Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hebmuller -Northern Ireland. Info wanted
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Hebmuller -Northern Ireland. Info wanted Reply with quote

Does someone knows more about the identity of this hebmuller that was last seen in Ireland and rests now in a privat collection in the UK. We need to find out what chassis it is, and what hebmumber is in the front. All info is welcome.
Records say it is heb 62 but I have doubts on it, I have 2 different vin nrs on this so we need to clear this out. I believe it is a 50's heb and not that early as 62. Previous owners are Robin Arkle and Fred Metson or Matson.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I received this photo from Bob Shaill so many years ago and had info on the back . . .

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Metson still owns the car. I will send you his details.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich. You are the man. If you know the owner, you can ask if it is ok that I contact him or he contact me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Metson is a very private man, and unless time has mellowed him, I would be surprised if he responds. When in Northern Ireland many years ago, I contacted him, and because he knew my name via friends/contacts, as a 47 Beetle, and 1943 Kubel owner, and therefore a 'Genuine' enthusiast, he agreed to meet me, and show me his private collection, of which this Hebmuller was a part.

It was like something out of a James Bond movie, bearing in mind this was during the times of the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland. He agreed to pick me up at a certain place, which I subsequently learned was where ladies of the night congregated, and a friend dropped me off at the rendezvous point, where Fred showed up. This friend tailed Fred & I in his Range Rover, just to make sure that I wasn't being abducted!

When I pointed out that he was being tailed, but not for sinister reasons, he laughed, and showed both of us around his collection. It all seems so long ago now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, Thanks for the input.
I have a contact nr now from him. Did you take picts of the heb? and if so, what nrs are in the front? That is the only thing I want to know. The Vin I have is to big young for a heb, the other is to old for that style of body.
I think I or someone mixed up some nrs in the past. I have to solve that issue. I want to know what car we are dealing with.
Maybe you can find out more as a door opener.. Idea

Thanks
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When invited to see someone's private collection under these circumstances, the last thing you do is to start taking photographs! I don't even think I had a camera with me. Walking around Northern Ireland during those times with a camera was asking for trouble, even putting your life at risk, especially if you were English!

If Rich can send me his contact details, then I'll contact Fred to see if he is happy to provide me with the car details. I'd like to speak to him again after all of this time, and know that his personal lifestyle has changed in the meantime.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.
I was able to contact the owner this morning.
I got confirmation the heb is still in his hands and that it is not nr 62 as it is in the registry. Somehow, this nr was put in the past on the car but is not correct. Embarassed we will change that. The car is a 50 car, and was brought back from Germany by an Service man in the Army. That was in mid 50, only 5 or 6 years old heb brought to the UK, then it was used by the man and later sold tot the current owner.

Again, the help of the world wide comunity is great for hebmuller research. Cool
Case closed. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: