Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuning options in early 1960
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Tuning options in early 1960 Reply with quote

My convertible was built in Osnabruck at the Karmann factory in December 1959 and then shipped to New York. It was first registered in the US in January 1960.

If the first owner would have wanted some extra performance of his 36hp VW engine what would have been the latest tuning options at that time? Say late 1959, early 1960?

I checked the sticky in this section by John Moxon for any relevant magazine articles from 1960 but unfortunately that year is not on the list.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning options in early 1960 Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
My convertible was built in Osnabruck at the Karmann factory in December 1959 and then shipped to New York. It was first registered in the US in January 1960.

If the first owner would have wanted some extra performance of his 36hp VW engine what would have been the latest tuning options at that time? Say late 1959, early 1960?

I checked the sticky in this section by John Moxon for any relevant magazine articles from 1960 but unfortunately that year is not on the list.

I wouldn't get too obsessively tied to a date...all the hop-up equipment advertised in the early EMPI catalogs...the supercharger and twin carb options would all be current in 1960 and form the popular options. Not many VW owners would be looking to immediately modify their cars...first you need to break it in and then start thinking about options. By that time it's 1962. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you are right John. On the other hand people chip tune their car now also right from the dealer. Might be interesting to know if people fitted their brand new VWs with dual carbs or a Judson back then? Any way thanks for the thought John.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
Guess you are right John. On the other hand people chip tune their car now also right from the dealer. Might be interesting to know if people fitted their brand new VWs with dual carbs or a Judson back then? Any way thanks for the thought John.

Well I'm sure some enthusiasts did but your average Joe would have been wary of invalidating their VW Warranty. VW as you probably know didn't encourage modifications in any way to their products. VW dealers were threatened with the withdrawal of their franchise if they fitted unautorised accessories and hop-up kits.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks picked up their new cars at the factory, and took them straight to Okrasa for modification. I've known of a few over the years that were done this way.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning options in early 1960 Reply with quote

back then there was not a lot of speed parts out there .there was after market exhaust from Germany . two kinds of super chargers Judson and Pepco roots type super charger . a lot of guys back then would buy dual carb sets from Germany the 019 and 010 dizys were used .reground cams could be found back then . I am sure there were a lot of home made intake manifolds . good luck spencerfvee
MDKG wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pdf from the archives from a 1960 Hot Rod magazine on building a 36 hp...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/magazines/hotrod_6_60/Hot_Rod_June_1960_VW_Article.pdf

Its a pretty cool article about building a stroker Denzel motor, Its a little hard to get the parts but its a good read.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out that article Casey! That is indeed a great article and very interesting to read. Now I only have to locate a NOS EMPI Denzel kit Laughing !
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1408021

I have an old copy of this that's worth a read about early tuners on 36'rs

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: