Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just bought the car with 142k miles. 5 speed manual tranny. It only came with a Valet Key. I bought a pair of Flip keys off Ebay, for $30.. paid the dealer to cut and program them.

then I added the KVW100 Window control module.. Now one click to lock rolls up the windows and closes the sunroof.. Love it!

Replaced worn out shocks with Koni Orange, awesome handling improvement, added 1" lift, and Panzer skid plate. Now I dont live in fear of cracked oil pan when pulling up to a parking spot.

the car had a 3000rpm power loss, with CEL and Overboost code. It would go into limp mode when merging onto the freeway. Frustrating!

5 go backs to try and solve the problem… replaced Maf, N75, and G-31 valves.. no luck, lighter wallet.

I figured cleaning the intake manifold would be next. One shop wanted to sell me a new turbo!

then my friend and fantastic mechanic vwhead of German MotorWerks researched online and found this

http://www.askatech.com/AskATechLive/forums/ResourceHandler.ashx?a=10929

step One, cleaning the grounds under the battery tray, solved the Overboost problem!

Now the car is really fun to drive, and I expect to see an increase, above the 36mpg it was getting

The Jetta is a small car, I can not fit lying down in the back, and flipping the back seat flat means the driver seat needs to move further forward than I like. 2wd and low clearance means it is not suitable for car camping on Big Sur dirt roads, but makes a fantastic freeway commuter.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fun cars to drive, but as you mentioned kinda hurt in the wallet area...I had a 2004 TDI GLS 5 speed, and averaged about 45 mpg...although it was a sedan, and not a wagon...
but definitely a fun car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandma has an '01 just like yours, but it's a GLX with a VR6. Nice cars... had I known they were coming out with a wagon version, I would've waited and gotten one instead of the sedan. The VR6 is quite the opposite of the TDI mpg-wise, but it's a blast to drive with. Very Happy

Grandma lost her driving ability several years ago and has willed her car to me. Quite nice of her, but I no longer want the car because my uncle, come to find to out, has been using it as his daily driver despite owning 4 cars of his own... and he's been beating the hell out of it because to him "it's just a VW". :2gunfire:

Anyway, in case you haven't stumbled upon it, here's an FAQ for that generation: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5187132-MK4Forum-Essentials-DIY-FAQ-amp-Resources-Guide .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
My grandma has an '01 just like yours, but it's a GLX with a VR6. Nice cars... had I known they were coming out with a wagon version, I would've waited and gotten one instead of the sedan. The VR6 is quite the opposite of the TDI mpg-wise, but it's a blast to drive with. Very Happy

thanks for the FAQ link
Yes, Im a big fan of Wagons.
I gave the Jetta to my daughter, and Im jealous of her fuel mileage and also that diesel presently costs less than gasoline.

Im Very impressed with the handling of the Jetta, and also the peppy motor with 5 speed Manual tranny.

The Jetta TDi is a great road car, recommended. I was told by my friend vwhead of German MotorWerks, that the 2003 is a particularly desireable TDi motor year. Im really glad I found one.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon Mechanic Wanted Reply with quote

Help request

This Jetta is stranded in Carlsbad, California for Thanksgiving.

Any suggestions on a reputable shop welcome. The car wont start. We have AAA.

Any mobile mechanics able to check on it would be even handier.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

What do you mean "won't start"?
Does the starter turn the engine over?

If so, does it sound like it's rotating faster than usual? (Broken timing belt)

Does the engine bay smell of diesel fuel & is the injection pump wet? (Pump lost prime due to leak)

Check the "anti-shudder" valve portion of the EGR valve, this devise shuts off air to the engine to prevent run-on or runaway engine conditions. On the passenger side of the engine, follow the large black intake hose as it goes into the intake manifold, it goes into the EGR valve. On the back side there is a lever actuated by a solenoid, if you push on the lever & it suddenly snaps free, then you should be able to start the car. You will need to (or have someone) remove the EGR valve & clean it (& probably the intake manifold too).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

thanks for the troubleshooting tips
timing belt was serviced 30k miles ago, when we bought the car w 140k miles.

The possibility of carbon buildup in the intake clogging the EGR valve is more likely possible.

I am 500 miles away from the car. One of my adult children drove it to see family out of town.

Im hoping someone, not me, can look at the car for us. I dont have detailed info on what kind of "the car wont start" situation, my kid is dealing with.

Our text messages were focused on, Where should I tell AAA to tow the car to? We had it towed to a family members house, while deciding what shop to tow it to next.

I have contacted rubbachicken, who lists mobile mechanic services in San Diego Area, and I have emailed BRU Automotive, a mechanic Ive used in the past, for a TDI install in a syncro, also in San Diego Area.

Hopefully one of those two will find time to help by the weekend

Happy Turkey day!

update 1

I sent my kid an EGR video showing how to wiggle the actuator. They did it, but the car is still crank with NoStart

The problem started when the car lost power going uphill and went into limp mode, then died completely. The fuel tank is 3/4 full.

Update 2.. kinda GOOD News
AAA says they will pay for meals, lodging AND the mechanical repair, up to $1500, thanks to their Trip Interruption Insurance, included in our Premier policy.

Wow! Shocked Cool Very Happy Very Happy

I LOVE AAA Today!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

Yeah... that's much more sinister than a simple won't start. At best a charging system fault, at worst it could be catastrophic failure of the engine due to cooling/oiling issues.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
At best a charging system fault, at worst it could be catastrophic failure of the engine due to cooling/oiling issues.

The oil was full at the pretrip inspection (500 miles before), and the car does not use oil. It got a new timing belt 20k miles ago, also a new battery and new glow plugs.

There had been power loss issues on the freeway, during the first 5k of ownership, 20k miles ago, where the car would be very reluctant to rev above 3000rpm, during freeway merging, and going up steep hills. All the smog system sensors have been replaced (which did not help). What seemed to really fix the power loss issue was cleaning the grounds under the battery tray (15k miles ago), they were very corroded.

since then there had been one other power loss event going uphill, about 4000 miles before the current power loss going up a hill.

What is different this time, is the car wont start afterward.

so, not out of oil, not out of water, not out of gas, not overheating, not a broken timing belt, not a dead battery.. afaik so far

I will share the outcome after a mechanic gets into it later today.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

We had a very similar problem with our '04 sedan TDI. It turned out to be a bad electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank. Take the bottom of the right rear seat out and there is an access panel to get at it if I recall correctly.
Nice car by the way! We lost our '04 TDI wagon to a roll over last summer and can't find a replacement. People just don't want to let them go!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It turned out to be a bad electric fuel pump

That is a very likely possibility atm.

All I know from the Dealer so far is that the car has a fueling problem. They tried replacing the fuel filter, which did not solve the no start problem.

They informed me the cost so far is $180. Im expecting AAA will be reimbursing the repair cost.

The Jetta is spending the weekend at the dealer. My kid is renting a car for the 500 mile drive home on Sunday, and will have to go back to get the Jetta after it is fixed..

We do love Driving our Jetta Tdi, and its 40mpg.

Sorry for your rollover loss, hopefully no one was hurt.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

There isn't an electric transfer pump in 03 & older TDIs.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There isn't an electric transfer pump in 03 & older TDIs.

thanks for the education Smile

I will share the outcome.. possibly next week

enjoy your weekend!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

update
Dealership says the timing was off, that the belt slipped. They say they were able to tighten it back and reset the timing, and that there was no valve to piston contact.

My local service mechanic disagrees with the dealership's repair, and says I should have the timing belt replaced, along with the tensioner and water pump.

Now for the bad news. None of it is covered by AAA Trip Interruption. Apparently mechanical repairs are Excluded from Trip Interruption, it actually only covers food, lodging, and transportation..

darn.. too good to be true

not only that, but we also have Vehicle Return coverage, that does not apply either. They will only return the vehicle home IF the driver got sick, NOT if the vehicle broke down and the driver had to end the trip and go home.

oh, and, even though we have enough tows remaining, we are not allowed to string tows together, unless we are present with the vehicle when it gets picked up..

soooo, no free repair, no free return of the vehicle, and no unattended tows, nor tows chained together

the bottom line is, the car is running again, Im not sure I trust the repair, and we now get to figure out how to do a 900 mile round trip to get the car back

Im loving AAA a little less now… aaargh!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

I didn't know the 03 don't have the boost pump, make sense though, they have a different injection system.

Yes there were a couple of minor injuries. Just temporary set backs and all good now.

I too would be very suspicious of that timing belt unless it was just recently done and the tensioner slipped.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

minor injuries from a roll over is fortunate, glad you're all well now.

best info Ive been able to glean from the service writer is that the dealers mechanic says there were no missing teeth on the belt

the timing belt was done 20k miles ago, by a mechanic that works for the used car dealership we got the car from. Not a lot of confidence in them. Still, I decided not to add $1500 to the bill, for timing belt replacement along w tensioner and water pump, at dealer prices, 450 miles away from home.

The ongoing fine print saga of AAA is that they told us, incorrectly, that we cannot have the car towed out of the dealership unless we are there at the time of pickup. The correct info turned out to be that we are allowed to be there at the drop off, instead. So were having the car towed 192 miles closer, to shorten the pick up drive. (our premier coverage gives us one 200 mile tow)

Im feeling lucky, so we are going to gamble and drive the car the remaining 250 miles to get home. If it does not grenade, Im hoping to wait until the next oil change, when I will ask one of our local mechanics, either Van-Cafe or Freds Garage, to inspect the timing belt and advise me on the adviseability of timing belt replacement, and cost. Im hoping to hear a slightly smaller number, as they tend to have very good prices.

Next oil change is in 2k miles, assuming the motor keeps running, my confidence in the health of the timing belt may increase, and it delays having to face the timing belt expense for a couple more months..

I will let you know if I was penny wise and pound foolish this time.. fingers crossed.

thanks for the brainstorming help
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

I confess to be quite jealous of that car! My understanding is that the '99 to '03 are the "best of the best" TDIs from a mileage and maintenance free driving stand point. Down 10 Hp from the '04s though but to me that is not an issue. I drive ours for it's superior fuel economy, reasonable long range comfort and great handling(for a family car that is). If I feel like snorting around I take the Porsche!

As I said earlier we had no luck finding another wagon so take good care of that one please. Meanwhile we are very happy with this '02 sedan that we found but my daughter is driving it while I fix her '92 Jetta... and now... she doesn't want to give it back! Rolling Eyes
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I confess to be quite jealous of that car!

Me too, she wont give it back either.. lol

I gave her the choice between the Jetta

or the Subaru

and I got "stuck" with half the gas mileage (plus AWD) Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
oprn wrote:
I confess to be quite jealous of that car!

Me too, she wont give it back either.. lol

I gave her the choice between the Jetta and I got "stuck" with half the gas mileage (plus AWD) Smile

Seriously? We are stuck with the wife's Subaru Forester! Almost 1/3 of the fuel mileage and while the acceleration is eye popping, it handles like a pig on roller skates and is the worse car I have ever driven on ice!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon first impressions, Fun Car! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
it handles like a pig on roller skates and is the worse car I have ever driven on ice!

My outback handles like a boat on a calm lake, it used to be like a boat in choppy seas Smile
I tried the stiffer dampers from the earlier year model, and it was way too harsh in compression damping, though better rebound damping

the Jetta otoh, is a joy to drive, tight and responsive without being jarring. I just love the way the Jetta drives. It has Koni Orange dampers.

To keep the Jetta from curbing the oil pan, I added a 1" lift and a skid plate.. it now clears, barely, the wheel stops in parking spaces.

I have not had the outback on ice, but fwiw, they are notorious for tail wagging once the rubber bushings in the lateral links wear out.. I replaced all those, even front lower control arms, plus sway bar bushings.. It all helped stabilize the car, especially laterally, though I have not been in snow with the car.. We have been living in the SF Bay area for the past 8 years.. it rains, but never snows.

as far as ice, short of studs, nothing Ive tried beats Nokian WRC tires. I lived in snow country (worked at the ski area in Santa Fe, NM) and drove an impreza for almost 10 years. When everyone else was stuck in their driveways after a snow storm, we could go wherever we needed to without any hesitation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: