dirty heap of coconut fivers, but I cleaned them about a year ago. Maybe I should clean them again? (I soaked them with multiple washes of gas, drained them until gas came out clear, then hot water, dried with a hair dryer, and finally flooded them with kerosene, drained and let dry before installing back on.)

In other news, Tim is working on the carbs, so I should have them back in not too long. Nice guy he is, truly.

Spencer, how have your plugs been looking with the 135 main? I'd think 135 may be right around where your motor wants to be, maybe even a bit on the rich side, but maybe your cam and valve combo say otherwise?

Nice to hear you're having fun with the motor!

More to come

-Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: