Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

here's a short run down of my bus and my plans. I have a 1978 VW bay window bus that has a 2332cc beetle engine in it. The motor is duel weber 44 carbed, fresh transmission rebuild, with a magnaspark ignition system on the engine. their is an added exterior oil cooler mounted in the engine compartment( where I plan to mount a fan as well). I have added an oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge, and a tac. Me and some friends are planning on going on a cross country road trip this coming summer. what are some tips for the preparation, and the maintaining of my bus from people who know what their talking about. Any help is welcome.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Welcome!

That's one heckuva 1st post.

Your question is really broad and you'd probably benefit from reading lots of existing threads.

I'll start:

Have you replaced all fuel lines?

Best of luck!
(sold - but not forgotten)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

yea wow that's a lot. I'd like to see pictures of that

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daniel51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

I can post some pictures tomorrow
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Make room for bringing a replacement long block. and tools along with:

credit card
AAA towing
your friends credit cards
Beer. Laughing

Where in Kentucky do you call home?
as i have family there...Hopkinsville for one town.

We all will watch your trip and hope it is a good one.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

In the first 12,800 miles of my road trip, the only tools I needed were feeler gauges, a 13mm wrench, and a 21mm wrench to drain the oil. After that is when shit got interesting.

Good luck with your trip; learn as much as you can about your bus, because when you have the cylinder head in your lap two thousand miles from home, you'll want to be able to tell if it's the left or right head and be 100% certain. I know that's a silly metaphor. But knowledge is power, and no amount of boring and stoking can match that kind of power.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Depending on your route, I hope you're familiar with those Webers, they are really sensitive to altitude. I've had several instances where I was just able to make it to the top of a large climb right as the engine flooded.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Keep your speeds down and definitely set up a network of people to support you on the road. Find a way to give back to the community to pay this back....creating media and pictures is not " giving back" it's just self-promulgation.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
....creating media and pictures is not " giving back" it's just self-promulgation.

TRUE DAT!
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

oil cooler in the engine comparment? you'd be better off putting it somewhere outside
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Get yourself a nice set of tools. Then get yourself a few replacement parts. Then learn how to use the tools and install the replacement parts. Then do a lot of reading here on the samba. Then chart your course and identify places where you can get help along the way. Then have a support system you can reach out to when the SHTF.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
oil cooler in the engine comparment? you'd be better off putting it somewhere outside

Or simply removing it. In the engine compartment, even with the proposed fan, the heat will go to engine compartment air, which is used to cool the heads. The warmer that air is (warmed by the oil cooler) the less effective the air cooling is.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

More important than the things you posted is: How well do you know your bus? How long have you had it and how far have you driven it?

Have you maintained all the things that need to be maintained - fuel lines, adjusting valves, etc...

Are you comfortable doing work on it?

If it is well maintained and you are familiar with it and can work on it, you should be fine.

I have driven my bus all over and drove a Super Beetle across country - they are very dependable and tenacious when well maintained.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Your question is really broad and you'd probably benefit from reading lots of existing threads.

Definitely.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

If you're running a built Beetle engine in a bus designed for a type IV, you need to make sure the engine compartment is fully sealed or you'll overheat pretty quickly. If you can see the ground under the bus from anywhere inside the engine compartment you'll have to seal it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

The only thing you need to do is put 750-1000 local miles on it,
note oil consumption & carry enough oil for the trip + oil change.
Don't get caught in the middle of nowhere with no lube.
As far as tools, once you witness your buses behavior driving locally,
you'll know what tools to take, or even if it's safe to leave your home state.
You are planning far enough ahead to have a stable bus to drive anywhere,
enjoy your Summer Bus Tour 2017.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

What they said and:
I would add a cylinder head temp gauge, and take it out for some runs fully loaded as you plan to travel. Make notes on what the gauges tell you for the driving you are doing, kind of as a benchmark so you know the parameters you have to work with. Make your traveling companions commit to driving the bus within those parameters, unless you are going to do all the driving.
Spend some effort getting the engine and brakes tuned and ready to go, the right tires and a spare, lay in parts not readily available on the road, and stash a few hundred in cash on board for the ohshit fund.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Slow 1200 wrote:

Or simply removing it. In the engine compartment, even with the proposed fan, the heat will go to engine compartment air, which is used to cool the heads. The warmer that air is (warmed by the oil cooler) the less effective the air cooling is.

I have over 20k worth of miles with my cooler in the engine bay and I've had no issues at all. With either oil or head temps, this should not be an issue. A well tuned engine, some basic tools, basic knowledge, AAA membership, lots of money and/or Ccard should be fine. Oh yea, if something happens don't freak out.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
daniel51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window on a 10,000 mile road trip Reply with quote

Now THAT is the quintessential party bus!
Go forth and conquer! Cool

(Are you sure that's an oil cooler? Could be the refrigerant coil for the kegerator...)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: