Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interstate 10 closed indefinitely between AZ & CA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
My son-in-law just came back from a two week Marine Reserve training stint in 29 Palms. Not a palm tree to be seen. And nothing that lives there besides crows and cockroaches. The legend is that it was an Army property and the Army abandoned it as being uninhabitable, at which point the Marines stepped up and took it over. But that sounds like the Marine version of things! Wink

Not true.

It was a navy auxiliary air station in the 40's during WWII. Then became a marine base in the early 50's. It was never an army base.

As I understand it, General George Patton's Desert Training Center was headquartered near Desert Center, ( the area where the I-10 bridge collapsed)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Training_Center
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
My son-in-law just came back from a two week Marine Reserve training stint in 29 Palms. Not a palm tree to be seen. And nothing that lives there besides crows and cockroaches. The legend is that it was an Army property and the Army abandoned it as being uninhabitable, at which point the Marines stepped up and took it over. But that sounds like the Marine version of things! Wink

Not true.

It was a navy auxiliary air station in the 40's during WWII. Then became a marine base in the early 50's. It was never an army base.

As I understand it, General George Patton's Desert Training Center was headquartered near Desert Center, ( the area where the I-10 bridge collapsed)

Has nothing to do with 29 Plams though. Patton was never the commander of 29 Palms. Don't get me wrong. The army and others do train there. But it's a marine base. Has never been ran by the army.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

Not true.

Has nothing to do with 29 Plams though. Patton was never the commander of 29 Palms. Don't get me wrong. The army and others do train there. But it's a marine base. Has never been ran by the army.

Maybe Patton's guys went to 29 Palms for a little R&R because it is such a beautiful oasis??
Maybe??
Confused
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cali_Army_Guy"][quote="79SuperVert"]
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
My son-in-law just came back from a two week Marine Reserve training stint in 29 Palms.

I'm sure your son will agree will this, 29 Palms is horrible. Is he deploying to Afghanistan? I only ask cause that's where marines train before they deploy cause it's damn similar to Iraq and Afghanistan. Or does he live down there and just got stuck there for his 2 week a year thing?

He lives in Elizabeth, NJ and he went there for the 2 week a year thing. We asked him if he needed sun block and he said, no, the only part of him that would be exposed to the sun for the two weeks would be his hands! He had to wear his full gear including protective vest all the time. And yes, he said 29 Palms is horrible, but he takes it as a personal challenge and so didn't mind it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="79SuperVert"][quote="Cali_Army_Guy"]
79SuperVert wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
My son-in-law just came back from a two week Marine Reserve training stint in 29 Palms.

I'm sure your son will agree will this, 29 Palms is horrible. Is he deploying to Afghanistan? I only ask cause that's where marines train before they deploy cause it's damn similar to Iraq and Afghanistan. Or does he live down there and just got stuck there for his 2 week a year thing?

He lives in Elizabeth, NJ and he went there for the 2 week a year thing. We asked him if he needed sun block and he said, no, the only part of him that would be exposed to the sun for the two weeks would be his hands! He had to wear his full gear including protective vest all the time. And yes, he said 29 Palms is horrible, but he takes it as a personal challenge and so didn't mind it.

Yeah I've played the full gear game in triple digit heat. Did they make him wear MOPP gear with the gas mask at all? That's when you start to have fun and really sweat. You haven't lived until you've don't this 12hrs a day lol
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's good he doesn't mind it. The military is actually quite fun if you have the right mindset about it.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
That's good he doesn't mind it. The military is actually quite fun if you have the right mindset about it.

Yep. I hope he never gets called to active duty, but I think the training he has received in dealing with challenges big and small, coping with physical and mental discomfort, and maintaining physical fitness and mental alertness, will stand him and my daughter in good stead the rest of their lives.

I think it would be a very good thing if everyone could go through this type of training in their youth, regardless of whether they ever go into military service.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Yep. I hope he never gets called to active duty, but I think the training he has received in dealing with challenges big and small, coping with physical and mental discomfort, and maintaining physical fitness and mental alertness, will stand him and my daughter in good stead the rest of their lives.

I think it would be a very good thing if everyone could go through this type of training in their youth, regardless of whether they ever go into military service.

I agree wholeheartedly on both. I wish him luck in his military career and tell him thanks for serving.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Interstate 10 closed indefinitely between AZ & CA Reply with quote

I think we all agree that 29 Palms is an armpit. Like most towns in the stinking desert.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS --- Click here ---

http://www.pe.com/articles/highway-774438-bridge-repairs.html
I-10 to reopen Friday at noon. Both directions of traffic will use the westbound side until the eastbound bridge is fixed. "The speed limit will be reduced to 45 mph on the new route."

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
We gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run

Jerry Reed - East Bound and Down from Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
"The speed limit will be reduced to 45 mph on the new route."

I predict:

1. There will still be a big backup each way as 2 lanes merge into 1, even though it is in the middle of nowhere.

2. Because of that, speeds over that will be way less than 45mph in reality !!!

I'm not traveling that way until a few weeks yet. One co-worker got stuck in that, had to go east to Desert Center, then back to Indio, then south to I-8 returning to AZ.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it will be like 80mph to the 45 mph zone hang up then 80 mph again, you better beleive that ranger rick black and white will be writing citations.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I predict:

1. There will still be a big backup each way as 2 lanes merge into 1, even though it is in the middle of nowhere.

2. Because of that, speeds over that will be way less than 45mph in reality !!!

Absolutely; it will be more like 10-15 mph with lots of idling in between. Road construction is bad enough when they dump each side down to one lane (had the pleasure of enduring that on 10 at the beginning of the year), this will be just as bad, if not worse. Mad

I'll be sticking with 62 and 40 until the bridge is fixed... just have to add a couple of extra hours to my time schedule. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you doubters, are you going to tell me that you haven't seen cars on a NASCAR track bunched together closer than this yet going way faster than 45? Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click on the photo at the beginning of the updated article to open up a 12 photo slide: http://www.pe.com/articles/bridge-774569-eastbound-repairs.html
"Repairs on eastbound bridge expected to be finished by the end of September ..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience last time the 10 to S. CA was down to 1 lane for a while was speeds around 30-35mph through the constricted area if no workers were present.

If workers were present, 10-15 MPH and randomly sitting there stopped a few times.

YMMV
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patton museum is at Chiriaco Summit on I-10 between Desert Center and Indio.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's been a few weeks now. So has ANYONE actually driven this way on Interstate 10 since the detour/repair/single lane and can report on how much delay extra time this will take. like "20 minutes, Cuss" ? Thanks.

Or is detour to Interstate 8 recommended ?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had had a nasty wreck at 1:10 amm this morning and probably closed for a while.

closed due to crash

On Interstate 8, West-bound from mile post 151.0, 0.60 miles West of SR-84 to mile post 139.0, 5.50 miles West of Vekol Valley Rd

Duration
August 11 from 1:13 A.M. Until Further Notice

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I10 was fine last week for me.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
OK, it's been a few weeks now. So has ANYONE actually driven this way on Interstate 10 since the detour/repair/single lane and can report on how much delay extra time this will take. like "20 minutes, Cuss" ? Thanks.

Or is detour to Interstate 8 recommended ?

I haven't driven it but my sources tell me that currently the delay is going to be like "14 minutes, Cuss". So it will take you only 14 minutes extra to drive the 46.5 miles from Desert Center west to the intersection of I-10 & CA86 (actually Dillon Rd) located just east of Indio. At this real-time traffic map website http://www.metro.net/interactives/511/ look at the map insert in the bottom right corner. Click on RC (for Riverside County). Drag and zoom-in on that map until you find Desert Center, which is about 2.5 miles east of the bridge collapse. On the map just east of Desert Center is a Message Sign icon. There might even be an actual road sign there. ¿Quién sabe? Mouse over the icon and it will show you the current time to Dillon Rd (and two other destinations). Currently it is 54 minutes, for an average of 50.7 mph.

This map shows that the normal time, before the bridge collapse, for that same distance is 40 minutes. https://goo.gl/maps/EjMoA
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Randall !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: