Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1994 Toyota Pickup DLX 4x4 VW tdi build project
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: 1994 Toyota Pickup DLX 4x4 VW tdi build project Reply with quote

I picked up a a 1994 Toyota Pickup that has a shot motor... head gasket cracked on it. I will be ripping out the motor and putting a VW Jetta TDI 1.9 L ALH motor into it. I am planning to do it as my hobby car to tinker on. I'm getting it for a really good price..

the immediate plan is first to rip out the old motor... and junk it for scrap....or if any one has interest to buy it as is for parts..

then

Replace

Shocks (better shocks and suspension components), upgraded brakes,new fuel lines, drop the fuel tank and clean out any gasoline residue in the tank, rip out the stock gas filler neck and find off ebay a diesel fuel filler neck with the wider diesel truck pump neck and get a diesel fuel cap for inside the fuel door... Mount the Diesel fuel filler neck in place of the stock one.

leave tank aside until I install the engine sometime next spring.....

Replace all brake lines with steel cables, replace two rusted fender panels with 2 new primered body panels (that will be panted at a later stage once the project is finished)

Replace all Wheel bearings, bushings, control arms, etc....

Install a stage 3 clutch kit

Other things, i am still researching, but I am also going to be adding a VW specific OBD port under the dash to hook up to the ECU computer so I can pull engine codes in the future and so I can tune the engine with the aftermarket MALONE tuning that is out there for the VW engines.

Next spring, after i get my taxes back, i will be looking for an insurance write-off wrecked salvage VW JETTA TDI 1997-2005 year model with the VE-Injection TDI engine. (Ahu,ALH or maybe BEW engine code)
I will use that salvage car wreck to pull wire harnesses, fuel pumps, engine, turbo (to resell),and any other parts I will need from that car to go into this project. I will also take the Jettas fuel tank with and use that as an aux tank in the truck. So I will have to get additional fuel pumps to put in both this tank and the t100's tank., I will set up one tank as a master and the other as an aux. tank that I can switch between.

Might also go the route of getting a crate engine from Dutch Auto Parts guy name Frans.

Once I get all the parts and goodies i need out of the wrecked jetta, i'll haul it off to get scrap money for it (with a relatives truck)

I will then get the engine ready for install and put a stage 2 turbo on it, (a larger VW specific turbo) a Garret VNT 17/22.. the stock turbo is a bit smaller. I will then have the engine tuned to either a Stage 4 or stage 5 tune. I will also install better injectors and a 3 BAR Map sensor.

planning to shoot for 170 hp

also, as i am an amsoil dealer.. I will be putting nothing but amsoil in the truck for fluids, Engine oil, severe gear oils, transfer case oils, clutch fluid, brake fluid... and coolant...

has 216,000 miles... dead engine with cracked head...he wants 350..but willing to negotiate.. I'm going to try for 200 cuz.. 1. I got to rent a uhaul trailer and borrow my gf's brother in laws truck and pull it about 40 miles to a 100 miles depending on where I'm going to leave it sit until I get some parts together and start working on it... (relatives letting me keep there and work on it cuz I can't work on stuff at my apartment) <--I might be moving soon so then I'l have a garage to work on it.

It's been a idea in my head for a while now...just hoping the pieces fall into place to make this happen

I will be ripping the rusty pickup bed off the truck and constructing a Wood flatbed with fold down sides and fold down tailgate. Will put trailer lights on the rear.

Also I will replace the stock filler neck with a wider truck diesel pump filler neck out of a gmc diesel pickup.

I am going to put in a Volvo 740 Intercooler,radiator and cooling fan.. because The radiator has a built in temp sensor to control the fan, simplifies the install because you only have to hook up a power and a ground and not have to deal with the Toyota or VW fan circuit.

Planning to do a 2.5 or 3 inch downpipe.. to 3 inch tdi specific diesel highflow cat, then short section of 3 inch pipe.. then a 3'' to 4'' restrictor and then 4 inch straight pipe straight back from there... or see about how it comes out under the truck where I have to route the piping.... might need to have it route around stuff.. Probably will put exhaust wrap around it, but that's just a thought

Also, I am going to rip out the OEM carpet (its ratty) and replace it with new carpet that closely matches the carpet color of my 2012 Passat TDI...

Also I got a Mcgill Wait to Start Dash Light that I will wire up to the Glow Plug Relay to act as my Start Light.

I also am getting new driver and pass side front fenders to replace the rusty ones. Will then have those repainted. I am going to put a Warn offroad Rock crawler front bumper on it. and then a Universial standard rear bumper.

Also I am going to mount a class V 7500 gross trailer weight/800 lb max tounge weight tow draw bar in place of the stock class 3 drawbar.

Going to undercoat the bottom of the truck with truck bed liner or underbody coating after I sandblast the surface rust. The frame is in great shape, just the bed is crummy..

Got some other things in store as well in the project, but those will be done at a later date.

Also the lower half of the doors I also will paint a layer of underbody to cover up the rust area and to stop it from rusting on the door

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! I thought vw's had rust!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1994 Toyota Pickup DLX 4x4 VW tdi build project Reply with quote

I don't think these Toyota photos will last on the Samba, but VW did sell Toyota trucks in England that were the same,
but had VW badges, grill, and tailgate.
It would be cool to fit them to your truck once the conversion is done
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1994 Toyota Pickup DLX 4x4 VW tdi build project Reply with quote

I know that very well.. THats what im planning to do.. I also have a source available to me in germany to get a vw taro pickup steering wheel. It looks essentially the same, but with a VW Logo. Will get that as well.

ach60 wrote:

I don't think these Toyota photos will last on the Samba, but VW did sell Toyota trucks in England that were the same,
but had VW badges, grill, and tailgate.
It would be cool to fit them to your truck once the conversion is done
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once im done restoring it, you wont be able to tell. Smile the box is going buh bye and a flatbed is going in its place.

enjoyther1de wrote:
Holy crap! I thought vw's had rust!
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '90 Toyota. Great truck. As rusty as the body is, go over the frame with a fine tooth comb: They're fully boxed and like to rot from the inside out. Otherwise, they're tanks. IIRC there are conversion kits for 22RE trucks, not so much for the V6 due to using a different engine mounting points and transmission.

Glad you're upping the cooling capacity, I've read about a few conversions that people gave up on because it ran too hot: low power+turbo = high heat load even just cruising (truck, esp 4x4 has a LOT higher wind resistance than the engine was meant for and different gear ratios) that the stock radiator couldn't keep up with.

As for the hitch, the truck as a whole is only rated for 3500lbs GTW. It'll do north of 5k, ask how I know, but not a good idea.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Jeep?
http://www.cotybuilt.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea , I've read that a bit too...

I figured the Volvo goodies will allow for better cooling capacity and has a larger intercooler and simplifies the wiring for the fan/cooling..dont have to mess with the toyota or the vw fan relay switches and have to mess around with wiring 2 to 3 different things to make one thing work. great that the Volvo radiator has a built in temp sensor that all you got to do is wire a + and -.. the + wire being the one that comes off the ecu pertaining to the fan or cooling relay

kamesama980 wrote:
I had a '90 Toyota. Great truck. As rusty as the body is, go over the frame with a fine tooth comb: They're fully boxed and like to rot from the inside out. Otherwise, they're tanks. IIRC there are conversion kits for 22RE trucks, not so much for the V6 due to using a different engine mounting points and transmission.

Glad you're upping the cooling capacity, I've read about a few conversions that people gave up on because it ran too hot: low power+turbo = high heat load even just cruising (truck, esp 4x4 has a LOT higher wind resistance than the engine was meant for and different gear ratios) that the stock radiator couldn't keep up with.

As for the hitch, the truck as a whole is only rated for 3500lbs GTW. It'll do north of 5k, ask how I know, but not a good idea.
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a fan of heeps...

and i got the truck for free pretty much.. and sorta want to convert it into a VW taro on the outside.. VW grill from a vw taro (i have a source for it in germany) (its a drop in replacement)... and a VW logoed steering wheel (source also in germany) that was meant for the VW taro but also fits any 89-95 toyota hilux (pickup)

ToolBox wrote:
How about a Jeep?
http://www.cotybuilt.com/
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: rear brakes Reply with quote

also if you didnt catch it, I am also going to do a rear Disc Brakes Conversion on it as well.. yes.. you read that right.. it has DRUMS! on the rear.. oy vey.. DRUMS!!! what a pita!
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, those toyota drums are massive overkill, work well, and last forever!

Also be mindful that the 'yotas have a load-sensing proportioning valve out back. I converted mine to a conventional brake system with a manual bias valve from summit or jegs or somewhere.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
VWfanboy28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

can u find the part if possible.. i tried looking.. didnt find it ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: