Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's going on with Porsche prices?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: What's going on with Porsche prices? Reply with quote

Pre 2011 the forums were answering the question how much would it cost for me to get into a driver 912 or 911. The answers were (depending) but on average 10-13K for the 912 and 18K and up for the 911. The 912 especially has gone through the roof. Other than the 50th anniversary what has happened? I see more posted for sale now then ever before so the supply hasn't dried up. I don't see that many more people buying. What am I missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for this question from someone Wink ....and you might not like my opinion.

Trust me.....I'm not trying to be bitchy or an asshole. Its a direct observation of what I have seen just lurking a bit over the past 3-4 years on numerous Porsche forums and talking to quite a few people offline.

1.From the cross section of people I have spoken to off line....real people many of which have had nothing to do with old cars of any kind.......because the economy has improved somewhat a lot of people have more disposable income. More than a few people are looking at getting into something they have wanted to for years.

This is also cyclic. As some people retire they finally have time for that restoration project they never had. Many people have retired or semi-retired......early due to poor employment.

2. From many of those people with disposable income....who were never really into classic cars of any kind......who never really knew there was any potential collectors value outside of concors muscle cars......the handful of crappy reality shows like Ass Monkey garage and others....has brought the car flipper investor cockroaches out of the woodwork.

I have met three people personally who are doing this. They have moderately deep pockets and great imaginations in marketing and loads of time and some of them travel in their main work.
This means that the market for old Porsches....and VWs....is not only active....but very visible to a larger cross section of the public.

That last point is important......because five years ago....outside of forums, garages, clubs and the track......old Porsches or old VWs or even old muscle cars....occupied virtually "0%" of the general publics' consciousness. Now they are visible. ....and a certain spectrum of the public who may have had or wanted a Porsche or VW long ago and moved on to other things.....rekindled that desire. Many of them also realized from pricing, condition and scarcity.....that if they want one.....they should not hesitate or haggle or price.....but get it while they can....so they are willing and able to pay the"buy it now" price...which just like ebay..screws with values.

Just like with houses.....every one desirable house in a neighborhood that sells above market value.....is one more benchmark for those in the "house-flipping" market to use as a tool to drive prices higher.

3. This forum and others like it is its own worst enemy. You wont like what I am going to say.....but here it is:

Over and above all other forums....I have never seen a forum with more questions asked or discussions about...."what is this worth"....."would this be a good investment"......."what years have better resale value"......"what mods should I do to increase or not affect resale value"........

Personally. ....I can tell you that if you are getting into aircooled cars in general as an investment or are worried about resale values.....you either have more time and money than sense. .....or are getting into this hobby/area for all the wrong reasons.

Some who have asked these questions with low or no post numbers are obvious car flippers.......others.....are newbys who finally realized that if you want one (Welcome!)....get them while you can because not only will Porsches not always be easy to find....certain critical engine parts of good quality are getting scarce. Its going to get harder to make a good running restoration.
Trust me....I restore 411 and 412....and that has always been harder than reatorimg any 914 or 911.

The 912 situation.....is one of the first telltales that a goodly portion of car-flippers and short term people have become involved. For decades the purist 911 owners and aficionados have turned their nose a little at the 912 and 914.....as the poor mans 911 and poor mans Porsche respectively.....and the low resale values have reflected that. They have been cheap to buy if one wanted one.

Those who are new to the market/hobby know nothing of the differences....they just the look at the badge/name.......and are easy to sell a 912 or 914 to.....for better available money (see more available disposable income comment above).

Add to this...as these markets have picked up a little.....you have items like the article several months ago in Hemmings motor news......about the 914 and 912 starting to become good investments. Articles like that only happen.....when cars/hobby segments are starting to become visible to the public.

You also have.....and the ACVW market is reflecting this a lot now....another wave of the "I want to be a hippie movement" happening again. When a 21 window micro bus sells at auction for $300,000 in the past two years.......a whole spectrum of the public and not all of it good for our hobby....stands up and takes notice. Not just of ACVW's......but of many cars of this era....and especially air cooled cars of this era...which include Porsches.

Other items. ...and this is just my opinion. .....there are so many forums for the Porsche 911.....that I think it was actually an action of dis-service.....to make this forum...especially centered in the Samba which is a VW site.....exclusively Porsche. It should have been kept 914, Porsche kit cars and 912 at a stretch .....which outside of one engine is basically type 4 VW. When you pump up a forum to a more exclusive level......you fuel the fires.
Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought out, and an astute observation.
Baby boomers are retiring, and like me, have probably always wanted one. In 20 years when the wave is over, the Porsches may become garage queens. That would really be a shame. I've spent my life wanting one but had other priorities, now the kids are on their own and I have the garage space the cars climb out of reach again. I've really enjoyed the VW restorations we've done and still want to move up the performance ladder but the current asking price for a solid restoration candidate is more than a nice driver just 5 years ago.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that some large part of the increasing value of air cooled 911s is due to the fact that the 996 & 997's M96 engine family, first introduced in the Boxster in '97, is an epic piece of shit that can catastrophically fail in an instant.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesatanicmechanic wrote:
I think that some large part of the increasing value of air cooled 911s is due to the fact that the 996 & 997's M96 engine family, first introduced in the Boxster in '97, is an epic piece of shit that can catastrophically fail in an instant.

Its possible.....especially for the segment (a limited segment) of the investing public who actually have knowledge of Porsche engines.

However...and I put this to you for your consideration....the vast majority of those investing at "buy it now" ....costs...which is driving a lot of the rising prices.....dont know a piston ring from a tire iron....and all they know about old Porsche versus new....is that Steve McQueen drove a 911...not a Boxster.

Also....when you speak to those who are in the car flipping frame of mind....who have no care or love for the 911, 914, 912...or Porsche anything (its just a cool looking, retro, collectible commodity to profit from).....

.....to them and the average, run-of-the-mill US person raised on a combination of Detroit iron and "kitchen appliance-esque" Japanese cars with no maintenance reliability until disposal mannerisms.....all Porsche engines...911 and 914 included....are epic pieces of shit......and from their point of view....they would be 100% correct.

In their mindset.....it does not matter that a 911 with proper care will outlast a Buick with a V-8 or a Camry with a butter smooth, soul-free twin cam four cylinder.......if in that gap between "0" and 250K miles....they have to invest any extraneous maintenance time or money.

A lot of the people snapping up 911 and 912 and even 914...have extra cash....and only a fraction of them will actually turn their own wrenches. Most have LOTS of cash (or think they have lots of cash)....many are turning their new finds over to restoration shops for obscene amounts of money....which means that now these nicely restored cars have a new price tag bench mark on their next sale (driving market prices higher).....or they are turning these cars over to restoration shops....and then finding out they really dont have enough money to do it properly.

So the resto shops will diligently do what the customer budget allows (hack)....and you have a next generation of hacked and poorly restored Porsche coming onto the market in the next 5 years.

Which means that the number of clean restorable examples will drop....and the price will climb again. ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When a 21 window micro bus sells at auction for $300,000 in the past two years

Small corrections as I assume you mean the "famous" Barrett-Jackson 1963 Bus:
23-Window. $200,000* It was in 2011.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a05hYEqF_Dw

Not sure it matters as it pertains to what you are posting but at least this Bus was nice.
I would be more concerned about the garbage Buses that buyers have paid around $100K for in the past few years.

*Actually $198K/$217K after fees
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:
When a 21 window micro bus sells at auction for $300,000 in the past two years

Small corrections as I assume you mean the "famous" Barrett-Jackson 1963 Bus:
23-Window. $200,000* It was in 2011.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a05hYEqF_Dw

Not sure it matters as it pertains to what you are posting but at least this Bus was nice.
I would be more concerned about the garbage Buses that buyers have paid around $100K for in the past few years.

*Actually $198K/$217K after fees

Actually you are spot on. I didn't want to slow down long enough to research the final details......but the gist was there.

Yes......very many buses and even bugs along with Porsche....and many old detroit cars.....are getting heavily hyped and prices are rising. Everyone wants a stylish old, car. We are even seeing asking prices on available 411 and 412.....are getting stupid. It do3snt mean anyone is buying those yet.....but its coming.

Oh....and a fine example of a piece of the mentality problem......is shown with great clarity in the thread just below this one "barn find".

While I appreciate that the original poster is a "fairly" true enthusiast........its also typical. In restoring old cars....there is no useful basis for worrying about the final resale value......unless you are doing the restoration simply as a combined means to:
A. Save another rare chassis and
B. To use the proceeds to strictly fund your main project/keeper.

The thought process of not wanting to buy a chassis to restore if it, does not have enough resale value to keep you from ending up "upside down"......in the value equation......is superbly wrong. If you are doing....do it because you want it.....and do it right. Otherwise you are generally just being a hacker or car flipper....of sorts.

You will almost always be "upside down" in costs for a proper restoration. Ray
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarity and Art value have some influence on prices and assuming all of us will live forever I can see a high price justification. There are so many other better cars out there MANY undeniably, more comfortable, better handling, better gas mileage with more features so is this price thing an aesthetics' and perception issue. Some people view Porsche drivers as snobs, twits, spoiled brats, or in the case of Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear who thought it amusing to destroy a driver 911 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh59e0_clarkson-kills-porsche-911_auto, complete a-holes.
Porsche drivers (Clarkson excluded) consider themselves to be, in a word "cool". They feel cool because the design is cool. No doubt about it because when Porsche deviates from the formula (think model 996) the resale value plummets and people go out and buy Miatas.
So are we paying for drivable art? to feel cool (jealous bystanders opinions be damned) or what exactly? I personally have always thought the car was cool and don't give a rip what any body else thinks, however I wish I thought this strongly about a car who's price isn't getting launched into the stratosphere; but you know what they say, what goes up...

Last edited by rkeller on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rkeller"]Rarity and Art value has some influence on prices and assuming all of us will live forever I can see a high price justification. There are so many other better cars out there MANY undeniably, more comfortable, better handling, better gas mileage with more features so is this price thing an aesthetics' and perception issue. Some people view Porsche drivers as snobs, twits, spoiled brats, or in the case of Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear who thought it amusing to destroy a driver 911 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh59e0_clarkson-kills-porsche-911_auto, complete a-holes.
Porsche drivers (Clarkson excluded) consider themselves to be, in a word "cool". They feel cool because the design is cool. No doubt about it because when Porsche deviates from the formula (think model 996) the resale value plummets and people go out and buy Miatas.
So are we paying for drivable art? to feel cool (jealous bystanders opinions be damned) or what exactly? I personally have always thought the car was cool and don't give a rip what any body else thinks, however I wish I thought this strongly about a car who's price isn't getting launched into the stratosphere; but you know what they say, what goes up...[/quote

Well said!
Ray]
Sailor Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most experts when it comes to values and the market have agreed that the 911/912 has simply been undervalued for years. This is a quote from hagerty (I believe). It isn't a bubble, they are simply gaining the value that they should have had years ago due to being one of the best built drivers cars you can purchase. If you have an opportunity to purchase one at a reasonable price, don't hesitate.
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken like a true care salesman. Razz
All kidding aside, for the sake of myself and other drivers (vs. collectors), I hope that is more hype than truth. I heard that about the 60s mustangs; and other than mint condition, number matching, original, low mileage, climate controlled garage queens, most have only had a modest increase in price. More along the standard supply and demand curve, maybe adjusted for inflation. The spike in older porsche prices since the 50th anniversary seems more like unrealistic exuberance.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Jerry wrote:
Most experts when it comes to values and the market have agreed that the 911/912 has simply been undervalued for years. This is a quote from hagerty (I believe). It isn't a bubble, they are simply gaining the value that they should have had years ago due to being one of the best built drivers cars you can purchase. If you have an opportunity to purchase one at a reasonable price, don't hesitate.

I can "buy" that to a certain extent...because compared to other cars of their era.....they are much better cars.

But....I also dont buy that at all......because those who expound on concepts like that.....are generally not the primary buying public (enthusiasts and hobbyist who actually do most of the owning and restoring). But that is changing....and the auction houses and restoration are moving to capilatize.

The vast majority of those who would make a statement like that are restoration/investment....dealers. The same methods are used to pump real estate prices in certain markets over time.

If you are looking at old cars like the 911...considering how many and how long they were made for.....from the investment point of view.......you are looking from the wrong direction. Autos are NOT a sensible investment because you can never recoup all of the effort and $ put into them.

Because Porsches...and really any of the Air cooled vehicles of the era......are difficult and expensive to do a REAL restoration on.....and their popularity has always been high.....restoration and auction houses MUST tell the public that the cars are undervalued....or else there is no way they can do a, proper restoration at high profit.

In reality the high costs of restoration on Porsche of any type from this era.....are primarily, due to the fact that parts in general.....and quality parts in specific........and above all clean, unrusted or un-bastardized chassis.....are getting harder to find.......and couple this with the fact that the Porsche owner/enthusiest group.......say....as compared to ACVW and muscle car owners........has the smallest pool of owners and new owners that do their own work.

So....even though in past....most resto work on Porsche was done by private owners......much more is being outsourced. Resto houses cant make any money on them unless they convince the buying pool that the cars are undervalued Ray
Sailor Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I can "buy" that to a certain extent...because compared to other cars of their era.....they are much better cars.

But....I also dont buy that at all......because those who expound on concepts like that.....are generally not the primary buying public (enthusiasts and hobbyist who actually do most of the owning and restoring). But that is changing....and the auction houses and restoration are moving to capilatize.

The vast majority of those who would make a statement like that are restoration/investment....dealers. The same methods are used to pump real estate prices in certain markets over time.

If you are looking at old cars like the 911...considering how many and how long they were made for.....from the investment point of view.......you are looking from the wrong direction. Autos are NOT a sensible investment because you can never recoup all of the effort and $ put into them.

Because Porsches...and really any of the Air cooled vehicles of the era......are difficult and expensive to do a REAL restoration on.....and their popularity has always been high.....restoration and auction houses MUST tell the public that the cars are undervalued....or else there is no way they can do a, proper restoration at high profit.

In reality the high costs of restoration on Porsche of any type from this era.....are primarily, due to the fact that parts in general.....and quality parts in specific........and above all clean, unrusted or un-bastardized chassis.....are getting harder to find.......and couple this with the fact that the Porsche owner/enthusiest group.......say....as compared to ACVW and muscle car owners........has the smallest pool of owners and new owners that do their own work.

So....even though in past....most resto work on Porsche was done by private owners......much more is being outsourced. Resto houses cant make any money on them unless they convince the buying pool that the cars are undervalued Ray
Auction houses and resto shops aren't who are driving the prices up, enthusiasts are. People realized they aren't just a status symbol but a real drivers car. Somebody like Hagerty has to follow values as that is their sole job and I would value their opinion over most. Here is a good explanation as to the values and some reasons why they were undervalued. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrP9irrLZk
And for the record, mine will never be for sale so I couldn't care less about where the values are going.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Jerry wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Auction houses and resto shops aren't who are driving the prices up, enthusiasts are. People realized they aren't just a status symbol but a real drivers car. Somebody like Hagerty has to follow values as that is their sole job and I would value their opinion over most. Here is a good explanation as to the values and some reasons why they were undervalued. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrP9irrLZk
And for the record, mine will never be for sale so I couldn't care less about where the values are going.

Yes and...no....well yes and yes actually.

Yes...enthusiasts are driving the prices up simply because there are more of them every day.

However...if you spend some time looking at the cross section of them across forums and meeting others in public....myou will find that the vast majority of new enthusiasts bringcvery little mechanical aptitude, skills and desire to do their own wrenching....to the table.....as compared to the enthusiest crowd of about 7 years ago and earlier. They bring money to the table....and are willing to just spend it to get the result.

In past years.....many enthusiasts who were looking for a project...were not willing to pay large prices for what they were willing/planning to do themselves.

The resto houses....many of which 10 years ago were primarily American muscle car....because thats where the market was.....are now switching to not only Porsche (should actually say including Porsche)....and other foreign makes. And....other private restoration experts are coming out of the woodwork.

Bear this in mind.....just like a house flipper or house restoration expert.....everytime you do a full or even partial resto.....and try to roll the added cost and profit into the finished product......you now have a new benchmark price for that product.

It may not fetch all of that price at an, aution......but it fetches a lot more than it, might have as a private resto without lots of labor time and over the top/ bought at market prime....parts costs added in.

And.....as you note......some of the newer groups of enthusiasts who look on these cars as an investment op.....use the benchmark auction prices as a benchmark illustration to price their cars....when their car which maychave even been self restored has nowhere near that level of labor and parts cost involved.

So yes.....its the enthusiest really....pimping the cost. ....but a good deal of the inflated pricing is provided by resto houses. Ray
Sailor Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes and...no....well yes and yes actually.

Yes...enthusiasts are driving the prices up simply because there are more of them every day.

However...if you spend some time looking at the cross section of them across forums and meeting others in public....myou will find that the vast majority of new enthusiasts bringcvery little mechanical aptitude, skills and desire to do their own wrenching....to the table.....as compared to the enthusiest crowd of about 7 years ago and earlier. They bring money to the table....and are willing to just spend it to get the result.

In past years.....many enthusiasts who were looking for a project...were not willing to pay large prices for what they were willing/planning to do themselves.

The resto houses....many of which 10 years ago were primarily American muscle car....because thats where the market was.....are now switching to not only Porsche (should actually say including Porsche)....and other foreign makes. And....other private restoration experts are coming out of the woodwork.

Bear this in mind.....just like a house flipper or house restoration expert.....everytime you do a full or even partial resto.....and try to roll the added cost and profit into the finished product......you now have a new benchmark price for that product.

It may not fetch all of that price at an, aution......but it fetches a lot more than it, might have as a private resto without lots of labor time and over the top/ bought at market prime....parts costs added in.

And.....as you note......some of the newer groups of enthusiasts who look on these cars as an investment op.....use the benchmark auction prices as a benchmark illustration to price their cars....when their car which maychave even been self restored has nowhere near that level of labor and parts cost involved.

So yes.....its the enthusiest really....pimping the cost. ....but a good deal of the inflated pricing is provided by resto houses. Ray

Problem with your theory is that the high dollar cars which are causing the ripple effect (in most part) haven't been restored. You can't compare the classic car market to housing because people don't view them anything alike. People aren't willing to spend extravagant amounts of money on housing because they are "house collectors". There is a certain amount of emotion that goes into car collecting for many people and that has a direct impact on where the market goes. The Vw Bus market had a similar issue and it wasn't because bus parts or "resto houses" drove up prices.
Porsche is the number one company when it comes to racing pedigree, and thats what I think is the biggest underlying factor in the recent value craze.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/bp/the-skyrocketing-pr...12849.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/26/spike-air-cooled-porsche-911-prices/
smoothfinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When split buses are bringing more than a majority of 912 and 911 Porsches what would you expect?

They look inexpensive!!!!

Remember it was still cool to have a Porsche when a split window was just a damn hippie bus.

The 912's are finally starting to command prices reflecting the money and time needed to bring these cars back to proper form.

For the most part, enthusiasts aren't doing all phases of a restoration themselves anymore.

And back to the split window comment: Try! and find a site dedicated to any other breed of car like TheSamba.com. Something so easy to use and well thought out. It makes these cars easier to track, sell, buy restore and catalog! Well done Everett! I think this comes into play tremendously.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothfinishes wrote:
And back to the split window comment: Try! and find a site dedicated to any other breed of car like TheSamba.com. Something so easy to use and well thought out. It makes these cars easier to track, sell, buy restore and catalog! Well done Everett! I think this comes into play tremendously.

x2, thanks Everett! Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good and valid points.....to each their own. But...I travel the country for a living. Coast to coast. I meet hundreds of people and many, many engineers, business owners, gear heads, car enthusiests etc.

When you hang out among car enthusiests like here on the Samba and elsewhere....those who want and work on Porsches and other makes of car....sre just like you describe.

But for the most part.....outside of those who have been in the circles for a while.....the vast majority of people I am meeting who are getting into Porsche and some VW lately ....as of the last five years or so.....are more along the lines as I have described in this thread

They have deep pockets, are concerned with resale as much or more than emotional attachment, are keen to collect cool and trendy items, have few mechanical skills or just little experience with cars....and are more into the image.

Far too many times the first line or so of conversation is...."hey...you seem to be into this stuff.....what do you think this is worth?"......followed by....."yeah.... I'm not worried about the aquisition cost as long as the resale value is higher than the resto cost".

And.....of course they are not "RESTORING".....these cars....as per the REAL definition of restored. They are spending money to replace expensive parts that are dead or rusted. ...and then shining, them up driving them....then flipping them. For some of these cars .....its a real improvement and price is pimped accordingly.

For many cars though.....its a combination of improvement, preservation...and hack. ..and the price is still pimped accordingly....and each time....people just like them.....in a hurry, plenty of cash and no discretion..m.mpay the pimped price and the circle continues.

And yes...it IS identical to house flipping.

Believe what you want....its probably all of the above. Ray
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
All good and valid points.....to each their own. But...I travel the country for a living. Coast to coast. I meet hundreds of people and many, many engineers, business owners, gear heads, car enthusiests etc.

When you hang out among car enthusiests like here on the Samba and elsewhere....those who want and work on Porsches and other makes of car....sre just like you describe.

But for the most part.....outside of those who have been in the circles for a while.....the vast majority of people I am meeting who are getting into Porsche and some VW lately ....as of the last five years or so.....are more along the lines as I have described in this thread

They have deep pockets, are concerned with resale as much or more than emotional attachment, are keen to collect cool and trendy items, have few mechanical skills or just little experience with cars....and are more into the image.

Far too many times the first line or so of conversation is...."hey...you seem to be into this stuff.....what do you think this is worth?"......followed by....."yeah.... I'm not worried about the aquisition cost as long as the resale value is higher than the resto cost".

And.....of course they are not "RESTORING".....these cars....as per the REAL definition of restored. They are spending money to replace expensive parts that are dead or rusted. ...and then shining, them up driving them....then flipping them. For some of these cars .....its a real improvement and price is pimped accordingly.

For many cars though.....its a combination of improvement, preservation...and hack. ..and the price is still pimped accordingly....and each time....people just like them.....in a hurry, plenty of cash and no discretion..m.mpay the pimped price and the circle continues.

You talk a LOT... and everything you say seems to be tinged by bitterness. You live in Iowa and your passion is 411/412? Need I say More. You have NO CLUE about this subject.

As 911 values have risen, the 912 (exactly the same except in engine and badging) has also risen in value.

VW People: Many people who have collected air-cooled often come to the final logical conclusion that a Porsche 912 is the Pinnacle of their car collecting achievement, A car they can work on and with limited knowledge even restore.

Non VW People: Still others see it as an affordable collectors car with excellent resale value. It can be driven to an elegant social affair and be brought to the track on Sunday and win. It looks elegant, the same as it's double-valued 911 brother.

411/412 Owners: You talk about flippers,people with deep pockets, and the "thousands of people you meet"... and it's all hot air. Generally your so broke you actually buy 411/412's and try and make them a science. Like Type III people only Type III people ultimately grow up and buy VW Busses. (Hi Ev!)

Like the Dino Ferrari, the 912 was always in line for this rise in price as the 911's value went up.

If I were into 411/412's I would be bitter also... now there is a car that will NEVER, ever be worth anything to anyone. A waste of time and money. NO collectors potential whatsoever.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

You talk a LOT... and everything you say seems to be tinged by bitterness. You live in Iowa and your passion is 411/412? Need I say More. You have NO CLUE about this subject.

As 911 values have risen, the 912 (exactly the same except in engine and badging) has also risen in value.

VW People: Many people who have collected air-cooled often come to the final logical conclusion that a Porsche 912 is the Pinnacle of their car collecting achievement, A car they can work on and with limited knowledge even restore.

Non VW People: Still others see it as an affordable collectors car with excellent resale value. It can be driven to an elegant social affair and be brought to the track on Sunday and win. It looks elegant, the same as it's double-valued 911 brother.

411/412 Owners: You talk about flippers,people with deep pockets, and the "thousands of people you meet"... and it's all hot air. Generally your so broke you actually buy 411/412's and try and make them a science. Like Type III people only Type III people ultimately grow up and buy VW Busses. (Hi Ev!)

Like the Dino Ferrari, the 912 was always in line for this rise in price as the 911's value went up.

If I were into 411/412's I would be bitter also... now there is a car that will NEVER, ever be worth anything to anyone. A waste of time and money. NO collectors potential whatsoever.

Hey asshole...I'm not actually from Iowa. Just here for a job. I have lived all of this country and around the world.

And my owning 411 and 412 have nothing to do with the prices of Porsche....just similar parts and origins and some of the same availability and rarity as 914......and I manufacture most every part for my cars that is not available..... from the ground up....its part of the industry I work in......skills and industry connections most Porsche owners do not have...so there is no bitterness at all.......and by the way....working on 411/412....I have also been working on 914's all of my life and have probably worked on more than most of those who post here.

And...you total dumb-ass....your last comment proves in part...exactly what I have been saying......not everyone gives a flying fuck if the car is collectible or has resale value. I restore them because like to drive them....period.

Most Porsche forum seem to be filled with an overabundance of zipperheads whose PRIME concern is "what can I sell it for" and "which one is more collectible........and you wonder why Porsche prices are rising.

Oh...you might want to take a look at the latest Porsche buyers guide out this month from Excellence magazine.....your prices just went up again by a few point just because of PR.

If you dont like how much I talk in forums...dont read it. Last I looked no one is holding a gun to your head or billing you for it.

You want to get bitchy and rude and make unnecessary bullshit comments...I can dish it out too. Wink Ray
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: